Spring Clean up for newbies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spring Clean up for newbies

This is my first year as a LCO and I wanted to get the forums thoughts on discounted rates on spring clean up to gain thier mowing busniss for the year. I have really blow some bids doing this but I am quickly building a good client base. My feelings are, I might be working for almost nothing now but it will get better as the grass grows. Dose anyone else do this and am I hurting the industry by helping myself. Thanks to everyone on this site, I have learned a lot and will be a better LCO owner because of the information given by all of you.

First you survive and then you do what is right.

Comment

By accident. I didn't know what I was getting into when I started doing leaf removal. My BIG problem was hauling away leaves/limbs. I dump it @ buddy's farm but have to go burn it off monthly. Grass clippings burn for days.

I immediately started upping bids on cleanups. Everybody argues price, I argue..." if you are not satisfied for that price I will make it right." No complaints yet! I also explain that mowing will be close to 1/3 of cleanup price. This has been dead right so far.

Yesterday was HUGE for me! On top of landing a huge lawn the guy over paid and then gave me $20 for travel fuel. (21 miles one way)

Comment

Don't do em cheap. Spring clean-ups are hard, dirty work, that's why they hire you. I average 40.00 per man hr, sometimes more. We use rakes, shovels, tarps, mower--baggers, blowers(good ones), plus, we have a truck-loader on the dump truck, really saves the day.
        Conan, what is best in life? To crush the Democrats, to see them driven before me, and to hear the lamentation of the liberals.

Comment

Thanks guys, I know I have learned my lesson. I just spent 8 hrs. on a $65 job. I will learn to look at it a bit closer and not just think of the weekly mowing. Ratherbebassin, I will prob. use your 1/3 idea. Sound good and safe.

Comment

This is only my 2nd year...but I woudn't cut the rates. I advertise an initial cut for $65.00-$75.00. I have gotten alot of calls on that. Then when I get there, they want pinestraw, flowers, tree replacement, mulch all kinds of extras. So I end up making like 200-300 on several customers.

People will call you. Do not panic and go down on your prices. Maybe do some more advertising. People think you are not professional when your prices are so low. And they don't treat you like a pro either. Just preservere, and the accounts you do have, do a really great job. The people will see your work and call.

My 2 cents.

Comment

Don't get me wrong, the clients are coming, may be a little to fast, I just wanted to know if this is a good way to get your foot in the door. Then I'm able to show them the quality of my work and that will lead to more and more work in the future.

Comment

You just answered your own question.... "I just wanted to know if this is a good way to get your foot in the door." People hire who they know...

Comment

Working...
                X