Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Getting into the snow removal business...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting into the snow removal business...

Some customers have asked if I offer snow removal during the winter. I told them I could probably handle it for them. I only have 11 customers and now I have 6 of them wanting their snow removed by me! I haven't approached the other 5 yet. I am only in this business part-time and do most my work on the weekends. I know snow removal is different though, needing to be done when it snows. I work a fulltime job M-F 8-5, so I can only do snow removal early morning and late at night. Will this work out ok? Also should I purchase a snow blower, or should I just stick with using a snow shovel for the drives I'll be doing? How much should I charge?

You can do it this way, just make sure you let the customer know of your situation and that you will only be able to clear snow before 8 and after 5. This is usually the time they want it done anyway so should be no problem.

I would definately suggest a snowblower (shoveling will wear you out quick).
    On that thought why not think about a plow so you wouldn't have to get out of the truck in the weather.
    Paul Cash-
    Green Pastures Lawn Care
    Jefferson, Lewis, & St Lawrence Cty NY

Comment

I do not think a plow setup is within my budget. I was planning on visiting my dealer and see what snowblowers they have. Does anyone have a recommended favorite? My dealer has Toro and Snapper. How much should I be charging? For mowing I make around $40 per hour, so should I shoot for the same for snow removal, or aim a bit higher since lots of snow is considered incliment weather? One last thing, do I need special insurance just for residental snow removal?

Comment

Anyone? Anyone?

Comment

Use a light weight single stage snow blower.

Like THis One

Or This One

Using a 3650 in a residential neighborhood, with fairly modern houses (nice, newer concrete sidewalks and drives), you can make a bundle of money. Especially if you live somewhere that lake effect snow is a constant reality (like I do). How much money? A nice route with closely placed customers can easily yield more than $100.00 an hour. Yes, you read that right.

Woody
          Woody

"Those willing to give up a little liberty for a little security deserve neither security nor liberty." ---Benjamin Franklin

"This country, with its institutions, belongs to the people who inhabit it. Whenever they shall grow weary of the existing Government, they can exercise their constitutional right of amending it, or their revolutionary right to dismember or overthrow it." ---Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Im going into the dealer tomorrow to buy the 3650. Now I just hope it snows a lot this winter! Thanks for your recommendation.

Comment

There is a knack to using this machine. When it is started lift up on the handle. This will allow the rubber blade to propel it along the pathway and clean to the surface. If you lift too high it may leave black marks on a white pathway, but you will soon learn the proper lift that you need.

Dave

Comment

Yes indeed! Just as Dave said!!

We had an ice storm 2 years ago that put ice down on the bare concrete, then it snowed on top of that about 4-6 inches. Lifting the handle allowed me to literally "ski" behind the unit (my feet were on the now cleared ice that covered everything). I was moving along so fast that the postal carrier nearly fell over laughing. I have to admit, it probably looked pretty funny. They were my own walks I was clearing, so I did a lot of experimenting to find the right technique.

Since the advent of downhill shovel racing (I am not kidding), I can already see this thread evolving into a full blown sport. Single-stage snowblower racing, conducted on a sheet of ice. Just remember, you saw it here first!

Woody
                Single Stage Snowblower Racing Inventor & World Champion 2 Stroke Stock Class
                The Man To Beat In 2006! See You On The Ice!
                Woody

"Those willing to give up a little liberty for a little security deserve neither security nor liberty." ---Benjamin Franklin

"This country, with its institutions, belongs to the people who inhabit it. Whenever they shall grow weary of the existing Government, they can exercise their constitutional right of amending it, or their revolutionary right to dismember or overthrow it." ---Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Are you sure Jack D. was not the one to invent this idea? He invents everything else!
                  A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, "Damn...that was fun!

Comment

Snow for special events and makes sure to make your event more enjoyable. We are a full service event company that can handle all the ice logistics for an event like golf tournaments, concerts, fairs, festivals, etc.

Snow For SpecialEvents

Comment

Snow removal businesses are seasonal in most areas of the U.S., but the high season brings in consistent an demand-able. It can be as simple as a earning money on the weekends.A Customer can easily yield more than $100/hour.

Comment

You can do it thusly, simply ensure you let the client know about your circumstance and that you may have the option to clear snow before 8 and after 5. This is typically the time they need it done in any case so ought to be no issue.

I would definately recommend a commercial removals (scooping will destroy you speedy).

On that considered a furrow so you wouldn't need to escape the truck in the climate.

Comment

Working...
                        X