Snow Removal Help Needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Snow Removal Help Needed

Looking for some advise on snow removal...please.

I am looking to concentrate on residential and small commercial (like strip store parking lots).

I got a call from one of my commercial accts that i have a mowing contract with and she wants pricing for snow removal and salting. I lost out on a commercial account this spring to a company that did mowing and snow removal......customer wanted a single source company i.e. company to do both mowing and snow removal. I don't want to lose any customers next year to a company that does both mowing and snow removal. Not to mention, snow removal would give me some income in winter months.

I do not want to get into snow plows....yet....and i think her lot is small enough to do with commercial snow blower. The lot serves 3 stores on a small strip. Approximately 18 parking spots.....maybe 90' x 45'.....and really too tight to get a plow in there anyway. There is also sidewalk areas.

Some questions I have and really need experienced opinions on:

1) What type of snow blower would you recommend for this type of situation? (Toro Commande??)
    2) How would you estimate the time required to blow lot? (i.e do you have a #minutes per 1,000 sf formula)
    3) What is a reasonable rate to charge per 1,000 sf
    4) Pricing on salt per 1,000 sf?
    5) Can i spread salt with a rotary spreader?
    6) I have seen some pricing structures recommended on here based on depth of snow fall...makes a lot of sense.....can you make recommendations there.
    7) In event of prolonged storm....for my area this might be a 12-24 hour snowstorm with over 12" snow.....how I would i handle that from a logistical standpoint. i.e. clear lot after first 4" and then go back every 3-4 additional inches??? (these storms are relatively rare in maryland)
    8) There is a walkway right in front of stores and cars park head-in there.....so i am assuming i would have to shovel that if during business hours because i can't blow snow onto peoples cars? How about pricing per 1,000 sq ft for shoveling?
    9) Liability if i am clearing walks? Can someone sue me if they fall on sidewalk?
    10) Do you have a sample of one of your contracts for wording of the service?

This is a lot of questions and any help is very much appreciated!

Thanks!
    Mike

Hey Mike check out Plow Site You could spend hours reading.
    The guys on here have been really helpful so far.

Edited by Administrator,
    No links or forum names are allowed to similar forums, I will leave the forum name up this time!
    Paul Cash-
    Green Pastures Lawn Care
    Jefferson, Lewis, & St Lawrence Cty NY

Comment

Working...
    X