Cant open air breather

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cant open air breather

Bobcat ztrn 23 hp Kaw motor. The 2 black solid molded wing nut lookin jobs that loosen to open the air breather are just turning. Wont thread off.

Any Suggestions?
    SENIOR MODERATOR LSF COMMUNITY CONTROL CORDINATOR
    Have a Nice Day, from the Lawn Service Forum S.A.S.M
    www.lawnbook.com
    www.lawnservicing.com
    Click Here: For Lawn Care Business Kit
    Click Here: For FREE Marketing "Mini-Course"
    Please ask questions about the business here, I'm unable to answer them 1 on 1.
    Please Visit Our Sponsors, They Make this Forum Possible!
    NOW AVAILABLE FOR FREE LSF IN 5.0 !!! JUST PM GRASSMASTER TO GET YOURS TODAY!!

""POYMIT"

ATTRITION :alien:

Does the bolt go through the wingnut? If so can you hold the top of the bolt with a pair of pliers, back the nut off to the pliers, then hold the bolt under the wingnut and take it the rest of the way off.

That's all I got.

Comment

No,, just solid mold wing nut. I looked on one of my 04 bobcats and it appears theres a brass threaded insert inside the solid molded nut. But i dont know if the studs are turning,,, and if the are youd think i could back them out of the bottom of the carb? or if the inserts are slipping? I thought i might be able to pry the molds off the brass insert ( i really doubt its brass but it looks like it) and than take the inserts off w/ pliers,,, but that wasnt looking to good either,, just Funkn up my plastic.

My guess is,,, somebody tightened them to hard and the inserts bottomed out on the stud,,, now theyre spinning?
      www.lawnbook.com
      www.lawnservicing.com

""POYMIT"

Comment

The bolts may have very little thread length, and they have been threaded/tightened "through" the carb.

Break the plastic wingnut to access the head (as you mentioned, there may be no "head') of the threaded bolt and remove cover, then penetrating oil down the bolt before removing.

Seek the replacements today before destroying the old. When you get the new ones, apply an antiseize compound to prevent this from happening again.

Its plain to see you operate in some watery conditions, and you must have need for anti seize elsewhere on your mower.

Hard to see, but it would appear as though they have been over tightened due to the stain of "pooling" water around wingnut on the right. This is not good. These wingnuts will flow water towards carb throat with capillary action......

Another item to consider is that these wingnuts may actually be "NUTS", and not long bolts. Meaning the bolts may be pressed into the carb and are sticking up for you to hold the cover into place wi the actual plastic wingnuts. (vs. "wingbolts"). Either way, you will need to remove plastic wings, to go further.

Can you say they are long bolts, or studs that erupt from the carb? You'd know if you have serviced it yourself, eh?

Why the service? Clean machines well first, then perform service......
        GEEVEE®, Pat.Pend. TM, UL

If you're gonna be dumb, you better be tough

Comment

I dont know if theyre pressed in or not. Id have to ask my dealer.

Ya thats what i thought i was up against,,, just wanted to hear it from someone else i guess. Never ever would have thought to anti seize them.Actually the only other place i use anti seize is the blade bolts. Nothing else has come up.

Not really proud of the dirty mowers right now,,, seems they aint been worth cleaning them here in Ohio for about a week. Its a mud pit here right now,,,, 3 more days to go. That mower was actually scrubbed up w/ degreaser about 10 days ago,,, they all look like that right now.

Thanks for the great information Gee Vee. Ill order the new wing nuts tomorrow.
          www.lawnbook.com
          www.lawnservicing.com

""POYMIT"

Comment

Sure,.

Spark plugs are a good place to put anti seize.

Better, if you are good to a mower, you may have to replace an exhaust once or twice. On the manifold stud or bolt is also recommended.

I know someone who uses it as the caster lube.....

Chain saw tensioning bolts

Places and equipment that might get used infrequently..... I keep a dab of it on the rim of a magnetic parts tray, where the fasteners wind up when I disassemble something.

Comment

Try using some WD40

Comment

Mike

That looks like a Lesco Twosome. I had a 54 inch deck that I let go with the accounts. The air breather on that model engine isn't worth a crap. The new versions have an updated pre breather on them. My mechanic changed out that Air filter the first week we had the mower. I suggest you also change out that filter system. Sorry my camera is broken or I would get a picture for you.

You can lead a donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass drink.

Comment

Peice of cake. Just cut off the old plastic and grab the little brass inserts w/ pliers just as planned. About 10 minutes. I cut all the big stuff off w/ a hacksaw and finished w/ a razor knife. Look closely you can see the inserts i removed under the new part.
                  www.lawnbook.com
                  www.lawnservicing.com

""POYMIT"

Comment

Trout

Congratulations, Only took you months to figure this one out and post an answer. You must be taking your smart pills.

You can lead a donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass drink.

Comment

This is my personal mower Mr. Ric. I have 2 of this caliber here at my residence. I aint stressin on a plastic bolt,,,trust me.
                      www.lawnbook.com
                      www.lawnservicing.com

""POYMIT"

Comment

I too, am curious as to why you dredged up this old post?

Comment

Originally posted by GeeVee
                          I too, am curious as to why you dredged up this old post?
                          Dont take much to get your gears grinding does it? Are you that easily distracted in general?
                          www.lawnbook.com
                          www.lawnservicing.com

""POYMIT"

Comment

Mike and Ric sound just like me and SodBlower... hatred runneth deep.

Comment

Originally posted by knowltondata
                              Mike and Ric sound just like me and SodBlower... hatred runneth deep.
                              I dont hate anybody. Hate is a wastefull emotion.
                              www.lawnbook.com
                              www.lawnservicing.com

""POYMIT"

Comment

Working...
                              X