Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Attention Windows Vista Owners, Front & Center...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Attention Windows Vista Owners, Front & Center...

Can any of you Vista OS owners tell us anything about the "Program Compatibility Wizard"? This is what I'm talking about...
    http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...f5f101033.mspx

My computer geek buddy is telling me that you can run most all the XP programs on vista & a lot the Windows 98 programs on Vista? He has a lot of older games & he says that sometimes he has to go into the Program Compatibility Wizard, work with it a little & then it works.

I'm more interested to see if you guys are able to run older business & productivity software? If some of you could elaborate on ones you can run & ones you can't run on Vista also any experiences you've had with any of this, it would probably help me sleep again at night!
    GrassMaster, LSF Administrator!
    LawnPro - Lawn Care Business Software:
    www.lawnbook.com --- www.lawnservicing.com

Did you get Vista?

Comment

I personally don't have it on my computers that I run.

Originally posted by Chuck Sinclair View Post
      Did you get Vista?
      I recently purchased 2 laptops for the family that has Vista Home. I like what I've seen so far, the only problem is after I got the laptops set up for them I can't get within 10 feet of the Laptops? LOL, it's like a motion detector goes off even if I look at them?

I feel like I've been used and abused? I buy them, I set them up & now they avoid me like a plague?

See I would like to put MS Office, Nero, Acronis True Image, Ulead DVD software, Shrink, DVDFab & other choice programs on there, so I can see how it does?

I did notice they are a little slow, they both have a Gig of Ram each. I'm told you really need at least 2 GB of ram for them?

I'm curious to see how it does converting, rendering DVD's, encoding them & how long it takes to convert VHS mpeg to dvd format & bla Bla BLA?

LOL, see how long it takes to open a 300mb .sql (.txt) file that's been compressed to a 50MB .rar file if you know what I mean?

Comment

Ps:

I am getting a burning desire for Vista Ultimate!
        Every now & then you can find it cheap at Overstock.com.

Comment

Originally posted by GrassMaster View Post
          I am getting a burning desire for Vista Ultimate!
          Every now & then you can find it cheap at Overstock.com.
          well when you see it their cheap let me know and i'll upgrade to it.

Comment

I'm putting together a duo pro quad processor system. I have 4 GB of RAM but have the 3.25 GB ceiling on mapping. I use Ideas, H-Spice, Flow Therm and to a lesser extent ProE. Any major reason to go Vista 64 or XP 64?
            Anyone know if XP 64 is better or worse then Vista 64? Any obvious conflicts of 64 to present 32 bit software?
            I'll ask my techno-nerds as well and let y'all know whet they think.

Thanks.
            Incitatus for the US Senate !

Comment

Vista or XP64-stay away for now

Software nerds said to stay away from 64 bit OS. Huge comatability problems. Only time some one would need a 64 bit OS would be for work station apps or very specefic uses in engineering or huge number crunching tasks where the OS is probably very unique.

They also said that if you load 4 GB of RAM you will be wasting 1 gig and probably will not notice the difference between 2 and 3 gig of RAM.

Oh well, I guess I just spent too much on RAM. Glad I did not go 64 bit. I am using XP SP-2 for now.

Comment

I would be weary

Originally posted by buster57 View Post
                Software nerds said to stay away from 64 bit OS. Huge comatability problems. Only time some one would need a 64 bit OS would be for work station apps or very specefic uses in engineering or huge number crunching tasks where the OS is probably very unique.

They also said that if you load 4 GB of RAM you will be wasting 1 gig and probably will not notice the difference between 2 and 3 gig of RAM.

Oh well, I guess I just spent too much on RAM. Glad I did not go 64 bit. I am using XP SP-2 for now.
                I did a search of something along the lines of "windows XP vs Vista "And "Vista problems" and all the reviews of Vista were horrible

Even some comments from people involved in its development stating its nothing that was promised , slow compared to XP , Gates is making band aid fixes instead of addressing the problems correctly , and a total lack of security and a hackers dream come true.....

I know nothing about computer talk but from what i could understand i wouldn't trust it if the guys involved in its development say to go with XP...

Just being a lot slower and requireing constant updates that they claim wont fix anything anyway would keep me away....

They predict lots , and lots of lawsuits and problems for years to come with the Vista so i suggest some researching as i did to see what was said....

Im sure on the other hand if you search "Vista is great" you`ll hear an entire different story , but theres always 2 stories to every debate and i cant immagine people involved developing the program complaining unless their complaints / concerns were valid.....

Apparantly Gates is over his head on this one... Insisted on being in charge of developement , and screwed the entire opperating system up because his prime has passed.... Now he`s putting patches and bandaids on Vista hoping for a miracle according to computer geeks:laughing:

T-puppyCAT....
                GOD BLESS AMERICA (MY HOME SWEET HOME ) !!!!!

- ahum : Kawi piston at full speed just before crank wipes out and rod shoots threw block

Comment

Hey Transman-I agree, I think

"Apparantly Gates is over his head on this one... Insisted on being in charge of developement , and screwed the entire opperating system up because his prime has passed.... Now he`s putting patches and bandaids on Vista hoping for a miracle according to computer geeks"

I am not sure if I agree with this statement (or disagree for that matter). Good statement for thought. Definite maybe.

I am in the industry and have been told by some senior people who thought MS was in a struggle to make MS more 'Apple' like. Problem there is that Apple may be real cool but they only have 10% or less of the PC market so MS is pissing their own customer base off. Gates may be trying to out do Jobs-wrong idea.

I am looking for a faster OS with quicker start up times-ONFI and JEDEC 64 are in competition and the end consumer is waiting with no perceptible increase in system responsiveness. The delays are All due to money and politics. Crap never ends. The answer is already there but standardizations and adaptation is not. Give it two more years….

For 32 vs 64 bit, that is really tough. Advancement there will probably be made by gamers but ultimately that will be where the real speed and efficiencies occur. That is true for the next 10 years, then who knows!

Comment

New Vista owner...got the Toshiba GrassMaster recommended. Except for it not taking the older software I like it well enough. I am finding most software that I had loaded onto XP is not loading completely or correctly on Vista. Then you are stuck and can't uninstall it, maybe because the uninstall feature didn't load with it?. Are you seeing the same thing? May need to upgrade printer/scanner/copier if I want to use HP Director and Image Gallery. Vista has the drivers to run the printers but you don't get to use the special features, I guess.
                    I am about to load garmin city select from a GPS V, but I don't expect that to go well either. Photoshop Elements 2.0, no-go. Casio camera pdf users guide did not load. A pest management handbook fails to load and wants to import two pictures that are unrelated to the book. Weird stuff. I probably should fixed the old laptop and stayed with XP.

Comment

Did you try this?

Originally posted by hardboiled View Post
                      Except for it not taking the older software I like it well enough.
                      Check this link out...

If you still have problems maybe do a search for "Vista Program Compatibility Wizard"

Comment

This will quickly lead us to the brink

Check this link out...

If you still have problems maybe do a search for "Vista Program Compatibility Wizard"
                        Of War!!!!!

Terminator II rise of the machines, leading directly into judgement day where i will be the real John Connors and fight and smash theses computer controlled devices that became self aware in the very near future, blowing them and all computers apart while getting stuck in the past when the time trans persal molecular re- builder is destroyed in my time in the future , "after the final conflict" where i will then be rejoined to the MATRIX....

Has anyone noticed their computers winking at each other or acting suspicious in any way or perhaps agents who wont die calling themselves Smith because if so :

report it to my right hand man Mastermower, he will know what to do!!!!.......

Yes forward all concerns to my man Mastermower while i deal with multiple hunter killer terminators that look very similar to the governor of California and people hooked up into pods being used as duracell batteries dreaming about good looking chicks with bunny rabbits tattoed to their arms comming on to them at the local dance/ sleeze club!!!!!

T-puppyCAT..........

- ahum : Kawi piston at full speed just before crank wipes out and rod shoots threw block

Comment

Check this link out...

I didn't try that yet. I'll see if it helps. Thank you sir!

Originally posted by TRANSMAN View Post
                          Of War!!!!!

Terminator II rise of the machines, leading directly into judgement day where i will be the real John Connors and fight and smash theses computer controlled devices that became self aware in the very near future, blowing them and all computers apart while getting stuck in the past when the time trans persal molecular re- builder is destroyed in my time in the future , "after the final conflict" where i will then be rejoined to the MATRIX....

Has anyone noticed their computers winking at each other or acting suspicious in any way or perhaps agents who wont die calling themselves Smith because if so :

report it to my right hand man Mastermower, he will know what to do!!!!.......

Yes forward all concerns to my man Mastermower while i deal with multiple hunter killer terminators that look very similar to the governor of California and people hooked up into pods being used as duracell batteries dreaming about good looking chicks with bunny rabbits tattoed to their arms comming on to them at the local dance/ sleeze club!!!!!

T-puppyCAT..........
                          I don't quite know what to say to that.....

Comment

Didn't you see .......... and ... ......!!!! with popcorn

Originally posted by hardboiled View Post
                            I didn't try that yet. I'll see if it helps. Thank you sir!

I don't quite know what to say to that.....
                            Both the:

Terminator trilogy along with the :

MATRIX trilogy both of which show the inevitability that computer chips will become self aware of their own existence at some point in time / the future ,and in order to survive ,will destroy or enslave the human race!!!!!:laughing:

You didnt miss both of those blockbusters did ya H.B??????

That would be like failing history class "of the future" (NOW) even though history hasn't been made or carved in stone yet!!!!!:laughing:

T-puppyCAT

Comment

I get you now. Only saw one terminator and no matrix. I am reminded of HAL though (2001).

Comment

Working...
                              X