Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Scaper-S2k
    Phil, you know that's not what I meant.
    All I know is what you said ... getting customers is easy you said ... getting them is cake ... but like I said ... getting run of the mill accounts is to have a run of the business ... a pile of scrap iron is not the business ... thre "customer list" is the business.

Here's another company I consulted for in Toronto ... check out what I am talking about .... maybe this will clear it up ...

Here's the link ... http://www.clintar.com/

Clintar didn't get there by being a smuck outfit! They went after the "cream accounts" and now have a "cream business" ...

Comment

Originally posted by Phil Nilsson
      Here's another company I consulted for in Toronto ... check out what I am talking about .... maybe this will clear it up ...

Here's the link ... http://www.clintar.com/

Clintar didn't get there by being a smuck outfit! They went after the "cream accounts" and now have a "cream business" ...
      Phil before you tout a company you consulted with you might pick another company that has a real web site. That is funny.

Comment

The question is ... what do you want your company to be when it "grows up"? Still working "junk accounts" or moved up to the "big time"? ...

Comment

Intersting to note that Pepsico's vast customer base consists primarily of "low priced, low end, low quality customers". Who do you think they market their sugar water to ?

"The quality of your business is built and no better than the quality of your customers". Does that apply to PepsiCo or just the Lawn Jockeys who work for them?

Comment

People who drink Pepsi are quality people ... as are the majority of people ...

Here's another example of what a company can be "when it grows up" ... graduates from small time to well ... judge for yourself at this link:

http://www.dbiservices.com/

It's not for everybody ... but it's "there" to go for

Retain >>>>>> an "Advertising & Marketing Firm" to develop your company sales and marketing programs the same as you have a CPA handle your taxes.

Comment

www.clintar.com is a Real "Nice" Website!

Originally posted by MakingMoney
              Phil before you tout a company you consulted with you might pick another company that has a real web site. That is funny.
              What's wrong with the Clintar website?

It looks better than about 99% of the Green Guys websites Ive seen?

Of course I have a Decent Computer & Internet Connection too, which helps in viewing Macromedia Flash web sites?

PS: That's the Clean Corporate Image Style Internet Presence...

It reflects Professionalism!
              GrassMaster, LSF Administrator!
              LawnPro - Lawn Care Business Software:
              www.lawnbook.com --- www.lawnservicing.com

Comment

Originally posted by Phil Nilsson
                All I know is what you said ... getting customers is easy you said ... getting them is cake ... but like I said ... getting run of the mill accounts is to have a run of the business ... a pile of scrap iron is not the business ... thre "customer list" is the business.
                Phil, I'm not even arguing here. I said getting the customers was easy. I did NOT say getting crappy ones, or great ones. They are both easy to get. Because in the end, it's a sale. The main thing is holding onto that account.

Like I said, every commercial place is done by someone. So it's pretty easy to get them. But oddly, we get additional new clients each year because the last company couldn't keep them happy.

You know a few of the companies we do work for, they SURELY aren't "low priced, low end, low quality customers" as you mentioned.

Again, not arguing here.
                a.k.a.---> Erich

www.avalawnlandscaping.com

Build a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.
                Set a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Comment

The bigger they are the harder they fall. Look at the late great, John Allin and SMG; huge lawsuits and ended up filing for chapter 11. Mr. Allin might well be shovelling drives for $10 a pop now.

Jack D. advises caution in expansion based on large commercial accounts. Very few companies achieve permanence.

Comment

Please note that SMG's chapter 11 is unconfirmed, however their serious problems associated w/rapid growth are fact.

Comment

Jack, I'm glad you put that last post in there. I have heard things, but so far they are just rumors.

I've never met him personally but John A is a very nice guy and I hope everything works out. Hopefully these rumors are false.
                      a.k.a.---> Erich

www.avalawnlandscaping.com

Build a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.
                      Set a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Comment

I thought this was worth repeating ... LOL

The question is ... what do you want your company to be when it "grows up"? Still working "junk accounts" or moved up to the "big time"? ...

Every lawn care company should have an "apprentice" working for it ... hey why not ... The "Donald" does it! ...

Comment

Mr. Allin's SMG venture was or is the most ambitious "Green" Industry venture even concieved and Jack D. commends him for his vision. Unfortunately, it seems SMG did not realize that top heavy management filtering through to low level service providers is not a workable model in the highly competitive snow and ice field.

The entire structure of any truly large scale service related business demands that franchising, and in Mr. Allin's case, massive subcontracting and satellite management be the cornerstone of profits. Actual service "customers" as Mr. Nilsson refers to, while crucial, are secondary to the ultimate business' daily operations and profits.

Comment

Originally posted by GrassMaster
                            What's wrong with the Clintar website?

It looks better than about 99% of the Green Guys websites Ive seen?

Of course I have a Decent Computer & Internet Connection too, which helps in viewing Macromedia Flash web sites?

PS: That's the Clean Corporate Image Style Internet Presence...

It reflects Professionalism!
                            My mistake. It took so long to load on my slow dial up that I thought it was done since it only showed part of the first page when I backed out if it.

Comment

Not to be argumentative but advertising and marketing costs a lot of money. Having the financial resources to afford that is not within the reach of most people here. I'm assuming the clients you service must be willing to pay a premium for your services. The thing that most of us here are trying to achieve is the personal freedom that comes from being self employed. There are a few who will break out and go real big time down the road. Creativity, imagination and hard work are attributes that most people possess but don't utilize. While it's true that successful marketing can be purchased it can also be created by duplicating (on a budget fit to scale) the activities and efforts of other wildly successful companies. Then find something that sets you apart from other companies. Don't spend all your time asking others "what do I need to do?" unless you have the resources to get professional advice. Get your brain in gear and start finding unique ways to spread your message and position yourself in your market.
                              http://www.absoluteoutdoorservices.com

Comment

Originally posted by Jack D.
                                Mr. Allin's SMG venture was or is the most ambitious "Green" Industry venture even concieved and Jack D. commends him for his vision. Unfortunately, it seems SMG did not realize that top heavy management filtering through to low level service providers is not a workable model in the highly competitive snow and ice field.
                                Any more news on the above situation?

Comment

Working...
                                X