Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Working Smart

WORKING SMART...
    What does it mean? The smart part of working is to correctly manage theworking hard part. To practice working smart, you need to apply sound business practices and persevere in doing that. If you continue to work
    hard and persist at only that, you could work hard for the rest of your life
    and probably only achieve a marginal result. The bottom line is that a lot of people do business that way. Successful business people on the other hand know that they must apply time-proven management techniques.
    They practicethe "art of smart" by staying on top of their game, listening
    closely to allthe messages and signals, planning a course of action,
    sticking to the plan and expecting good results everyday.

Can you give some examples of this? It blows grinding out a living 4 days per week.
    Corn Flake

Comment

Using (other peoples time) and energy to do the work ...

What if you had 10 guys who everyday "pounded out" let's say $100 profit each (net) to your wallet ... One thousand a day ... not bad right? (without you lifting a finger?) what about 20 guys, 30, ... 50 ... ?

It's not for everyone, some folks prefer working alone and having no headaches with employees, equipment, debt, management and so on ... in other words they are not out to get rich ... just make a living ... nothing wrong with that right?

But at 90 degrees, the sweat rolling down and burning your eyeballs as you go around in circles all day breathing mower exhaust ... ya gotta wonder if this is the best way to make a buck ??

?? Well mowing grass IS a way to make a buck ... but the big bucks go to those who have a lot of people out there "mowing" ... ... since you are just one person and can easily "knock yourself out" without somebody actually punching you >>>

Comment

So what would you say are the two biggest obstacles to overcome? The ones that I see you repeat most often are,

"Leveraging yourself to earn money - This is where you multiply your time through the efforts of others by setting up Multiple Sources of Income (MSI). This is, without question, the very best way to increase your income. Make a decision to have many sources of income; it's the strategy that wealthy people have used dating clear back to the ancient Babylonians. Unfortunately, this strategy is only used by approximately 1% of our population, yet that 1% earns approximately 96% of all the money that is earned!" or close along those lines and,

"KNOW YOUR NUMBERS.
        Because of the size of commercial properties, the scope of the work, availability of labor, and often the need for an extensive inventory of equipment capable of handling the larger jobs, the need to fully understand job costs is crucial to covering costs and making profits. Generally, commercial customers look for the lowest priced job bid, along with the contractor’s ability to perform the work. Profits can be quite thin, so knowing where to draw the line with price is paramount. In other words, the commercial market is no place for anyone who doesn't have expertise is accessing the work bid on.

Labor hours, equipment, production, work scheduling and satisfying customer needs on a large scale can easily overwhelm a contractor who is unclear on the requirements needed to handle commercial work or does not have the ability to perform to contract specifications. Remember that the "price advantage" rests in the hands of the commercial customer because the work has probably been tested for price repeatedly in the market. Before receiving a price, the customer already knows what to expect - he's "been there" many times with many contractors."

These two and advertise like its your last day to ever get a new account.
        Corn Flake

Comment

I'm in a situation (because of my contacts in this industry) to see first hand what works and what doesn't ... and why.

The big dollars (there are owners with take home pays of $500,000 plus) in this biz are earned not so much by "risk takers" but those who believe and understand that it is possible to do ... they look at the big picture in big markets ... they put huge amounts of manpower to work knowing that their own time (on earth) runs out at some point ... oh no! ...

Sell a lot of other peoples time ... sell time for any amount (above) what it cost you ... it doesn't matter ... sell it to the highest bidder other peoples time since you never owned it in the first place and it didn't belong to you ... right? ... when "yesterday" is over ... it doesn't matter whos time you sold (except) your own ... you have no choice but to use other peoples time ... it's inevitable ... so buy it from whoever is foolish enough to sell time to you at low prices ...

Sell anybodys time ... doing anything ... that you yourself will never have the time (by yourself to do) ... it's that easy.

Comment

And then there are those of us whose who have a set professional income and don't need to work really. 10 years go by sitting on arse and gaining weight 'til you tip scales @ 325#! All you care to do is bass fish and keep your yard immaculate so you figure the honest work would be beneficial to your fat/aging arse. You tinker w/it until you decide to go legit. Insurance, license, good equipment and some hustlin'. Mind you one never really looked to get rich, just supplement income. Besides, you look like shat and feel even worse. Word of mouth gets around that you're reliable and affordable. Next thing you know you by a ZTR w/52" deck and efficiency starts making $$$. You see how larger rural lawns are not "manicured", just mowed and trimmed and these folks are never home. You soon target these types of lawns/clients who need their time on weekends for family/friends/hobbies. Next thing you know you never advertised, your weekly schedule is as full as a professional like yourself (OTHER profession than LCO) wants to entertain. Business is picking up from word o' mouth as these types are not used to finished look of quality cared for lawn so they're ecstatic.

Been an interesting summer!

Blessed brothers, blessed! 30# lighter, more energy than I had in years and first honest $$ I sweated for in over a decade.

Needed to get back to roots/reality of my white trash/redneck origins. I spent the day today in the creek w/family, (fiance and our dogs) and local blue collars running from 102 degree heat index and 100% humidity. We all enjoyed the beer, cool creek water and rest.

Comment

Work smarter not harder that has been what I have been telling my guys for the past two years.

More profit with less work...

Now if I can only automate all Routing, scheduling and billing, than smarter will pay off around 7-10% more.

Comment

Originally posted by Countryside
                Work smarter not harder that has been what I have been telling my guys for the past two years. More profit with less work...
                Now if I can only automate all Routing, scheduling and billing, than smarter will pay off around 7-10% more.
                Not so fast ... sometimes (not always) companies that have gone total
                "computer systems" and relied on those have gotten so out of touch with the work, the customers, labor hours and what's really happening on the ground (go see for yourself) ... what one calls "management controls" ... ... you sell time ... you need to control time Each day do some accounting ... like 15 minutes worth ...

here's a link to that all important subject called >>>> control >>>>

http://www.lawnserviceforum.com/show...hlight=figures

Comment

Phil, I will take a look at your link later this weekend but not tonight it's been a killer week plus we pick up another Apartment Complex on 10 acres that will need service tomarrow, and to top it off I had to let one guy go today and another on his way out as soon as a replacement is found.

Good-greef, does anybody really want to work these days?

Tomarrow I will be stopping at the Latino store and posting a help wanted add there.

I do agree on spreading out the office work a little at a time, I was thinking about 1-1.5 per week thos will allow me to enter service dates on the invoices a little at a time, plus work on the books as welll. We have been working with a CPA for about 3 months now getting things set up a little better so at least I can get a real good Income & Expence report and Budget vs. real spending.

Growth is a killer!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Countryside

Growth is a killer!!!!!

Things go fine until you hit the "organizational stage"

Comment

Working...
                    X