4 wheelers for snow removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4 wheelers for snow removal

How many of you are using 4 wheelers for snow removal? I was wondering how they do and what size 4 wheelers are adequate for snow up to 12" deep? thanks

Scott

We use to use one. They work faster on some jobs. But on smaller residential driveways, most of the time a snow blower will be faster.

12" deep? Get at least a 500cc 4x4.

The new 700cc models are sweet. They just did a comparison on them in the 4-wheeler national magazine. The Kawasaki has the best engine (750cc), but the rest of the quad is not so good. The Polaris is nice, but very heavy and will wear you out after a while. The Suzuki 700cc actually won the comparison by quite a bit.

On those big boys, you can now get 72" plows. But for 12" snow falls, you may want to stick with just a 60" plow.
    a.k.a.---> Erich

www.avalawnlandscaping.com

Build a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.
    Set a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Comment

I was wondering because I haven't heard too much talk about people on here using them. That link that Phil posted to Lipinski's landscaping said that he has 55 of them for snow removal. i was just wondering how practical they are. thanks for the info.

Scott

Comment

They are great, especially for sidewalks. The "V" plow is a good tool as well.

Be carefull getting a large engine, the machine will be larger as well. If you have smaller areas, the physical size of the machine can sometimes be a problem.

I agree with Erich, a 400-500cc engine should be plenty. I used to have a Kawi Prairie 400, 4x4 with a 60" V-plow. Worked wonders on sidewalks and residential driveways. I had a lot more power that what I could push.
        Jeeps are like women.....much more fun with their TOPS OFF!

A society that rewards based on need creates needy citizens. A society that rewards based on ability creates able ones.

Do you guys think Obama is going to kiss us after he is done with us or is he going to put on his belt and head out the door?

Comment

Jack D. ran a loaner/demo on smaller drives and long swaths of sidewalks in subdivisions, however turning radius and length are huge detriments. He now uses single stage Toros & hydraulic Walk Tractors w/plow & blower attachments exclusively and has cornered the market in residential snow removal in his area.

Comment

Jack is so funny.

Apparently he demos everything- Saves on rental costs....... Soon, his local reps will have him figured out and he'll have to close shop or go back to his fleet of lawnboys.

The reality is, all Jack has cornered is a couple of scared sheep.
            GEEVEE®, Pat.Pend. TM, UL

If you're gonna be dumb, you better be tough

Comment

Loaned you a quad with a plow during a snow storm? Interesting.

With longer driveways, the length of the machine doesn't mean much. They aren't much longer than a large ZTR mower, but are narrower. As for turning, the new ones turn in a pretty tight area.

Having said all of that, it really depends on what you are removing snow from. Short driveways will be quicker with a snow blower. Longer ones? Go down one way with a quad and blade angled out, turn around come back up....boom, job done.
              a.k.a.---> Erich

Comment

Please review the length of the unit below and compare it to a Quad w/plow. Please understand the unit below can Spin on a Dime, the turning radius is zero. If one does not understand the benefits of compact, zero turning units in snow, please purchase Jack D.'s memoirs, available soon in PDF.

Jack D. is afforded many demos as dealers and ladies vie desperatly for his lucrative patronage.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...1/DSCF0020.jpg

Comment

That thing is funny look'n. How about a plow on a ZTR. Anyone do that.

Comment

Originally posted by Jack D.
                    Please review the length of the unit below and compare it to a Quad w/plow.
                    I said a quad is about as long as a ZTR mower, not that walk behind.

However, once you put a human behind that walk behind, it is close to the length of a quad with a plow.
                    a.k.a.---> Erich

Comment

Please be advised that Mr. Skaper is confused. The Rider's still need carrier frames & casters and total length, even w/operator behind Walk is over 2' longer. One must also consider that operator on a Rider cannot side step in close quarters.

The only instances where a rider w/plow is faster are long unobstructed drives where a truck mounted front/rear plow would actually be the quickest method.

Comment

I think Jack D. is confused. I never said anything about putting a plow on a 'Rider' ZTR.
                        a.k.a.---> Erich

Comment

There must be a stand-on mini track loader machine that would be reasonably quick.

I have been interested in snow lately.

(I would like to know what size the tires are on that walkbehind unit.) They look like they would shed mud a bit better than the knobbies we have. )
                          GEEVEE®, Pat.Pend. TM, UL

If you're gonna be dumb, you better be tough

Comment

Mr. Skaper is more confused than Jack D. imagined. Please consider that Quads are generally longer than a compact frame Z Rider, similar to a full size and have significantly less maneuverability.

Jack D. advises the Quad/Plow is more of a toy for homeowners than an efficient, commercial tool.

The tires are basic Snow Hog, Mr. Vee, and provide excellent traction when coupled w/hydraulic drive units. Chains are rarely needed. Please note that snowfall totals predicted in Florida this season are low.

Comment

Why are you comparing the manuverability of a quad to a ZTR? No one said anything about plowing with a rider mower.

I agree with you that on smaller driveways the snow blower is faster (as stated in my first post). But on larger drives, the quad will win out. We use to take both when we did residential.
                              a.k.a.---> Erich

Comment

Working...
                              X