christmas lighting revisited

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• christmas lighting revisited

last time I brought this topic up some people had some valueable input, some made jokes and think the idea is stupid, however keeping my guys and myself busy and making money isn't foolish to me, anyways I was wondering if anyone had some figures on rates for putting the lights up and taking them down I would think hanging icicle lights from a roof should be more expensive than wrapping a couple handrails or going around doors.How do you charge for the lights? Do you sell the customer the lights or rent them ? Insurance? And if anyone has any websites or catalogs please provide the information. I have a multi-million dollar set of 8 connnected condos that we maintain and have done the landscaping for they want a proposal a.s.a.p. and the lights put up the first week of december. I can provide a picture if anyone has any design ideas or input please respond

It's definately not a stupid idea. I'm not sure what your market is like, but I'd call around to other decorators from the phone book and get some estimates. A lot of them will have minimun charges which will give you a starting point.

At first I'd take about any job that presented itself. Over time, you learn which lights are a PITA and jack those prices up or just don't take them. You may find you like just doing trees or just doing houses. I personally like doing houses but will take a tree job (hate turning down biz). One guy I know only does trees, and absolutely hates climbing ladders.

If you would like to deal with high end clients, you may want to consider using Brite Ideas. They are a local lighting manufacturer in Omaha but have distributors all over the US. Their product is pricey, but good quality. You can do a search on the inet and find their website. I'm sure there are other distributors but I know they offer a training program and there is another member here who uses them.

Hope this helps a little.

Comment

I have never advertised that service, however a couple years back a customer of mine asked me if I knew anyone who could do it. I told him I would do it for him once, and he could pay me what he thought the job was worth. He had been my customer for 2 seasons at that point.

He showed me the lights and told me vaguely how he wanted them. I hung the lights with a helper of mine, took us about 4 hours to do. The guy gave me five $100.00 bills and asked me if that was enough. I told him I will gladly do his lights for him every year at that price, and I have. I just put them up for him this past weekend.

he has told a few other customers of mine that live by him and I now do their lights also. This is my highest profit margined job. In one week of work, 3 days total, I brought in $2,800.00 and had virtually no overhead. I gave my helper $400.00 cash. If you have the right customers this is an awesome christmas bonus...

Comment

I won't say it's a stupid idea, but around my market, noone offers such a service simply because their isn't the demand! I can rememebr only one Christmas decorating company over the past 10 years...and yet they quit the service 5? years back. I really don't havta wonder why.

It seems most landscaping companies prefer to take it easy during the winter months, seeing as how they raked in all the cash during the growing season. Winter is a long awaited break time.
        2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 and future 2015 LSF RECEPTED AWARD recipient!

Hortikulture Kolledge Grad + Licensed Master Irrigator + Certified Backflow Technician +
        Licensed Fert & Squirt Applicator = Jack of all trades, master of none.

Comment

Originally posted by MASTERMOWER
          I won't say it's a stupid idea, but around my market, noone offers such a service simply because their isn't the demand! I can rememebr only one Christmas decorating company over the past 10 years...and yet they quit the service 5? years back. I really don't havta wonder why.

It seems most landscaping companies prefer to take it easy during the winter months, seeing as how they raked in all the cash during the growing season. Winter is a long awaited break time.

Even if there isn't much demand for it, there may be a small demand. It isn't like it is a stand alone business, just bonus income when you don't count on any work anyhow. Not much of an investment either. The only equipment you will need is a ladder. Why not just offer it and pick up a few $$ when you are slow anyhow.

My profit margin for the holiday season (as short as it is), is much much higher than what I make in maintenance through the summer.

Comment

Working...
          X