Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Talk about cheap....

Just want to vent.....

I received a call from a lady today. She said she is looking for a price quote for lawn service. After hearing about her property, I give her an approx. price of $85/month; average for my area (S.W Florida). She tells me that she can get it cheaper than that! I asked her what she was quoted and she said $70/month. Gosh! $70/month? That's cheap! How/why would anyone give that kind of a price? After considering the cost of gas, insurance, advertising, equipment maint., etc.? How can one make money? But leaving that aside, why is she looking for less than $70/month? Has this business hit rock bottom or what? How sad...
    PNA
    1996 Ranger 3.0 pullin' 5'X11' Tandem Open Trailer
    Toro 44" ZTR Kawai 17 HP & Quick 36 SD Kawai 16 HP
    Stihl FS-80 Trimmers & Stihl FC-75 Edger
    Stihl Hand & Back Pack Blowers (BG-85 & BR 550)
    Stihl Chain & Pole Saws (MS250 & T-101)

"you get what you pay for" that line works for me alot with price scalper customers "would you rather have a guy uninsured, undependable, and of questionable means, or would you rather have a proffesional service, liscensed and insured, who will come automatically on set days to service your yard" then the $15 a month extra might not seem so bad

Comment

I take most of the comments like that from potential customers as hogwash, not fact. I think it is a life long learned behavior of how to get ahead without working hard, for most folks. You know, screw your way through life... I know people who have plenty of money but still operate that way. Partly why thay have the money I'm sure. I'd rather not have them as customers because they will always be pulling similar tricks out of their bag.

Comment

As soon as she said "I can get it cheaper than that", you should have said, "Okay, I hope all goes well......bye bye."

She's probably just a price shopper and no matter how good of a job you did, you would lose the account to the next guy bidding it $1.50 lower.

Not worth your time.
        a.k.a.---> Erich

www.avalawnlandscaping.com

Build a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.
        Set a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Comment

$17 a cut?

I hope that price suits her well when the company isn't showing up due to hot days and doing a crappy job when they DO get there.

Comment

I just hand them one of my cards and tell them when the other guy quits doing your lawn service call this number and I'll come by to re-estimate this job, this price is only good for 30 days. 7 out of 10 times they call that night wanting to know when I can cut thier lawn.
            Last edited by deltatech; 08-09-05, 06:33 PM. Reason: wasn't finished

Comment

Originally posted by PNA
              Just want to vent.....

I received a call from a lady today. She said she is looking for a price quote for lawn service. After hearing about her property, I give her an approx. price of $85/month; average for my area (S.W Florida). She tells me that she can get it cheaper than that! I asked her what she was quoted and she said $70/month. Gosh! $70/month? That's cheap! How/why would anyone give that kind of a price? After considering the cost of gas, insurance, advertising, equipment maint., etc.? How can one make money? But leaving that aside, why is she looking for less than $70/month? Has this business hit rock bottom or what? How sad...
              PNA

PNA

Welcome to S.W. Florida, God's Waiting Room for those who can afford to retire here. BTW how do you think they saved all that money over the years?

But the heck of it is if she shops around and not to hard, She will find some Scrub that will work his A$$ off for $ 45.00 a month. Our Northern counter parts can not appreciate the Low Ball competition that is in Florida. Even at $ 85 a month year round and 42 cuts a year they might think you are low balling. 85 x 12 / 42 = $ 24.39 But in fact that is about all competition will allow you to charge.

I will tell you one last time. Shrub trimming and plant replacement is the best way for you to break into landscaping and that is where the MONEY is.

BTW follow Erich's advice when dealing with phone shoppers. Be nice but don't spend alot of time with them.

You can lead a donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass drink.

Comment

ya gotta charge at the very least 25-30 bucks a cut

Comment

Working...
                X