57 Ford

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 57 Ford

What do you guys think about cherrying out a 57 ford; install a nice oak flat bed with ss strips and removable sides, new paint, a motor with a little rumble to it, some attractive graphics and to be used as a novelty item for your biz; maybe used just cruz to give estimates?

I can get one that has been in a garage for over 5 years for 2k and it runs! It has its original motor but you have to add lead to the gas. It will need at least 10-15k worth of work; body work, floor boards, new crate motor/tranny, brakes, etc.. I was also thinking, what if I could just reuse the body and mount it on something more modern. Anybody have a clue what frame would matchup with minimal work?

Once I go FT I'll park that sucker out front,, on the grass! sideways, with the bed 1/2way in the dump mode.
    If you feel that you must burn our flag, please wrap yourself in it first.

I like the idea.

Less bling is better.
    GEEVEE®, Pat.Pend. TM, UL

If you're gonna be dumb, you better be tough

Comment

Wheel base is about all you'll have to worry about.....
      GEEVEE®, Pat.Pend. TM, UL

If you're gonna be dumb, you better be tough

Comment

FIL used a mid seventies full size ford frame (Continental) and running gear, putting a 53 p/u on it.
        BUY IT!

Comment

I like the idea of running classic bodied trucks on modern frames as lawn trucks but never looked into it because it would be cost prohibitive. For an estimate truck/advertising it would probably work though.
          -Rich

Ron Howard: Is that... vodka... and wheat grass?
          Homer: It's called a "lawnmower". I invented it. Want one?

Comment

i think it would be wicked, if you could tow your trailer with it im sure it would be a hit.
            48" Exmark lazer ct
            32" bradley WB, 10.5 briggs
            (2) 48" 14hp john deere WB's
            72" Grasshopper 928D
            shindawa 261 trimmer
            shindawa 261 edger
            8hp WB blower
            kawaski K400A backpack blower
            MTD 3.5hp WB edger
            husky 28cc stick edger
            weedeater 22" hedgetrimmer
            5x16 leaf trailer with 13hp loader
            6' x 16' tandem trailer pulled by a..
            98' Chevy Silverado 2500 long bed

Comment

It'd stand out that's for sure but I seriously doubt I would tow anything with it. It would just be a novelty item.
              We have a local rock supplier that parks his old school Ferrari out front with his company name on the door and tons of people just stop to look at the car. He company name is definetly known throughout town.

Comment

I like the idea. I have a soft spot for old trucks. I have toyed with the idea myself. Someday. The transfer of the body to a new frame might require a lot of cutting and welding. It might be easier to put a new(er) engine and transmission in the old truck, with new mounts etc.

Might want to check out hotrodders dot com for advise.
                Noli nothis permittere te terere

Comment

Lindblom RJ,
                  Sweet site, I'd love to have a T-bucket like they're doing up.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott
                    What do you guys think about cherrying out a 57 ford; install a nice oak flat bed with ss strips and removable sides, new paint, a motor with a little rumble to it, some attractive graphics and to be used as a novelty item for your biz; maybe used just cruz to give estimates?

I can get one that has been in a garage for over 5 years for 2k and it runs! It has its original motor but you have to add lead to the gas. It will need at least 10-15k worth of work; body work, floor boards, new crate motor/tranny, brakes, etc.. I was also thinking, what if I could just reuse the body and mount it on something more modern. Anybody have a clue what frame would matchup with minimal work?

Once I go FT I'll park that sucker out front,, on the grass! sideways, with the bed 1/2way in the dump mode.
                    Scott - I hate your gutts - you just stole the idea I had for 8 years!

Kick arse though - follow through! Have a graphic artist design some old school logo for the doors.....that's my only request.
                    2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 and future 2015 LSF RECEPTED AWARD recipient!

Hortikulture Kolledge Grad + Licensed Master Irrigator + Certified Backflow Technician +
                    Licensed Fert & Squirt Applicator = Jack of all trades, master of none.

Comment

I would take the engine, transmission (5 or 6 speed), computer, and wiring harness from a ~1990 to ~2005 or so Mustang GT or Cobra (find a wrecked one with a good drivetrain) and put in it. I'm partial to the 5.0 liter myself. The frame may have a bit of a time with it if you plan on running it hard though.
                      Woody

"Those willing to give up a little liberty for a little security deserve neither security nor liberty." ---Benjamin Franklin

"This country, with its institutions, belongs to the people who inhabit it. Whenever they shall grow weary of the existing Government, they can exercise their constitutional right of amending it, or their revolutionary right to dismember or overthrow it." ---Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by Woody
                        I would take the engine, transmission (5 or 6 speed), computer, and wiring harness from a ~1990 to ~2005 or so Mustang GT or Cobra (find a wrecked one with a good drivetrain) and put in it. I'm partial to the 5.0 liter myself. The frame may have a bit of a time with it if you plan on running it hard though.

yeah I like the 5.0 setups. Not too big but big enough. I'll see if I can snap a few shots of it this next week. If I know my buddy, he has it all covered in fishing gear. The last time I saw it, about 4 years ago, it was parked in my buddys garage. We where changing out a shot motor in a 72 ranchero with a summit crate unit. I tried to talk him into putting the motor in the truck but he said he had bigger plans for it. Now he's offering to sell it to me. I think his wife unit is tired of parking in the driveway.

Comment

Originally posted by MASTERMOWER
                          Scott - I hate your gutts - you just stole the idea I had for 8 years!

Kick arse though - follow through! Have a graphic artist design some old school logo for the doors.....that's my only request.

also when I park it out front, I'll lean a seasoned shovel against the bed too. Now that would be cool.

Comment

yeah I like the 5.0 setups. Not too big but big enough. I'll see if I can snap a few shots of it this next week. If I know my buddy, he has it all covered in fishing gear. The last time I saw it, about 4 years ago, it was parked in my buddys garage. We where changing out a shot motor in a 72 ranchero with a summit crate unit. I tried to talk him into putting the motor in the truck but he said he had bigger plans for it. Now he's offering to sell it to me. I think his wife unit is tired of parking in the driveway.
                            If you buy it (err WHEN you buy it), you better get crankin' on the restoration or else your wife unit will get tired of it as well.........

Now I'm just awaitin the pics.
                            2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 and future 2015 LSF RECEPTED AWARD recipient!

Hortikulture Kolledge Grad + Licensed Master Irrigator + Certified Backflow Technician +

Comment

also when I park it out front, I'll lean a seasoned shovel against the bed too. Now that would be cool.
                              How bout resting an old school "seasoned" reel mower up against the bed as well?

Comment

Working...
                              X