Should I go into business?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Fvstringpicker View Post
    Don't worry about the "child" part. Extremely easy to get around. Check your options and don't be misled. BTW, its not illegal for a minor to enter into a contract; its just not enforceable. However, if a minor wishes to treat a contract with an adult as valid, the adult is bound by it. Almost all are voidable only at the minors option. A number of states have made a minor's business contracts enforceable through statue or court decisions.
    Is this the rule in all states? If only I signed the contract, but me and my parents both signed the business license, would the contract still be good?

Comment

Originally posted by OLD HAT
      Dont worry about the contracts, my clients could care less about them. Besides most of them will not even think you are not of age to sign on a contract.
      I wasn't really planning on using contracts just because I thought they wouldn't be any good since I'm a minor. I probably wouldn"t anyways even if I could just because I don't think I would need them around here. It was just a thought.

Comment

Originally posted by CollegeCash View Post
        Is this the rule in all states? If only I signed the contract, but me and my parents both signed the business license, would the contract still be good?
        Your dealing primarily with civil law. Rather than mislead you, I need to know what type contracts you're talking about. You may be getting the cart before the horse. A contract can be either orally or written. By definition, a contract is nothing more than an agreement between two or more people. An enforceable contract has to be between two or more competent people. Technically, if you agree to cut someones yard, you have entered into a contract. Assuming you have the support of your parents, let your parents set up the business and you perform the labor. Your Dad may need to become more involved than he originally intended to.

Comment

Just forget all the legal shmegal-

Go out and cut some residential with what you have. Let the cash flow direct your purchases.

And it should be all positive cash flow. Don't borrow, F the insurance, and you'll be fine. There are thousands upon infinty that operate this way, and they're adults with families.....

Taking a chance? Not really, you can't get blood from a rock. Be reliable, and you'll get work. Underpromise and over deliver, and you'll have more work than you can shake a stick at.

I too, have respect for your initiative, but less than for others here who have recommended you do everything by the "book" . They take themselves far too seriously..... This industry, (loosely worded) is always going to be beset by folks enjoying low start up costs, and operating under the radar. (those zealots must have trouble operating their pisswink business that they're worried about you taking thier business from them.) You do as I say, Under promise and overdeliver, be honest and reliable using your ethics and morals instilled in you by your parents, and you'll earn, make and save, plenty of money for college. If you truly are successful, you'll have assests worth selling when you need to move on to post secondary education, to bolster your saved earnings.

Its very simple, insure yourself. You break a sliding glass door? Get it fixed.

Drive responsibly and carefully, with whatever insurance you have for the vehicle at hand.

If you want to piss away dollars worrying over insurance, licensing, bank accounts, fine, your choice. But I suggest its hardly worth it.

MILLIONS of Lawndaryls with more to lose operate with NONE of the usual trappings. Further, another MILLIONS have those things, and STILL can't call themselves a business.

You'll be fine.
          GEEVEE®, Pat.Pend. TM, UL

If you're gonna be dumb, you better be tough

Comment

Not a bad synopsis of the real world GV. Like I tell my classes, civil law comes into play when things go wrong. Show me a guy who never pushes the envelop and I show you a guy who's at the end of the line.

Comment

Originally posted by GeeVee View Post

Go out and cut some residential with what you have. Let the cash flow direct your purchases.

And it should be all positive cash flow. Don't borrow, F the insurance, and you'll be fine. There are thousands upon infinty that operate this way, and they're adults with families.....

Taking a chance? Not really, you can't get blood from a rock. Be reliable, and you'll get work. Underpromise and over deliver, and you'll have more work than you can shake a stick at.

I too, have respect for your initiative, but less than for others here who have recommended you do everything by the "book" . They take themselves far too seriously..... This industry, (loosely worded) is always going to be beset by folks enjoying low start up costs, and operating under the radar. (those zealots must have trouble operating their pisswink business that they're worried about you taking thier business from them.) You do as I say, Under promise and overdeliver, be honest and reliable using your ethics and morals instilled in you by your parents, and you'll earn, make and save, plenty of money for college. If you truly are successful, you'll have assests worth selling when you need to move on to post secondary education, to bolster your saved earnings.

Drive responsibly and carefully, with whatever insurance you have for the vehicle at hand.

If you want to piss away dollars worrying over insurance, licensing, bank accounts, fine, your choice. But I suggest its hardly worth it.

MILLIONS of Lawndaryls with more to lose operate with NONE of the usual trappings. Further, another MILLIONS have those things, and STILL can't call themselves a business.

You'll be fine.
              If I get sued for hurting someone, I'll call you to pay for it for me!!!

I see what you are saying, but I can afford to insure myself, so why not do it?

Comment

Yea , lets be real... I agree with Geeves

Originally posted by GeeVee View Post

You'll be fine.
                I know you guys wanna give the kid a good education about the law , but if he wants to make a few bucks cutting lawns why do anything to discourage him?????

I know a kid in my old neighborhood who uses an old push mower we removed from the curb and an old ridon and weed-eater cutting a good 80 laws a week in the summertime....

Pays his car insurance and helps his single mom out along with his little brother.....

I think i went into this a few years ago so wont rehash the story but even in a worst case scenario i highly doubt hes gonna end up in jail unless somthing really stupid an negligent is done.....

I saw that Judge Matthews on TV where a 15 yr old sued a guy who tried jerking him around for $90 bucks and the older guy started quoting law to the judge and how he legally didnt have to pay.....

The Judge asked him 1 question .... Has that boy cut your lawn X and X amount of times sir because i know what the law is and the guy goes yes but ........

No buts sir , you pay the boy what you owe him plus im gonna amend the suite for wasting the young mans time , slaps down the gavel and orders the fart to pay the kid $1000 extra for harassment or somthing.....

Who hasn't done work on the side before they were legal ?????

I know i did !!!!!!!

Getting too technical about anything leads to people never trying anything because the quickest way to fail at somthing is to never try anything failing life , because your too scared to try, so the theory is correct but i dont think any judge is gonna put anyone underage on death row for making a hard working buck over a contract issue cutting grass.....

Its not atomic science....

I remember i went to court years ago with a buddy about some misdemeanor ticket he had and their was a cop their breaking some kids gonads about 1/10th of an ounce of pot or somthing piddly caught at some party....

The cop wants the judge to throw the book at the kid , then the judge asked the kid if he was selling the stuff or just useing it for personal use at some party he was caught at?????

The kid says i was just gonna smoke it for myself its like 1 cig sir...... the judge asked the DA if he had a problem with the kid considering it was 1 cig and not a drug deal in progress ,the prosecutor laughs says no problem your honor and dismisses the silly case ......

Everyone laughed as the judge reamed the dopey cop out for wasting the courts time and the cop left with his tale tucked between his legs.....

I know there's always exceptions but the sun could explode tommorrow also so do we live while were here or legally , or semi legally do what we can while were here to eat and get the kids out of bed??????

These same so called "kids" go to war every day protecting everyday joes azz from who knows what and some get killed before they have hair on their shmeckles so their kids but yea their kids!!!!!!

JMO :

PUPPY
                GOD BLESS AMERICA (MY HOME SWEET HOME ) !!!!!

- ahum : Kawi piston at full speed just before crank wipes out and rod shoots threw block

Comment

Originally posted by CollegeCash View Post
                  After high school, I will go off to a college that will most likely be hours away to study for an unrelated career.
                  Are you planning to go to college in Kansas ?

What will you major in ? :laughing:

Quality Is Good ©

Comment

Funny funny !!!!!!

Originally posted by Sammy View Post
                    Are you planning to go to college in Kansas ?

What will you major in ? :laughing:
                    That's funny SAMMY boy and i was wondering the same thing......

What will this young fella be learning in college anyway???????

Hopefully not landscape design or anything like a mowing doctorate in professional sciences because the green industry has reached the outer limits of its full potential never mind the premise that the neighborhood kid can do 98 percent of what the guy with a B.S in Green sciences can do already....

Please become a doctor or lawyer because that's another few professions that we dont have enough people of higher character in....

If i could start over i would be a rocket scientist for NASA and those space shuttles would never have exploded , or burnt up on reentry , and by now would be shuttling people to Mars where humans could ski on the ice caps of Mars while the wives got drunk at the bottom at the Mars cafe instead of waisting billions yearly to help the chinese put their satellites to spy on us into outer space....

Well that's after i go to college and learn the theory of my time- space-warp manipulator so i can build my time machine allowing me to travel back in time so i can go back to college and create a giant time space paradox destroying the entire universe ending global warming which would be a good thing.....

The FLUX CAPACITOR is already invented and sold in Radio Shack isnt it?????

If not ill have to invent that too!!!!!

I can dream cant i everyone else does??????

What up puppycat waooo-a-waooo-a-waooo-a-waooo

puppycat

:laughing:YES IM REALLY TOM JONES but lets keep that a secret!!!!!!:laughing:

- ahum : Kawi piston at full speed just before crank wipes out and rod shoots threw block

Comment

can someone run an IP check?
                      sigpic...............RƎVO˩UTION!...............

Comment

Actually, I tell everybody I'm going to the University of Northwest Alaska to study Rocket Science :laughing:

Can't Wait!!

Comment

Originally posted by greenC View Post
                          can someone run an IP check?
                          It ain't me Sir. By this point I woulda pizzed someone off.
                          2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 and future 2015 LSF RECEPTED AWARD recipient!

Hortikulture Kolledge Grad + Licensed Master Irrigator + Certified Backflow Technician +
                          Licensed Fert & Squirt Applicator = Jack of all trades, master of none.

Comment

I'm just tstarting up here in TN myself. It is already a month into season. I am throwing money left and right at this. I am going legit because I have a written agreement of two annual contracts next year that together will total close to $20k (current price he is going to allow inflation on the accounts). Of course each of these are large jobs. Each require 1mm in liability. But I tend to agree with the guys saying if you're only going to do it for two years, be resourceful. Spend money where YOU think it counts. If you are fearful of accidents, insure yourself. Weigh the cost vs. possible damage. If you front 500 dollars(which it will be more) for insurance, it is GONE. You could hold on to the 500 in the sense like it was a bond. If you're push mowing a yard, chances of causing more than 500 of property damage in one year is minimal I would think, especially for residential jobs.
                            You're 15 and seem to be very smart. You can do the odds on this one. And I wish you the best of luck with your business and college.

Comment

Good post MM

Originally posted by TNGLC View Post
                              I'm just tstarting up here in TN myself. It is already a month into season. I am throwing money left and right at this. I am going legit because I have a written agreement of two annual contracts next year that together will total close to $20k (current price he is going to allow inflation on the accounts). Of course each of these are large jobs. Each require 1mm in liability. But I tend to agree with the guys saying if you're only going to do it for two years, be resourceful. Spend money where YOU think it counts. If you are fearful of accidents, insure yourself. Weigh the cost vs. possible damage. If you front 500 dollars(which it will be more) for insurance, it is GONE. You could hold on to the 500 in the sense like it was a bond. If you're push mowing a yard, chances of causing more than 500 of property damage in one year is minimal I would think, especially for residential jobs.
                              You're 15 and seem to be very smart. You can do the odds on this one. And I wish you the best of luck with your business and college.
                              Ohh im sorry...... I'm jumping to conclusions again , but i think Green C is dead on about the IP hint or on the right track but G-C you have to realize , MM has numerous resources computer wise , and runs through anonymous servers making IP searches useless.....:laughing:

Ohhhh and years perfecting the whole charade !!!!!!:laughing:

Better then reading old stuff though , so regardless who's who im not complaining.....

Its hilarious besides , and i get a big belly giggle also......:laughing:

TANKY for the entertainment.... its quite refreshing !!!!!!

TANKY , TANKY , TANKy..........

Back to the boob tube.....

TANKY again......

T

Comment

Working...
                              X