Lawn/Landscape Bidder - how to pay?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lawn/Landscape Bidder - how to pay?

I'm looking to expand my lawn/landscape business and am seeking to hire a man to handle some of my bidding work. I was thinking of offering an hourly rate plus a commission on jobs acquired, does anyone have any advice about what would be an appropriate rate/percentage to offer?

Welcome to the forum VA Grounds.

I'm not at the point with my business where I could justify a full time estimator, but I've given the idea a lot of thought. My whole estimating process is setup so it would be easy for another person to step in and take over in the future.

In my opinion a full time estimator is a salaried position with bonuses or commisions where applicable. You sell the work to keep the estimator busy and everyone is happy.

I would like to hear how some of the other handle this though. Good question.

Comment

Originally posted by VA Grounds
      I'm looking to expand my lawn/landscape business and am seeking to hire a man to handle some of my bidding work. I was thinking of offering an hourly rate plus a commission on jobs acquired, does anyone have any advice about what would be an appropriate rate/percentage to offer?
      Don't do it ... BIG mistake! Keep a lot of distance >>>>> between your employees >>>>> your prices >>>>> your customers >>>>> your profits.

Comment

Don't do it ... BIG mistake! Keep a lot of distance >>>>> between your employees >>>>> your prices >>>>> your customers >>>>> your profits.
        Phil you're always preaching about removing yourself from the day to day business tasks in order to manage the entire operation. Once your business reaches a certain point doesn't estimating become just another day to day task that could be handed off to another person that you manage?

Sounds like a major limitation for growth to me.

Comment

Bidding

I feel it is more important to sell myself and my company to the customer.
          It is better for me to bid and sell all the jobs, there are too many variables that can slip by a less experienced salesperson.
          It is better in my opinion to train a good supervisor to handle the crews and the daily production in order to free up time for the sales and marketing.

Comment

Originally posted by treedoc1
            I feel it is more important to sell myself and my company to the customer.
            It is better for me to bid and sell all the jobs, there are too many variables that can slip by a less experienced salesperson.
            It is better in my opinion to train a good supervisor to handle the crews and the daily production in order to free up time for the sales and marketing.
            Treedoc1 hit the nail on the head. Leave the bidding for yourself and find or train up a foreman/supervisor that can handle any job.
            If you feel that you must burn our flag, please wrap yourself in it first.

Comment

Originally posted by RRS
              Phil you're always preaching about removing yourself from the day to day business tasks in order to manage the entire operation. Once your business reaches a certain point doesn't estimating become just another day to day task that could be handed off to another person that you manage?

Sounds like a major limitation for growth to me.
              For big biz ... sure ... but the vast majority of LCO's are under 5 employees and under $500,000 in sales

Comment

What I have learned in business school and in the working field is sales people are a dime a dozen. They can easily be replaced. Never, ever have a sales person on salary. If they are happy with their salary and do not need any more money they will not sell the jobs for you. It will not matter to them. They should always work on commission to keep them hungery for work. Maybe some type of bonus system if they do a good job at the end of the season.

Comment

Working...
                X