Storm Stories

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Storm Stories

I was heading North on I-84 ... the state DOT lost control of the highways, I was the only vehicle on the road ... the snow was falling the size of 50 cent pieces ... wind driven blizzard snow ... suddenly I saw this big "dark shadowy thing" in the road ahead couldn't make out what it was ... turned out to be a 18 wheeler straddling across three lanes ... blocking the highway going north ... just sitting there ... I got out and went up to the cab to find the driver asleep with his head resting on the steering wheel ... but he was breathing so I didn't wake him up ... his truck had lost control and was stuck in a heap of snow ... I backed my truck back down the snow tracks all the way back down to the previous exit ... thinking that if I tried to turn it around I'd get stuck too ... got off and went and plowed some accounts ... 18 to 24 inches fresh fall on the ground.

Another time I was ... at a account plowing with another one of my trucks ... and ... well shucks ... let me give you guys a chance to write about your storm stories too ?...

We had an ice storm once. No electric,no water, no heat for 9 days. Never left the house for 5 days. Wouldn't have gone out then but I ran out of smokes. Walked 5 miles to the store for smokes. Thank God I stopped smoking. Now I walk 5 miles all the time with a trimmer in my hand and don't think anything of it.

Comment

Phil, where do you live?

Comment

I don't know about a storm, but yesterday (Sat.) it was over 70 degrees at 5:30 in the pm. It's now 7:32 am (Sun) it's 33. Forecast for Mon 16 degrees.

I did some plowing yesterday but it was to get some land ready to plant a garden.
        Blake

Comment

Originally posted by Getter Done Lawn
          Phil, where do you live?
          Connecticut ... we get maybe 15 storm missions a winter ... snow, ice, whatever ... they also lay down sand and salt ... pavement sweeping in spring to get the sand up is another added source of revenue.

All of our contracts were "fixed" ... paid snow or no snow based on average number of storms past 20 years. We prayed for (no) snow ...

Storm Story ...

This is a funny one ... on one storm we sent this new employee to plow by himself at just one account for the entire night (to keep things simple for him) ... problem was ... he went and plowed the wrong account (big office park) and spent the whole night doing it ... in the meanwhile (our) account he was supposed to be plowing got "ticked off" to say the least ... because nobody showed up ... almost lost that account which was about $40,000 year around maint gig.

Comment

[QUOTE

Storm Story ...

This is a funny one ... on one storm we sent this new employee to plow by himself at just one account for the entire night (to keep things simple for him) ... problem was ... he went and plowed the wrong account (big office park) and spent the whole night doing it ... in the meanwhile (our) account he was supposed to be plowing got "ticked off" to say the least ... because nobody showed up ... almost lost that account which was about $40,000 year around maint gig. [/QUOTE] Communication, communication, communication.
            Conan, what is best in life? To crush the Democrats, to see them driven before me, and to hear the lamentation of the liberals.

Comment

Originally posted by Littleriver1
              We had an ice storm once. No electric,no water, no heat for 9 days. Never left the house for 5 days. Wouldn't have gone out then but I ran out of smokes. Walked 5 miles to the store for smokes. Thank God I stopped smoking. Now I walk 5 miles all the time with a trimmer in my hand and don't think anything of it.

let me guess.....xmas 1998

steve
              "THE BADDEST LAWN APE ON THE PLANET"

Comment

Working...
              X