What's the next step?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's the next step?

Yesterday we got our business license. Today we set up our business checking account. For about the last month we have been handing out business cards and fliers. We sent out around 200 postcards to residences. We have given real estate companies around 100 fliers. We have only acquired a few customers. We have purchased a fax machine, converted our home phone acct to a commercial acct so it can be listed in the yellow pages, and we have set up our accounting software.
    What else do we need to do though to make this a legitimate business? I have heard mentioned an EIN but I'm not sure if we need it or what it is for since we don't have any employees yet.
    Right now we are only cutting around 5 lawns a week. I am having to go to a temporary labor service and work so that I can pay my bills. I have three kids and need to work somewhere until the business picks up. Any suggestions on how to get more people to call? I have had several people that I have quoted tell me that they will call when it needs mowed again but they never do.
    Thanks in advance for your help.

You keep refering to we. Is this business a partnership?

As far as not getting any calls back from those that said they would call you back try doing follow ups. Either call or inperson if you are in their area. Many misplace business card, fliers etc. that have your contact number and may need this info again.
    Wayne

"If the grass on the other side of the fence appears greener...it must be all the fertilizer they are using!" (Kevin Rodowicz)

Comment

Originally posted by multimark
      Any suggestions on how to get more people to call?
      Come into the business through a different door ... you don't have to start with mowing that requires high start up equip ... (truck, trailer, mowers, blowers, string trimmers, gas cans, tool boxes, parts, rakes, shovels, this gizmo and that in an endless list) give yourself a break .... start with (labor intensive first) with very little low start up equipment, later add the other services when cash flow improves and you can invest in advertising.

Grounds maintenance can be an offshoot to other things, not your "main gig" ... but a "side event" ... what else can you do ... that has low entry cost? Many other services can be sold to homeowner and commercial markets that require mostly labor. Why complicate things and make it that much harder to make a buck via self employed?

Comment

whats work so far for me

Keep handin out the flyers find new homes
        go through neighborhoods knock on each door of each house no matter what the house looks like go to everyhouse you see make sure you look nice dress up a lil. presentation is EVERYTHING !
        offer somthing that no one else is. right now im offering 50% off the first month with a year contract its working good for me.
        if they ask for a price walk the yard with them and talk about what you can do for them . get into a local newspaper that is sent out to all the houses.
        Goodluck~

Comment

THis is a similar situation to my business. I started out just door to door canvasing and distrubuted some fliers. By the end of the summer i had my fathers friends helping me out.
          I think you have set the foundation for the business. Im assuming you have a 21" mower so make sure you are cutting it as well as possible. Make it beautyful then work off your job and how good it looks.
          THis business is all about the job and how it looks. keep that in mind.

good luck to your business and your family.

Comment

Working...
          X