Fertilizing for St. Augustine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fertilizing for St. Augustine

Guys, I am a newbie in these forums and appreciate any help on this subject. Ive searched the forums for a topic such as this, but can't find anything specific to my area, so here goes....

I just bought a home in Gainesville, Florida. I've never dealt with a manicured lawn before because I grew up on a farm where the yard didn't really get any attention.

Anyway, the grass that's been planted is St Augustine, but it is very spotty to say the least. Ive decided to plant some sod in the spring when fall and winter get through, because I've been told that now is not a good time because the roots wont set in for a while. So, here's my question....

In this area of North-eastern Florida, how often do you fertilize and weed-n-feed, when, and what do you use? Someone told me to weed and feed once a year in the fall, but to fertilize 4 times a year (quarterly). He did not tell me what would be good as far as the numbers go. (10-20-15 or whatever). My lawn is half shade from oak trees, and half wide open sun-light. Any help would be appreciated. THANKS!!!
    - Your home for Gator Tailgating and Gator Sports News and Forums.

Originally posted by rustyt22
    Guys, I am a newbie in these forums and appreciate any help on this subject. Ive searched the forums for a topic such as this, but can't find anything specific to my area, so here goes....

I just bought a home in Gainesville, Florida. I've never dealt with a manicured lawn before because I grew up on a farm where the yard didn't really get any attention.

Anyway, the grass that's been planted is St Augustine, but it is very spotty to say the least. Ive decided to plant some sod in the spring when fall and winter get through, because I've been told that now is not a good time because the roots wont set in for a while. So, here's my question....

In this area of North-eastern Florida, how often do you fertilize and weed-n-feed, when, and what do you use? Someone told me to weed and feed once a year in the fall, but to fertilize 4 times a year (quarterly). He did not tell me what would be good as far as the numbers go. (10-20-15 or whatever). My lawn is half shade from oak trees, and half wide open sun-light. Any help would be appreciated. THANKS!!!
    rustyt22

Since you are right there, go to the U of Fla. book store and pick up a copy of the "Florida Lawn Handbook" By Ruppert & Black. $ 19.95. BTW you can also order it from Amazon.com for $ 14.95.

This Book is the Bible of Florida Turf Grass and is one of the Study guides for the Pesticide applicators test. BTW U of F. has many Turf research programs going on all the time. There are a lot of knowledge people in your area.

Good Luck

You can lead a donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass drink.

Comment

the cheap and easy is scotts bonus s for st aug grass. weed and feed now, pre-emergence in feb before the crabgrass sets in and middle of may and 1st of August.

go to home cheapo and ask questions for your home lawn for bugs and other but without them coming out to see it they will not be able to tell you exactly what you need. no one can except ric

Comment

since I'm in zone 7, I'll keep my remarks to my self! Listen to ric

Comment

Doesn't warm season turf in North FLA go dormant in the winter months?

lorenzo piedra revolutionizing the commercial grounds maintenance industry since 1987*

"if you tremble with indignation at every injustice then you are a comrade of mine"

Comment

Tim and Dave

Thank you, But I must tell you all That Mikey Seascape of Columbus Ohio is the true expert on all of the Green Industry. JUST ASK HIM.

Lorenzo

Gainesville, although part of North Florida, generally has year round growth on C-4 turf. However some years weather condition will cause it to go dormant. Waiting until spring to lay new sod, is not a bad Idea. Especially for the rainy season which can reduce irrigation costs. Most new homeowner don't want to wait until conditions are perfect.

Comment

Originally posted by Ric

Thank you, But I must tell you all That Mikey Seascape of Columbus Ohio is the true expert on all of the Green Industry. JUST ASK HIM.
              Why the sucker punch to Mike, Ric?
              Chris
              GrassChopper Lawn Care
              Member TurfGrass Council of North Carolina

Comment

Rusty22:

Since a manicured lawn is new to you, I'll suggest a real good place to start. How about a local, professional LCO company who has experience in these matters?

I'll never understand why homeowners come in here and expect to get all sorts of free expert advice, enabling them to save a bundle of money. Without seeign the problem, all advice is just that, advice.

Call a professional.

Woody
                Woody

"Those willing to give up a little liberty for a little security deserve neither security nor liberty." ---Benjamin Franklin

"This country, with its institutions, belongs to the people who inhabit it. Whenever they shall grow weary of the existing Government, they can exercise their constitutional right of amending it, or their revolutionary right to dismember or overthrow it." ---Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by edger
                  Why the sucker punch to Mike, Ric?

Edger

I don't believe you have been following the discourse between the truly educated professionals and the illiterate jerk that posted St Augustine was weeds. Even Bob Kessler who is a highly recognized professional in the industry jumped on Trout.

Comment

Dave n Mulberry:

Thanks so much for your detailed reply. What exactly do you mean by pre-emergence? I did get this though, tell me if Im understanding correctly....

Weed n feed- late october
                    Scotts Bonus S - February
                    Scotts Bonus S- Mid May
                    Scotts Bonus S- August 1st

Or is Scotts Bonus S actually the weed and feed? And in that case, use Scotts Bonus S 4 times a year, at the above times?

Ric:

Thanks for reccomending the book. I will be buying it today....

Woody

As sad as this is, I own my own lawn cutting business, although very small, where I live now. I just dont handle any pesticides, herbicides, or anything like that. I just cut, trim, edge, and blow, and get on the road. That other stuff is to risky for me.....for ex: striping someone's lawn, or burning their grass. I want to try on my own lawn before i even think about going to others. So, in other words, I can't hire my competition to do what I want to learn. Thanks for the input though!

Comment

Rusty

You might want to know Weed & Feed is a pesticide and you will need a license to apply it to others yards.

Comment

im glad you told me that...I didnt know that was a pesticide since it only kills weeds, and fertilizes. Does it actually help with lawn pests too? or is that just a legal term for it?

Comment

Originally posted by rustyt22
                          im glad you told me that...I didnt know that was a pesticide since it only kills weeds, and fertilizes. Does it actually help with lawn pests too? or is that just a legal term for it?

Rusty

Here is a Copy and Paste from another forum dealing with this subject, including Links.

26 October 2004

Dear Mr. Scrub:

This will respond to your E-mail of 24 October to Dale Dubberly requesting information on the requirements for licensure and certification for performing pest control in the State of Florida.

The practice of commercial pest control in Florida is regulated under the provisions of the Structural Pest Control Act, Chapter 482, Florida Statutes, which can be accessed through our website at www.floridatermitehelp.org. This law is administered and enforced by the Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services, Bureau of Entomology and Pest Control.

Pest Control within the meaning of this law includes one or more of the following categories: General Household Pest and Rodent Control, Termite Control, Lawn and Ornamental Pest Control or Fumigation.

Briefly, the law provides that each pest control business location must be licensed by this agency and that the pest control operations of the business location must be in the charge of a certified operator. The certified operator must be certified in the category or categories (noted above) in which the business wishes to operate, whose primary occupation is in the pest control business, and who is employed on a full-time basis by the licensed firm.

Pest control operator certificates are issued to persons who pass the written examinations given by this agency and who are not minors. Qualifications for examination can be met by experience or education plus experience. Those qualifying by experience must document high school education or equivalency and three years verified experience as a service employee of a licensee who performs pest control in the category or categories in which certification is desired, at least one year of which experience must have been under a licensee in this state immediately preceding application for examination. Those qualifying through education may qualify with a 2-year degree and 20 semester hours or 30 quarter hours advanced training or a major in entomology, botany, agronomy or horticulture from a recognized college or university.

Page Two
                          Mr. Scrub
                          26 October 2004

They may also qualify without a degree, provided they have 24 semester hours or 36 quarter hours advanced training in the above fields of study. Those qualifying through education must also document one year service employment as a service employee of a Florida licensee that performs pest control in any category or categories. If the training is in entomology, the applicant is qualified for examination in all categories. If the training is in horticulture, botany, or agronomy, the applicant is qualified for the examination only in the category of lawn and ornamental pest control. The applicant MUST qualify as of the deadline for making application for examination. For instance the next examination someone could make application for will be given in March 2005 and the deadline for making application for that exam will be 10 January 2005. Therefore, a person wanting to apply for that exam will have to meet the one year experience requirement of holding an identification card with a licensed pest control company prior to that date.

In summary, a person entering the pest control business must be licensed by this agency. In order to be issued a business license he must, first, either obtain a certificate through certain qualifications and examination, or obtain the services of a person already certified, and qualified to be in the charge of the pest control operations of his business.

A person wanting only to mow and edge but do no pest control (weeds included) does not need a license. If you wish to offer weed control in plant beds, the following category would meet that need. Limited certification for the Commercial Landscape Maintenance category carries a requirement of three years experience, completion of eight classroom hours of plant bed and ornamental continuing education training approved by the department plus proof of having a certificate of insurance which states that the employer meets the requirements for minimum financial responsibility for bodily injury and property damage required by s. 482.071(4). Certification under this category would only authorize you to apply herbicides for controlling weeds in plant beds and to perform integrated pest management on ornamental plants using the following materials: insecticides having the signal word “caution” but not having the word “warning” or “danger” on the label, insecticidal soaps, horticultural oils, and bacillus thuringiensis formulations. The application equipment that may be used by a person certified pursuant to this section is limited to portable, handheld 3-gallon compressed air sprayers or equipment. The experience you gain through working with this Limited certification will not count towards the qualifying time requirement to take the Certified Operator examination. Also, each person employed at the landscape company performing this service would be required to have the limited certification described above.

Page 3
                          Mr. Scrub
                          26 October 2004

If you meet these qualifications and wish to apply for a license or wish to be examined for certification, please advise and give us a complete mailing address. We will mail you the necessary license application or notice of the next examination as the case may be or you may download information from our website at www.floridatermitehelp.org. I hope this information has been helpful to you. Should you have further questions, please let us know.

Sincerely,

CHARLES H. BRONSON
                          COMMISSIONER OF AGRICULTURE

Shirley M. Hofacker, Supervisor
                          Document Issuance Section

FYI
                          Pest control is any means of Controlling or Supressing any Plant or Animal life that is undisireable, by any means. Even pouring boiling water on ants hills is concided pest control under the law.

Comment

Rusty what you need to do now is get ahold of Bob Keesler, also a member of this board, and he'll steer you in the right direction on how to get your "limited" license in the State of Florida. You'll obviously be limited to garden areas (NO TURF) but it's a start. Whatever you do, don't apply any pesticides, herbicides, rodenticides, etc... to anything other than your own property unless your properly licensed. Personally I wouldn't even carry and bonus S, weed n feed, max guard or whatever on my truck. Code could come by and do a quick once over on your operation and give you a nice little bill up to 5k. I think the state also just hired several more code officers just to bust up any illegal applicators. I always read about them on the quarterly reports. Your best bet is just to keep mowing, maybe do a few small landscaping jobs and then expand from there.
                            If you feel that you must burn our flag, please wrap yourself in it first.

Comment

Working...
                            X