Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dose anyone us a Four Wheeler to plow Res.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dose anyone us a Four Wheeler to plow Res.

I just wanted to know if anyone uses a 4-wheeler to do res. snow plowing? Thanks for the help!
    bt

My brother in law has a 650 Kawi with a plow on it. Pretty much useless due to lack of weight for plowing. The blade just won't get down to the surface.
    I don't do plowing, but I have done my driveway and a couple others when there was a big snow storm with a Bobcat T300 and a Kubota 4310. The Kubota was better in my opinion.
    -Rich

Ron Howard: Is that... vodka... and wheat grass?
    Homer: It's called a "lawnmower". I invented it. Want one?

Comment

Thanks rich, I"m suprised you couldn't add weight to the front end.
      bt

Comment

It would have to be more weight than the quad could handle. I don't know specs, but even just the plow and rider is probably near max capicity.
        -Rich

Comment

I went and talked to a dealer yesterday, man though machines look like they could push some snow. Is your brother in laws machine a 4 wheel drive unit? The set up I looked at would have plenty of power, set up with chains on the wheels and hooked up to the winch to raise and lower the blade. Thanks for the help.
          bt

Comment

It's a 4WD. It looks like it would be great, but from my findings, I wouldn't want to bank on that making me money. See if your dealer has one with a plow on it as a demo. Just sitting on it and raising the plow pulls the front end down a lot. Drive it with the plow up and while slowing down, the rear end wants to rise. There is a good amount of weight there already and it dosen't scrape down too well. Adding more weight is going to destroy the quad even more than just a plow. I know a quad written off for work would be great, but they are just not that useful.
            My opinion-Take the money to a small skid steer or tractor with a front bucket. Better all around machine.

Comment

Good advice! I will see if he has a demo. I would buy it now with out a good test and it snowing like H*** right now. Good time to test. Thanks
              bt

Comment

I think a lot of it has to do with the way the plow is mounted to the atv.

If it is hooked way up front on the atv, it doesn't have much leverage and will float over the snow.

I use to use a Polaris 500 way back in the day. The plow assembly was very long and actually hooked up way back towards the back of the quad. Like straight down from the back part of your seat. It didn't float over snow and did quite well for larger driveways.

Could be the make of the plow as well.

Having said all of that, because of the quad not having the ability to spin around quickly and turn on a dime, a small Toro single stage will do better on smaller driveways.
                a.k.a.---> Erich

www.avalawnlandscaping.com

Build a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.
                Set a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Comment

Scaper, thanks for the input, I liked hearing that. I have been looking at the Polaris. I will do very limited plowing, I will get much more use out of it on the turf durring season. So, the right machine could be an asset to the company.
                  bt

Comment

For what it's worth, I had some break issues with the Polaris and it cost a rediculous price to be fixed. I keep my stuff pretty clean also. They charged me $900 to fix the brakes on the damn thing. I sold it about a month later.

They have since changed the brakes and brake lines though. I purchased a Suzuki and it has been bullet proof. It's only a 400cc, but it's much lighter than the 500cc Sportsman Polaris was, so it feels just as good. It gets worked pretty much whenever it is running.

If I went with anything bigger, I think it would be the Kawasaki or Honda. From what I have read, they are both very very nice machines. Not sure why they need to make them so powerful these days though! The 500cc I had was pretty much as strong as needed for 98% of all riders.
                    a.k.a.---> Erich

www.avalawnlandscaping.com

Build a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.
                    Set a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Comment

I had a Polaris 450 back in the mid 90s with a plow. Worked great. As was said before the plow frame attached way back underneath. Plowed a small parking lot 100x35 in ahbout 15 min with 10" of heavy wet snow. I carried out an elk, myself and a buddy on it in one trip roughly 6 miles. Never had a problem. Carried out half a moose and no problem. As for plowing, I though it did a great job.

Comment

i have a few 01' polaris sportsman 400's and these things are basicly bulletproof, ive never plowed, but i have towed a 2000lb trailer around the house to move it to the truck, plently of power even on the 400. I would deff go with polaris though, gotta love the CTV, your always in the perfect gear

-zach
                        48" Exmark lazer ct
                        32" bradley WB, 10.5 briggs
                        (2) 48" 14hp john deere WB's
                        72" Grasshopper 928D
                        shindawa 261 trimmer
                        shindawa 261 edger
                        8hp WB blower
                        kawaski K400A backpack blower
                        MTD 3.5hp WB edger
                        husky 28cc stick edger
                        weedeater 22" hedgetrimmer
                        5x16 leaf trailer with 13hp loader
                        6' x 16' tandem trailer pulled by a..
                        98' Chevy Silverado 2500 long bed

Comment

We used a quad on all of our sidewalks in a shopping center last year, it works great when it was running. The winch on the plow would jam, and we would have to pull it out and get it back into the right spot, it usually did this after we hit a curb, but at night with not that much light, it is difficult to fix right away. It did a good job with getig the snow off the sidewalk, right down to the cement, os it had enough down force, and turning around was pretty easy. I do not know if I wold use it on a driveway though, unless you had a straight run at it, but then I would still use my truck plow. I liked the quad because it save you from walking the entire shopping center when you are clearing the snow, and made it easy for going back for quick clean-ups after it stopped.
                          MB3 Property Maintenance
                          Allentown PA 18103

Comment

Works ok

Last year I used a Yamaha 350 4x4 with a cycle country blade and the elec. winch. It did a good job on driveways and walks but it was hard to find a place to put the snow and you can not carry a lot very far . Am not doing it this year as it is a pain and not that much money in removal on a small scale.

A.S.D.S. Mowing

Comment

Bulldog26, I have a Kawasaki 650 Brute Force with a 48" moose plow. I plow approximately 3/4 of a mile of dirt road with it when it snows and have had very good results. It has the manual lift which does reduce ground clearance a little, but when you're plowing, it's usually not on terrain that requires maximum clearanceThat's just my 2 cents, hope it helps.

Comment

Working...
                              X