how to sharpen blades

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how to sharpen blades

will someone go over the process and tools required to sharpen your lawn mowing blades

Please note that you will need a $1k Blade Sharpening System to properly sharpen Lawn Mower Blades.

Comment

Magna-matic has the MAG-9000 for sale for $610. If you can't afford that then I suggest using a wet stone grinding wheel. This will help to keep the heat down. Any time you overheat the edge of the blade you're ruining the temper of the steel and making it brittle. Other than that it's just about getting the angle right and keeping it balanced.

Comment

Magna-Matic grinder, Magna-Matic balancer. Please see the included directions.

Woody
        Woody

"Those willing to give up a little liberty for a little security deserve neither security nor liberty." ---Benjamin Franklin

"This country, with its institutions, belongs to the people who inhabit it. Whenever they shall grow weary of the existing Government, they can exercise their constitutional right of amending it, or their revolutionary right to dismember or overthrow it." ---Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Woody

Does the MAG 9000 act as both a blade balancer and grinder? If not, how much is the total package (mag grinder, mag balancer)? Thanks

Jack D, what system are you referring to?

Comment

http://shop.store.yahoo.com/tylertool/del311beland.html

I've been using a 1" Delta belt sander for three years now with zero problems. I run double blades on three-four walkbehinds changing blades daily. I probably sharpen about 50 blades a week right now. We can get them razor sharp and perfectly balanced. I've had a couple sets of blades for three seasons. I'll take a picture next time I think about it.

Comment

Originally posted by RRS
              http://shop.store.yahoo.com/tylertool/del311beland.html

I've been using a 1" Delta belt sander for three years now with zero problems. I run double blades on three-four walkbehinds changing blades daily. I probably sharpen about 50 blades a week right now. We can get them razor sharp and perfectly balanced. I've had a couple sets of blades for three seasons. I'll take a picture next time I think about it.
              At $79 that's a great price!

Comment

Here are a couple blades sharpened on the belt sander. I've never used a dedicated blade sharpener or balancer so take my advice for what it's worth. I don't know they may be a hell of a lot better, but I don't see how you could possibly get any sharper than these.

I've been sharpening tools since I was a kid and nobody has ever really showed me "proper technique" if there is such a thing. My dad made my brother and I sharpen the mower blades when we mowed, and there was always something to be sharpened on the farm.

You talk about pissed off. I knew the lawn had to be mowed by Friday evening or I wasn't going out, and he knew that I knew, but wouldn't say anything. Of course we'd wait until the last minute to cut the lawn, but then to top it off we had to come in and sharpen blades before going out for the night.

I just haven't been able to justify spending $1000 on a blade sharpening system.

Comment

As far as balancing goes...I know it's frowned upon, but the nail in the wall has never failed me. I haven't replaced a spindle on a mower yet in four years.

Comment

http://www.ehow.com/how_118240_sharpen-power-mower.html

Comment

RRS
                      Wow really appreciate your input on this one it goes to show sometimes you can get by the old fashioned way. especially for people that just can't justify $1000.00
                      Thanks
                      :p Candibear

Comment

Please note that a belt sander is very slow compared to a dedicated grinder and balancing on a nail is pointless. Everything from belts to engine to drive components to cut quality is affected by the vibration caused by unbalanced blades. If one uses the off-set blades pictured by Mr. RRS, please purchase the Mag 8000 along with a 1000 balancer; a bearing loaded, magnetic, cone type balancer.

http://magna-matic.com/Merchant2/mer...tegory_Code=CP

Comment

Originally posted by Candibear
                          RRS
                          Wow really appreciate your input on this one it goes to show sometimes you can get by the old fashioned way. especially for people that just can't justify $1000.00
                          Thanks
                          It's all relative ...

If you're just starting out ... you are sometimes forced into doing things the hard, slow way ...then later on ... faster methods make sense and you can't afford to be without them.

Just common sense ...

Comment

If you're just starting out ... you are sometimes forced into doing things the hard, slow way ...then later on ... faster methods make sense and you can't afford to be without them.
                            This is true. The whole reason I gave my advice on the matter. Here's a $79 option for someone that must sharpen blades, but would rather spend their $1000's on machines that can make them money verses a blade sharpener that will save a few minutes a day.

Comment

RRS,
                              Thanks brother... guess what new toy I'm gettin' today?

Anyone use those cheap bubble balancers that backyard mechanics use to balance wheels? Seems it would be a lot better than the nail.

Comment

Working...
                              X