Front differential......done!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Front differential......done!

One truck is down...limping along with a bad front differential. Guess I can thank that Nor'easter that dumped us with 3+ feet of snow. Trucks were busting hump for 36 hours straight followed up by two 8 hour days. I am running out of stuff to break here. Get stuck=get mad=break stuff!! Cant wait for spring....

Man...you should post it one more time for good measure!...

What kind of truck?

Comment

Do you guys use any skid steers for snow removal?
      a.k.a.---> Erich

www.avalawnlandscaping.com

Build a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.
      Set a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Comment

Originally posted by btammo View Post
        One truck is down...limping along with a bad front differential. Guess I can thank that Nor'easter that dumped us with 3+ feet of snow. Trucks were busting hump for 36 hours straight followed up by two 8 hour days. I am running out of stuff to break here. Get stuck=get mad=break stuff!! Cant wait for spring....
        you were the one who asked where the snow was...........

steve
        "THE BADDEST LAWN APE ON THE PLANET"

Comment

Differential, cv joints, or hub assembly? I got stuck a lot of times, not worth beating em. Only get out & clear the wheels, usually does it. Which truck broke? I hate snow removal, makes me rethink whether I will even do it next year.
          Conan, what is best in life? To crush the Democrats, to see them driven before me, and to hear the lamentation of the liberals.

Comment

reasons why I haven't gotten into it.
            oooooooooo yyyyeah
            some people pay to get a tan. I get paid to tan.

living the life of a rockstar

Comment

2000 silverado....definitely front differential. Sounds like a bearing went bad. Its my own stupidity. New differential from GM is big bucks, rebuilding is more of an option, but still a decent chunk of change. When it is in 4x4 it sounds like I have oversize mud tires on going down the highway.

Erich, yeah I use skid steer once in awhile, mostly for removal however. My accounts are too far apart to use it strictly for plowing. I dont have a cab on mine so it gets a little chilly too.

Snow season is almost done.

Casey, man you should see the snow....we have snow up here. We have snow, we have snow, we have snow....oh in case you didnt know....we have alot of snow up here.

There is alot of money to be made in snow removal for sure and breaking things is all a part of it. I definitely make more than I spend.

Comment

I've heard bad things about the front end on the newer GM trucks.
                2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 and future 2015 LSF RECEPTED AWARD recipient!

Hortikulture Kolledge Grad + Licensed Master Irrigator + Certified Backflow Technician +
                Licensed Fert & Squirt Applicator = Jack of all trades, master of none.

Comment

Originally posted by MASTERMOWER View Post
                  I've heard bad things about the front end on the newer GM trucks.
                  I haven't heard anything, but it could be possible there are some bad ones. One of my trucks(1994 chevy 1/2 ton) I've been plowing with for 4 years has 158,000 miles on it. Main repairs we have done are u-joints, shocks,replaced both front hub assemblies due to high mileage, both c-v assemblies for same reason although none had broken, & front driveshaft. Replaced transmission 2 years ago at 135,000 miles (preventive maintenance) with that many miles, you never know. Still on original engine(4.3 ) man they're tough. I also plow with my (new) 2004 f-350 pickup with 8' fisher, really nice to plow with that. :laughing:
                  Conan, what is best in life? To crush the Democrats, to see them driven before me, and to hear the lamentation of the liberals.

Comment

Originally posted by jrservices View Post
                    I haven't heard anything, but it could be possible there are some bad ones. One of my trucks(1994 chevy 1/2 ton) I've been plowing with for 4 years has 158,000 miles on it. Main repairs we have done are u-joints, shocks,replaced both front hub assemblies due to high mileage, both c-v assemblies for same reason although none had broken, & front driveshaft. Replaced transmission 2 years ago at 135,000 miles (preventive maintenance) with that many miles, you never know. Still on original engine(4.3 ) man they're tough. I also plow with my (new) 2004 f-350 pickup with 8' fisher, really nice to plow with that. :laughing:
                    I'm talking about the 99 and newer GMs. I've heard complaint after complaint of bearing failures on the front end.....perhaps not all limited to the differential, but upon hearing what others have to say I'm really put off on buying a new chevy.

My 94 chevy 3/4 ton does just fine. I didn't have one problem with it this year plowing (though we don't get the monster snowfalls). It has about 150k on the clock now. It's gonna get new front fenders and paint job shortly, not to mention some cheap Herculiner on the flat bed - it deemed itself worthy of such special treatment.
                    2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 and future 2015 LSF RECEPTED AWARD recipient!

Hortikulture Kolledge Grad + Licensed Master Irrigator + Certified Backflow Technician +
                    Licensed Fert & Squirt Applicator = Jack of all trades, master of none.

Comment

First real problem i had with this truck. Had to put Hub assemly on one side due to a bad design (my opinion). It has been a great truck and I own all Chevrolets. Nothing against you JR with the Ford. Sorry about your luck

Comment

First real problem i had with this truck. Had to put Hub assemly on one side due to a bad design (my opinion). It has been a great truck and I own all Chevrolets. Nothing against you JR with the Ford. Sorry about your luck
                        Some of the repairs on mine, I just did before I got surprised with it. I like preventive maintenance. You can't see everything, but I try.

Comment

Working...
                        X