$95 hour as a subcontractor with plow truck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• $95 hour as a subcontractor with plow truck

Driving a plow truck is going to be a new experience. I've been working in maintenance for four year and might finally get a 4x4. Starting out with this setup seems like a good strategy for this winter and going for commercial accounts the next.

Thinking about buying a plow truck for twenty eight hundred because it works well.
    79 4x4 F-150 (upgraded suspension)
    7.5 meyers plow

needs some minor mechanical work: new fan shroud or cooling fan because it overheats when blades up, new battery, axel stud, air cleaner and heater hose. Tires are good and brakes supposed to be good but I'll check for sure.

Is this a decent buy for twenty eight hundred if trucks motor, trans and brakes are sound (body needs some work and paint)? My dealer will check out the plow operation for free (quick basic check).

A company that will hire me for ninety five an hour to plow a route if I have the truck, insurance gas and ready 24/7.

Any general comments apreciated...
    Thanks
    www.odneallawncare.com

yea its a decent buy, not a great one in my mind, but im in the north east so the deals may be a little different up here, whatever you do, just make sure you and your truck are in great shape, if your not ready to go as soon as the snow flies, your not gonna be working for them for long, and plowing beats up your equipment pretty good, so go over evrything before and after evry occasion out plowing. just be prepared for a long day and night and keep your stuff ready to go at all times, other then that .....................good luck
    Alex B

Comment

Lawn Hopper

Is one truck going to be enough?? At the minimum i would think you would want to have a backup unit and a second backup....

My friend does this up in albany N.Y and has about 15-20 trucks for 7 guys i believe...

Is there some others to cover you when you have some mechanical problem ??A small thing can knock a single plow truck out of service for a hour while 6" piles up.....

Work hard the first weeks ,save all the money and get a backup if possible..
      GOOD LUCK..TRANS
      GOD BLESS AMERICA (MY HOME SWEET HOME ) !!!!!

- ahum : Kawi piston at full speed just before crank wipes out and rod shoots threw block

Comment

"new fan shroud or cooling fan because it overheats when blades up"

You may consider adding an auxillary electric fan with a switch ( or thermostat controlled ) to save from overheating. Easily installed, also can help in the summer if you run the AC alot or are pulling a heavy load

Comment

Thanks for the comments about the backup trucks and the electric fan. I am wondering if I should stay away from this truck because it's older and possibly more prone to breakdowns than a new one. Thinking that I'll snow blow drives again this year and set up more clients on contracts for next years plow truck.
          www.odneallawncare.com

Comment

Working...
          X