Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Poor grading or does grass need to grow?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Poor grading or does grass need to grow?

I just had a house built and the backyard grading doesn't seem to have been done properly (also quite a bit of clay underneath the soil). They've already tried to fill in low spots once but these are the results afterwards (15 ft puddles in the backyard):

http://img429.imageshack.us/img429/9...rading2ab5.jpg

http://img527.imageshack.us/img527/3...gradingdz7.jpg

The contractor is telling me that we need to give it time for grass to grow and then we won't have the problem. I think that the yard should be graded properly so that water doesn't pool in the first place. Anyone have any ideas on what should be done? I'm getting sick of having a swamp in the backyard every time it rains.

Thanks.

Swampman

Your Pictures really tell us nothing as far as the grading. Clay will hold water so maybe your contractor is right.

You can lead a donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass drink.

Comment

A bit of grading would have elim inated that bit of pooling, seeing how you have plenty of elevation to send surface run-off to, but it isn't the end of the world to have that much standing water in the state the graded area is in at the time.

Is that pine straw spread by hand?

You trying to grow turf with this method you have to have PATIENCE. The alternative is sod, which is expensive, but the uoside would be you wouldn;t see the pooling surface water, or the rough grade.

You get what you pay for is an axiom that comes to mind.
      GEEVEE®, Pat.Pend. TM, UL

If you're gonna be dumb, you better be tough

Comment

Ya i guess im a little late on this one,,,, but that dont look all that bad. Depending on total sq ftg worked this could be typical,,, or probable.

Bottom line from little i can tell in the pic,,, a good stand of turf will hide that well and probally rarely be a problem.

Little grading fix it? Ya probally but .................................................. ...................................
        SENIOR MODERATOR LSF COMMUNITY CONTROL CORDINATOR
        Have a Nice Day, from the Lawn Service Forum S.A.S.M
        www.lawnbook.com
        www.lawnservicing.com
        Click Here: For Lawn Care Business Kit
        Click Here: For FREE Marketing "Mini-Course"
        Please ask questions about the business here, I'm unable to answer them 1 on 1.
        Please Visit Our Sponsors, They Make this Forum Possible!
        NOW AVAILABLE FOR FREE LSF IN 5.0 !!! JUST PM GRASSMASTER TO GET YOURS TODAY!!

""POYMIT"

ATTRITION :alien:

Comment

Unless you use laser leveling technology, some puddling is inevetable. The biggest concern is making sure that water flows away from your structures. Because of the high clay content in your soil, water will puddle. To get your water to drain through the soil profile, you can ask a professional pesticide applicator about using "Respond 3". Its a soil conditioner/wetting agent. It will do double duty by either helping soil drain faster or help soils retain moisture.

The other alternative is to wait for your lawn to grow, which will in turn help move the water somewhere. I agree, a little puddling isn't the end of the world.

Comment

Working...
          X