Holiday lighting: franchise or build?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Holiday lighting: franchise or build?

Installed a couple facia strings on ranches last year and half dozen the year before and made $35-50 an hour. I could make $50 an hour or better this year on those same jobs if I called them because I turned them down last year and several didn't do a display. Thinking that there's not much competition because there's not much advertising or visable companies. My average job was $100.

Thinking about offering holiday lighting to my customers and advertising to get my foot into the door this year because this is more profitable than my fall leaf cleanups (cleanups are producing $50 hour and 30% support time, they are too high cost in equipment and boring). I would like to be prepared for a season in 2005 and think that I should start now to learn it. Calling my customers personally to find out their plans.

Does anyone have experience starting a holiday lighting/decor business that is profitable? If so, what would be the factors to success? Lets have a discussion about sales, installation and products.

Franchises are availible for areas around my city; starting at $5,700. They train a group every year in Texas and get you started. Decent territories cost $17,000. Wondering if I can build a business effectively instead of buying one. Financing wouldn't be a problem for a purchase but saving that cash could benefit my growth if I'm effective at building the business from scratch.

Thinking about starting sales meeting with general info and pictures of decorated homes. Would like to show a video (on laptop) with installation and finished projects.

Start off with minimum jobs being $100-250; 100 starting to get a feel for the market. If market is welcoming, bump up to $250 give or take. Lights purchase will be seperate or I'll install their previously used lights. Markup lights for purchase of course. Distributers are on the net; haven't compared any products yet.

Heard that I shouldn't offer to strand on steep roofs unfit for walking because it's dangerous (if that wasn't already aparent). A boom would do the job there when the market and I are ready. Any good equipment ideas like ladders that work well on gradual slopes? Anyone use scafolding, walkways and booms? Whats the best ladder and equipment for starting. Anyone use harnesses and ropes for steep roofs? Other pertinent info... ?
    Thanks
    www.odneallawncare.com

Other pertinent info... ?

Question ... why would you want to invest even a "dime" in a franchise that offers such a temporary source of income? When $5,700 ... $17,000 ... invested with Fidelity yields ( what ) for doing absolutely nothing ?

Also did you know that in virtually any market in the U.S. you can gross $100,000 a year with absolutely ZERO cash upfront invested? Given that notion does a Xmas franchise make any sense at all for anybody other than the franchisor?

Comment

fdasdtgfasdfasf
      www.odneallawncare.com

Comment

Originally posted by lawn hopper
        fdasdtgfasdfasf
        Home Depot already has a XMAS "lighting solution" for homes ... maybe commercial is a better market ...

Comment

Working...
        X