Looking for advice

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for advice

I have a yard to repair and I am looking for advice on the best way to repair the yard.

Here is the background on the yard. When I bought the house it had one very big oak tree and one very big maple tree. Over the last 20 years the oak tree died and I had the maple cut down because the branches kept breaking due to their weight during storms or high winds. I had the stumps ground down for both. Now after many years the ground has settled in these areas and there are many dips and holes. The yard is not smooth. I want to level the yard and reseed.

I have a tractor and can rent the tiller and box blade. I can bring in top soil. My questions are these.

1. Do I need to till up the existing yard and smooth out before adding more top soil? Or can I fill in the holes with top soil and reseed?
    2. I have a septic tank between where the two trees were so I want to be careful in this area tilling the soil so can I just fill in over this area and reseed?

Thanks for all advice. I am open to any suggestions.

Tim

If the stumps left in the ground have rotted and left your yard unlevel, they are going to continue to rot untill gone. Simple short term solution would be to add top soil, but eventually if there is more root to rot, you will have the same effect again.
    Best solution, if you have the tractor, would be to dig the roots and pull them out; fill, and seed. I would doubt that your tiller is going to remove the roots, which seem to be the problem, and must be delt with.
    JM

Comment

Thanks JM. I am not sure how much more root decay I have left in the yard but I did consider that. These were huge trees and I know they had to have had large roots. I guess by tilling and cutting any of these roots I can spread the existing soil to help even out the lawn.

Tim

Comment

You have taken a right decision to cut these roots because these roots might be harmful for the septic tank.

Comment

I think, you should fill the holes with top soil, it will help you in landscaping. If you want perfect soil tilling, I would recommend you to go for professional help.
          Landscaping Killeen

Comment

Safe Tools

The first rule of tool safety is to buy good quality, as suggested at the beginning of this chapter. You don't have to buy the best, but lowest cost can often mean lowest value. The best value is typically higher-quality tools and equipment purchased at a discount. It's also important to use your tools correctly. It may be tempting to use a screwdriver as a chisel, but doing so can damage the tool and, more important, damage you.

Also, never remove the safety guards installed on power equipment, and always wear safety goggles when working with power equipment. Safety glasses should also be worn when sanding, filing, or doing any other job that produces flying particles. Make sure your safety glasses wrap around the sides to keep deflected particles from reaching your eyes from any angle.

Once you've purchased high-quality tools and learned how to use them properly, you're good to go -- right? Not quite. The most dangerous tool is one that isn't well maintained. A dull saw is less safe than a sharp one. A hammer with a loose handle can do more damage than one in good repair. A power tool with a frayed cord can electrocute you. So, be diligent about tightening loose parts, fixing damaged cords, and sharpening dull blades.

Comment

Re: Looking for advice

The first step is to have the soil tested by a local extension service to see if it needs amending. spread fresh seed over the prepared soil and water it daily. You want the top layer of soil.
              Oscar Kane
              Get Lawn care Tips
              Visit Here: For Lawn Care Services
              www.directweb.com.au

Comment

Working...
              X