Bulk material bunks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bulk material bunks

What do you guys use for bulk material bunks, if anything at all?

When I worked for a nursery thousands of years ago, we just had piles of rock/mulch. But it got messy (any probably lots of wasted product).

I've seen railroad ties used, but most people use those large concrete blocks. Any other ideas?

Should the bottom pad be concrete to keep the material cleaner, or would this just be a mistake? :alien::alien::alien:
    2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 and future 2015 LSF RECEPTED AWARD recipient!

Hortikulture Kolledge Grad + Licensed Master Irrigator + Certified Backflow Technician +
    Licensed Fert & Squirt Applicator = Jack of all trades, master of none.

The Great One Has Asked A Question...............

Originally posted by MASTERMOWER View Post
    What do you guys use for bulk material bunks, if anything at all?

When I worked for a nursery thousands of years ago, we just had piles of rock/mulch. But it got messy (any probably lots of wasted product).

I've seen railroad ties used, but most people use those large concrete blocks. Any other ideas?

Should the bottom pad be concrete to keep the material cleaner, or would this just be a mistake? :alien::alien::alien:
    use 12" block with rebar for three sides with the back being the tallest and then stepped down on the sides to one or two block at the front for your rock products and just leave the mulch in piles as you know you will have to fluff it up multiple times from all sides so you don't want to enclose it with anything.

steve
    "THE BADDEST LAWN APE ON THE PLANET"

Comment

Why fluff mulch? Added O2 aids in decomposition. Just curious? :alien::alien::alien:

I don't think 12" block is available here. The local concrete plant sells some massive suckers which weigh well over a ton per block. The price is nearly the same as a CY of concrete however. These are made from waste concrete.
      2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 and future 2015 LSF RECEPTED AWARD recipient!

Hortikulture Kolledge Grad + Licensed Master Irrigator + Certified Backflow Technician +

Comment

Curious College Boy.............

Originally posted by MASTERMOWER View Post
        Why fluff mulch? Added O2 aids in decomposition. Just curious? :alien::alien::alien:

I don't think 12" block is available here. The local concrete plant sells some massive suckers which weigh well over a ton per block. The price is nearly the same as a CY of concrete however. These are made from waste concrete.
        you have to keep the pile open to let off heat and the moisture in it or it will decompose even faster and might even start burning. i know the mulch yards could care less about this. they do it to put more air in the mulch. air takes up space. more air, less mulch to the customer, same price. might not sound like much but in a year i bet it adds up............

steve
        "THE BADDEST LAWN APE ON THE PLANET"

Comment

Originally posted by delasgh View Post
          you have to keep the pile open to let off heat and the moisture in it or it will decompose even faster and might even start burning. i know the mulch yards could care less about this. they do it to put more air in the mulch. air takes up space. more air, less mulch to the customer, same price. might not sound like much but in a year i bet it adds up............

steve
          But I tear through my massive compost pile every couple weeks to let the air and moisture in to aid in decomposition. You ought to see the steam coming off that pile! At least I have a burn permit need be. :alien::alien::alien:

Comment

we use something simular to your blocks. I think ours ar 16" square x 36" possibly larger. I can send a pic to your e-mail if unsure.

Comment

TRUST ME, a mulch pile will burn. we get ours 80 yards at a time, if i cant use it in 2-3 weeks i dont order it. A couple years ago, i was going to leave one day and looked over and the steam seemed worse the usual. i climbed on top and dug down a foot and the mulch was top hot to touch, spent the next 4 hours turning and weting the pile. probably lost 25% of it, turned to a charcoal type substance.

we only get bulck mulch april through mid june. rest of year we pick it up.

Comment

it must get hot up north,I have never seen or heard of burning mulch piles and they keep 2 truck loads on the yard at all times. the only time they fluff it is after hard rains...... to help it dry out faster and to prevent damage to someones 1/2 ton when they ask for 4 scoops plus , and som people ask for it seriously.

Comment

its a bigger problem then most realize

do a google search for mulch pile fire and you will see. these 3 are just off the first page. the on in iowa happened new years day. pretty sure it was below 80 that day

http://www.kcrg.com/news/local/Mulch...136546883.html

http://www.star-telegram.com/2011/09...e-spreads.html

http://www.greenridge63.com/news/ful.../newsid/148360

Comment

Those fires were all in huge piles of at least 20' tall. If I went through that much mulch to keep huge piles on hand, I'd have retired by now. However, our leaf pile is at least 15' tall. Better keep an eye on it... :alien::alien::alien:

Comment

go ahead and get a semi load, stick it next to you building and see what happens in a month or 2.

Comment

Originally posted by clclawn View Post
                        go ahead and get a semi load, stick it next to you building and see what happens in a month or 2.
                        Only an idiot would stick such a thing "next" to a building. At most, it burns, and there goes your investment. :alien::alien::alien:

Comment

Working...
                        X