Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mulching Estimate

Hi everyone,
    I just recently started a landscaping business and I have a big residential mulching job coming up. I went today to take a look at the place and i estimated 250 bags using the 2 foot and every direction rule. The total came out to be $1050 with labor and markups.

Do you guys think this is too much for a mulching job?

Would you suggests using a different rule for estimating how much mulch?

Would it be better to get bags or bulk?

Thanks

What's this "2 foot and every direction rule?" I went to skool for this and never heard about such a thing.

Here's what you do: measure the beds to obtain the square footage. From that you figure your depth of mulch and convert into cubic yards. And from there you can figure.......................... Ahhh, nevermind, your rule sure sounds easiest. Clue me in! :alien::alien::alien:
    2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 and future 2015 LSF RECEPTED AWARD recipient!

Hortikulture Kolledge Grad + Licensed Master Irrigator + Certified Backflow Technician +
    Licensed Fert & Squirt Applicator = Jack of all trades, master of none.

Comment

I've been told that 2 ft in each direction will equal one bag and you go throughout the bed doing this to get a rough estimate of how much mulch you need but your way sounds a lot better ha!

Originally posted by MASTERMOWER View Post
      What's this "2 foot and every direction rule?" I went to skool for this and never heard about such a thing.

Here's what you do: measure the beds to obtain the square footage. From that you figure your depth of mulch and convert into cubic yards. And from there you can figure.......................... Ahhh, nevermind, your rule sure sounds easiest. Clue me in! :alien::alien::alien:

Comment

I get 1 cu yd at about 24 a yard, figure out the bags to a cu yard and see where you could put the extra money in Your Pocket instead of the suppliers. I have seen trucks at the local landfill getting it for free, its not the best, and isnt cooked, its also easier to spread Bulk, imagine after you cost and mark up, you could pocet 1/2 the extra and make a mint and get a client to stay with you. this doesnt apply here for Cedar or colored.
        sigpic

Spring fever.

Comment

I guess I'm still unclear about the "two feet in every direction" deal. Is that 2'x2', equating to 4SF per bag? Can't be... Perhaps that's 2' from each side of the bag, if visualized laying on the ground? That'd be more realistic, but man....that's one hell of a crude way to calculate material. :alien::alien::alien:
          2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 and future 2015 LSF RECEPTED AWARD recipient!

Hortikulture Kolledge Grad + Licensed Master Irrigator + Certified Backflow Technician +
          Licensed Fert & Squirt Applicator = Jack of all trades, master of none.

Comment

Working...
          X