Pressure Washer Question!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pressure Washer Question!!!

I was washing my motor home and a neighbor from down the block walking the dog asks if i could take a ride down and try cleaning his roof....

I throw the pressure washer in the back of the only vehicle available, and head down the street with guy, to a subdivision of homes approx guess of 90 X 50 wide homes with white slate tops completely covered with mildew and green slime.......

After a quick hook up to the water spicket ,i slice through the green slime like butter, and did about half the job... Then i said hell i`m wet anyway ,and just finished it off real quick....

I used my old home owner 3gpm- 2700 psi honda for this...

He now wants to know how much to paint... I figured about 20 gallons of roof white will do and i will replace about 5 cracked slates at most...

I told his $1200 and he said O.K put the paint on , he cant Waite to see what it will look like when it`s really white....

I went home called , checked on the paint price , and went back up to his place to make sure deal is set...

6 of his neighbors are staring at the glittering white non-slimed roof astonished at what was hiding under the green slime...

Now They want their roofs pressure washed and painted....Luckily guy #1 told them he was paying me a minimum of $1200 because i was unsure about the price of the paint but they didn't blink and i think they would even go higher....

I`m sure all the homes will need some slates replaced also but that is nothing...

Whats a fair price for a 5000 sq ft roof, cleaned painted and a few slates replaced.... 3 slates pr house at most....

I wanted erich to tell me how that HONDA 4ghm/ 3600 home depot model worked out, because i figure with the 7 houses and about 15 others, on the block that will also want the work done it is a good excuse to buy my new play toy and get some sun on my back...

SCOTT, GRASSMASTER, SOMEBODY with pressure washer knowledge....

Am i ripping them off without them knowing it, or is it a normal price????

I was amazed how easily the slime sliced off with my older unit ,and think this will be like a $500 pr hour job if they all clean like the first house....

I was amazed when i said ahhhh $1200 or so and he said lets do it...

Whats the going norm for pressure washed and painted pr sq foot????

Thanks if someone can chime in , TRANS....
    GOD BLESS AMERICA (MY HOME SWEET HOME ) !!!!!

- ahum : Kawi piston at full speed just before crank wipes out and rod shoots threw block

Tranny

My pressure washing day were too long ago to tell you todays rates. So I will pass. But tell you some other tricks I learned. BTW I am sure this is a neighborly thing and some nice cash money I believe you are going to be how surprised it can take off.

First Chemicals can make the job go a lot easier. Swimming pool Clorox with eat away Mildew (Black) under the algae real fast, but can also kill plants near the trailer. To apply it lightly to the point it doesn't run down into the ground is the trick. Let it dry in the sun to neutralize it. then come back the next day and rinse it off. BTW a good pump up DECK sprayer will hold up better than a regular one but both won't last.

Aluminum Siding will oxides and Oxalic acid will clean it nicely and not hurt the plants. Lesco sells it in a produce called Rust Erase and Home Cheapo Calls Rust away. You can cut it 4 to 1 and still get great results. You can buy it in powered form, cheaper off the net. It will make the oldest aluminum siding, down spouts etc look new. But it won't last. Therefore a good polymer wax type coating should be applied on a regular bases, say ever 6 months which is Reoccurring Revue . A 12V pesticide sprayer can work like an AIRLESS paint sprayer and do the job quick and easy. No over spray issues because it is clear.

Alot of Readers here don't understand how upscale a mobil home park can be. Or do they realize how neighborly they can be either. Your view and dock tells me you are in one of the better one. I sure if you wanted to, you could darn near make a living doing pressure cleaning in just your own park with out all the issues related to business.

BTW an Airless paint sprayer can be rented for roof painting. Over-spray becomes a problem as well as just experience in learning how to use one. Been there done that and they can be great pieces of equipment in the right hands. I suggest Rolling the paint for a thick coverage and better job.

You can lead a donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass drink.

Comment

Just back from the pros....

Originally posted by Ric
      Tranny

My pressure washing day were too long ago to tell you todays rates. So I will pass. But tell you some other tricks I learned. BTW I am sure this is a neighborly thing and some nice cash money I believe you are going to be how surprised it can take off.

First Chemicals can make the job go a lot easier. Swimming pool Clorox with eat away Mildew (Black) under the algae real fast, but can also kill plants near the trailer. To apply it lightly to the point it doesn't run down into the ground is the trick. Let it dry in the sun to neutralize it. then come back the next day and rinse it off. BTW a good pump up DECK sprayer will hold up better than a regular one but both won't last.

Aluminum Siding will oxides and Oxalic acid will clean it nicely and not hurt the plants. Lesco sells it in a produce called Rust Erase and Home Cheapo Calls Rust away. You can cut it 4 to 1 and still get great results. You can buy it in powered form, cheaper off the net. It will make the oldest aluminum siding, down spouts etc look new. But it won't last. Therefore a good polymer wax type coating should be applied on a regular bases, say ever 6 months which is Reoccurring Revue . A 12V pesticide sprayer can work like an AIRLESS paint sprayer and do the job quick and easy. No over spray issues because it is clear.

Alot of Readers here don't understand how upscale a mobil home park can be. Or do they realize how neighborly they can be either. Your view and dock tells me you are in one of the better one. I sure if you wanted to, you could darn near make a living doing pressure cleaning in just your own park with out all the issues related to business.

BTW an Airless paint sprayer can be rented for roof painting. Over-spray becomes a problem as well as just experience in learning how to use one. Been there done that and they can be great pieces of equipment in the right hands. I suggest Rolling the paint for a thick coverage and better job.
      UPDATE:

"Thank god " a bell went ding-ding, and i remembered the dude i sold my old Harley too was in the pressure washing business....

I drove around the corner, down the street a mile or so, and we had a quick pow-wow, he`s got a giant operation, and is pretty slow at the moment ,and I just worked out a deal for me to set him up with the jobs because i knew the original guy well enough and he will vouch for me, and i for the pressure company...

The older dude who was walking the dog is happy that i found him a reliable professional cleaning company ,and being head honcho of that area he lays down the law...

Must be good money in it because I'm walking away with a nice cut... He`s wrote me out a check for setting up the work, and i didn't have to do anything else, but go back to cleaning my motor home ,and putting it back in my fenced in yard later on...

Had to change the wet clothes though, but it was well worth the bucks....

For what he paid me to give him the work does lead me to believe this is a mega money making scheme... Now he wants me to be a salesman for his operation ,but i said no way unless something drops right into my lap just like that... If he wants to pay i`ll send it to him...

I`ll check this out real good , research it thoroughly, and go from there....

If i get into this i noticed he uses all vans pulling trailers with water tanks mounted right on them....

Pick-up trucks in a pressure washing buss would probably look scrubish, and detrimental to a pressure washing business....

Well i`m out to the bank, talk to ya later ric, and maybe you should head up my way and we can clean up in the pressure washing gig....

NOW every house i look at looks disgusting ,and i never noticed it before...

TRANS..................

- ahum : Kawi piston at full speed just before crank wipes out and rod shoots threw block

Comment

Ric's got it.
        the roof would run in the area of $500-$750 and pool chlorine is the norm or cheaper way to clean but I would rinse before it got a chance to dry and if you need a 2nd application, it's cheap enough and easy enough to do.
        Here's how the boys in florida clean a roof;
        - water down the plants and surrounding grass
        - buy a 3gpm shurflo for under $100 with viton seals or buy a pumpup or shoot it strong through your pw'er
        - let dwell for 10-15, rinse with water hose, if 2nd app is needed press on.
        - change your slates, seal if needed
        - apply a preventer if needed/requested or upsold
        - water down plants and surrounding areas again
        - get paid!
        all that and you most likely wouldn't even have to get on the roof if you're geared up properly
        the replacement of the slate would be extra along with the painting,,, I'm at a lose with the painting since I despise painting but I'll stain a deck,, go figure.
        If you feel that you must burn our flag, please wrap yourself in it first.

Comment

Good for you Trans! Some of the good you do for others is coming back around. Glad to hear it.

Comment

Scott

Full size homes and Mobil's can been done a little different. Tile roofs become a big factor here in Florida. To go into business full time would mean severing a lot of different type jobs. I geared my reply to Mobil Home parks. BTW one of the more profitable areas. I believe a resident could make some nice pin money, just doing their neighbors. I guess I also looked at Tranny question as a part time thing that he could work taking several days to do each home by applying chemical one day and coming back the next to rinse them off. This requires less chemicals but more travel. But in his case he is only going next door per-say. But Tranny has a good business and found a nice out to the Pressure washing thing.

BTW I have seen guys cover shrubs with tarps when doing pressure washing. Still I see lawns and other plants get stunted my the chemicals. I believe low volume application of Chemicals is the best way to go. But I haven't done pressure washing in a Long time and may be behind times in it.

Comment

Hey Ric... WOOD OR TIN????

Originally posted by Ric
              Tranny

Hey Ric , i know some of those pictures pulled off the camcorder suck , but did you think that house is a trailer or in a trailer park????

I had a camping trailer in the driveway but the home behind it is valued at something like 500K i believe...

Actually the guy down the street got 600 k on the water and anything across the street that doesnt have your private dock side accommotations are selling for about 350 k....

There all made of wood, and construction of the middle 80`s but i`V never heard anyone compare them to trailers, or it being a trailer park....

The boat lift alone cost more then most peoples trailers and i put concrete footers down from my old days working as a sand-hog....

My dock was about the only one that didnt pull away...

Maybe when you saw the side porch/ screened enclosure, you assumed tha place was a tin box....

Sincerely,Trans........

Comment

I`m not feeling exactly holy on that one H.B

Originally posted by hardboiled
                Good for you Trans! Some of the good you do for others is coming back around. Glad to hear it.
                I did take a nice cut of the money ,and might still end up getting the paint job if i want, because the pressure washer dude doesn't really like to paint....

What i did by driving down the road ,and making a 20 minute contact provided me with enough extra pocket change, "never missing the money" to buy that" BIG DADDY" unit(PRESSURE WASHER) that Erich bought ,so i was hoping to hear what he thinks about it.....

I was going to go right to the bank ,and cash the check, and make a trade at home depot or Lowe's.....

Until i hear Erich's experience with his i will let the money, sit in the bank....

Everybody's happy though but i didn't really do anything charitable today, but thanks for keeping god checking in on me....

Comment

Bought a new commercial pressure washer today. Honda w/industrial crankshaft, highest pressure, massive cleaning units plus thermal relief valve. 13 h.p machinery certified by PWMA and blow-out priced $899 Ya gotta like that.
                  Sodbuster®
                  Environmental Horticulturist
                  CPA

Nobody knows the ground rules of landscaping like Sodbuster®. I should. I wrote them.™

Comment

Originally posted by TRANSMAN
                    Hey Ric , i know some of those pictures pulled off the camcorder suck , but did you think that house is a trailer or in a trailer park????

I had a camping trailer in the driveway but the home behind it is valued at something like 500K i believe...

Actually the guy down the street got 600 k on the water and anything across the street that doesnt have your private dock side accommotations are selling for about 350 k....

There all made of wood, and construction of the middle 80`s but i`V never heard anyone compare them to trailers, or it being a trailer park....

The boat lift alone cost more then most peoples trailers and i put concrete footers down from my old days working as a sand-hog....

My dock was about the only one that didnt pull away...

Maybe when you saw the side porch/ screened enclosure, you assumed tha place was a tin box....

Sincerely,Trans........
                    OOPS

Sorry about That No this picture really shows the differences. The Camper in the driveway threw Me. I was rather surprised of the view for a Mobil Home park.

BTW You might just want re-check the true value or selling price of your home. I think under current market conditions you may be rather low. The Dock and Land alone are worth more than the house I believe. You wouldn't believe how they are bull dozing homes here for the water front. Since all this Manatee stuff Docks are now a premium also.

Just talking about this since the Hurricane, how prices have gone through the roof. Cost of living is way up also, yet the wage slave is still stuck at the same level. His net worth has increased because of his home, but he doesn't have the money to buy Groceries. The Trickle down effect has the common man up in arms.

Comment

Aint ya gonna tell..........

Originally posted by SodBuster
                      Bought a new commercial pressure washer today. Honda w/industrial crankshaft, highest pressure, massive cleaning units plus thermal relief valve. 13 h.p machinery certified by PWMA and blow-out priced $899 Ya gotta like that.
                      Us/ me where you bought it Sod????

I need erichs, or probably scoots answer on this question, but dont they all (The BIG 13 HP HONDA UNITS) have the thermal relief, and what is the industrial crankshaft have that the normal hondas dont????

I diddny no there was a diferance.??? EXTRA , EXTRA HEAVY DUTY!!!

Comment

i used just bleach at my house for years and then went and bought this stuff at a pressure washer store called THE BROWN STUFF. you mix it one part to three parts commercial bleach. what a difference this stuff makes on siding and gutters. i just do my own stuff. no fancy washer or nothing.i have the best that sears had to offer. xmas present from my wife a few years ago.go for it transman but do your homework on insurance and stuff like that. here in va. it is new rules compared to the green industry.

steve
                        "THE BADDEST LAWN APE ON THE PLANET"

Comment

Right on !!!!

Originally posted by Ric
                          OOPS

Sorry about That No this picture really shows the differences. The Camper in the driveway threw Me. I was rather surprised of the view for a Mobil Home park.

BTW You might just want re-check the true value or selling price of your home. I think under current market conditions you may be rather low. The Dock and Land alone are worth more than the house I believe. You wouldn't believe how they are bull dozing homes here for the water front. Since all this Manatee stuff Docks are now a premium also.

Just talking about this since the Hurricane, how prices have gone through the roof. Cost of living is way up also, yet the wage slave is still stuck at the same level. His net worth has increased because of his home, but he doesn't have the money to buy Groceries. The Trickle down effect has the common man up in arms.
                          Exactly ric i was playing very conservative with the numbers because certain people will accuse me of bragging....

It is cool to sit out on the dock and watch the manatees and porpoise's swim right under my feet... When my brows kids come down they always try feeding lettuce to the mammals and someday will get me thrown in jail...

Their bulldozing a big area under the bridge over near me ,and forcing out the people living in their trailers for 80 yrs to make room for another mini -mall or something.... Nice little island that the people lived without a worry in the world ,and now some hot shot came along ,and throws them to the wolves...

My wife keeps up about this but it makes me sick to watch ,and hear about it.... The people literally have no-where to go after 50 years and nobody cares.....

Life can definitely be unfair...TRANS.........

Comment

That'd be one them "early" manufacturd home Planned unit developments......

Roof cleaning is very big here, as you've discovered.

Young guy worked for me as a foreman for four years and then asked me to start cutting back his hours so he could go out on his own. Mowing and maint ina town neraby where he had moved. Other than commercial, I wasn't taking any resi there.... I was not wanting to lose him, but knew it was inevitable, he had the spirit and I had taught him everything.

Quickly he went into the Roof cleaning and light tree trimming scheme. Really, he had trimmed his own trees over hanging his own mobile home roof so he could clean it.

KAPOW- loads of work. I loaned him a powerpruner that weekend to do his. Comes in on Monday and offers to knock off early to make the run to Port Orange Mower center for the edger blades we ordered.....

Tuesday he's got his new Power Pruner. I advanced him the dough for a 3200 psi and the rest is history. Worked seven more months for me, eventually working just the two days I really had to have him on soem tough commercial routes.

He rarely runs high pressure, wetting the roof with water from the ground, then backpacking some chems on, followed by pressure.

He got away from mowing before he even got started, the roof work was substantial. He now does a few days a week of repeat clients, trimming landscape and pressure washing only.

He has a Dodge Maxi Van, no need for a trailer, CHEAP license and ins, and a gross/net that is very very good. He COULD work 24/7. He could have more than five crews..... He lives cheaply and has all he wants....

If I was doing it it would be a STEP VAN......
                            GEEVEE®, Pat.Pend. TM, UL

If you're gonna be dumb, you better be tough

Comment

Their bulldozing a big area under the bridge over near me ,and forcing out the people living in their trailers for 80 yrs to make room for another mini -mall or something.... Nice little island that the people lived without a worry in the world ,and now some hot shot came along ,and throws them to the wolves...

You that close to Seabird Island?

It is true, that price of progress.
                              GEEVEE®, Pat.Pend. TM, UL

If you're gonna be dumb, you better be tough

Comment

Working...
                              X