Grass seed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grass seed

I had a job this summer where I put some seed down for a customer (premium seed from supply house) and it came up patchy. Basicly by the end of the summer it looked thin and patchy. What did I do wrong? Need more seed? Also do you charge to come water it everyday or leave that to the c
    customer?
    Thanks for any info.
    Binkley's L.C.

Originally posted by Binkley'sLC
    I had a job this summer where I put some seed down for a customer (premium seed from supply house) and it came up patchy. Basicly by the end of the summer it looked thin and patchy. What did I do wrong? Need more seed? Also do you charge to come water it everyday or leave that to the c
    customer?
    Thanks for any info.
    Binkley's L.C.
    Generally, when you put seed down, put down more than is needed. Seed is sometimes a little funny about germination. And yes I would charge the customer to come to home and water it for him.
    Lowcountry Landscapes

Comment

If you leave it to the homeowner to water, be sure to tell them how much and how often. Best time is early morning or late afternoon/evening. AT what rate did u seed? what kind of seed did u use, and what time of year?

Comment

Since you're in PA I'm assuming you put down a cool season seed. Where you went wrong was putting it down in the summer. Had you planted it in the fall the roots system would have had more time to develop. Planting cool season grass anytime other than fall is a waste of time usually. Also, did you prep the soil in any way? The more time you spend prepping the soil for planting the better germination rate you'll have.

Comment

What did you do exactly before we can really help you. Such as did you areate, fertilize, put straw on top, did it get enough water, did it get too much water, is the location shady, sunny.

Comment

RRS made a good point. Planting grass seed in the summer is a "no no". The best time is in the fall and lawn prep. like raking and/or aerating is key..

Comment

If I was a betting man I'd say that do to the results described, the property was virgin. Great points as to what happened and would like to add that there was a study done that took three football fields and applied different amount/lbs of KB grass. The results found that by applying the standard rate or by adding several pounds more made no difference. Sorry I can't be more specific and be able to validate this, but can't remember where I read this. If found will post study. Has anyone else heared of this? To add, you must bury seed under a thin layer of soil no deeper than 1/4". Fall is to be the preffered time, but have read that spring time is also adequate. I tend to go with fall. tried a top dress/ overseed last spring did ok but, could have been better. the ground unlike sod that must be kept wet for 2 weeks, should be keeped moist and not allowed to become dry. Helps seed germinate. Also ,learned the hard way, the soil that is placed over your seed, if possible, be a mix that will stay uncompacted or unable to form a hard crust on top. Colorado soil just plain blows and needs, as mentioned before by others good prepping. Golf courses use a special mix designed for there coarse, becareful not to assume becuase they're using this mix that its ok for your property. If not bound to a limited customer budget recommend soil test. good info. to base your next move. Just some info.. Also this is a cool season grass, unsure if applies to warm season as well. Look forward to having the differences if any posted. To be honest though, to seed from scratch would be my last option to the customer. Sod is the way to go if for no other reason then it changes the property instantly and creates instant customer satisfaction. Keep it simple . Always professional!

Comment

Originally posted by crzymoe
                Best time is early morning or late afternoon/evening.
                First part is right

Comment

Thanks for all the input everyone. Sounds like I did some good and some bad. Summer seeding and letting the customer water it were the two biggest issues.
                  Thanks,
                  Binkley's L.C.

Comment

Working...
                  X