changing out hydro fluid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• changing out hydro fluid

I need to change the hydro fluid on my mower and was wondering what the process is for "bleeding" the lines and if this is necessary. I probably will take it in for this service if its too complicated. The place I used to work at when I had a regular job would just change the fluid and filter every 500 hours and never "bled" the lines. I don't remember ever having any problems with the mowers doing it this way, but we always traded them around 1000 hrs.

on my toro I lift the rear wheels off the ground and run it at a low speed until all of the air is purged from the system. I also find that it helps if you make sure the filter is full with fresh oil when you install it. (providing it sits upright on your machine)

hope this helps

Comment

What parkside said. On my tracers, fill hydro filter when changing it. Run around 10-15 minutes with rear wheels in the air, usually works any air out.
      Conan, what is best in life? To crush the Democrats, to see them driven before me, and to hear the lamentation of the liberals.

Comment

Same here and it works fine on my tiger cub

Comment

Although I can't quite picture in my mind why that technique works I'll definetely take your word on it and do it. Thanks gentlemen.

Comment

You don't even have to jack it up....

But you should attempt to prefill the filter, just to get the element wet. Don't be in a hurry.
            GEEVEE®, Pat.Pend. TM, UL

If you're gonna be dumb, you better be tough

Comment

If I don't jack it up how can I run it for 10 minutes with the wheels in the air? Or are you saying this step isnt' necessary? Thanks

Comment

The reason to jack the rear of the machine up is so there is no load or pressure on the wheels when you move the sticks forward and reverse to work the air out of the system. Its alot easier on the pumps and wheel motors.

wayne

Comment

Originally posted by GeeVee
                  You don't even have to jack it up....

But you should attempt to prefill the filter, just to get the element wet. Don't be in a hurry.
                  True. You can disengage the drive.
                  Conan, what is best in life? To crush the Democrats, to see them driven before me, and to hear the lamentation of the liberals.

Comment

The wheel motors won't have any air in them.

Running the motor will fill the pumps, which likely haven't got any air in them either.

The pump will be pressurized and purge air back to the resevoir on its own.
                    GEEVEE®, Pat.Pend. TM, UL

If you're gonna be dumb, you better be tough

Comment

Why does the oil have to be changed in the first place?

It's not like it's tainted with byproducts of combustion in a 4 cycle crankcase.

If the filter gets all/most the metal why throw out the hydro oil?

lorenzo piedra revolutionizing the commercial grounds maintenance industry since 1987*

"if you tremble with indignation at every injustice then you are a comrade of mine"

Comment

Originally posted by lorenzo piedra
                        Why does the oil have to be changed in the first place?

It's not like it's tainted with byproducts of combustion in a 4 cycle crankcase.

If the filter gets all/most the metal why throw out the hydro oil?
                        In the case of exmark, where the hydro filter is mounted nearly directly below the reservoir, when you pull the filter, the rest of the 15-50 comes with it. I usually have to add a quart or more to finish filling it.

Comment

Just finished changing both of my unit's oil and filters. I use a plastic hand pump like you would use to fill a kerosene heater with to empty the oil reservoir before removing the filter, saves making a big mess on the shop floor and you can keep the old oil if you wishfor reuse.

I like to replace the oil in our units at 500hrs as we some times operate in dusty conditions and fresh oil "flushes" the system.

Comment

Upon further review of my owners manual it instructs me to do the same thing as you guys recommended. Thanks for the advise. I was thinking it would be more complicated like bleeding the brakes on a car. By the way, I was only able to get about a quart or so out doing it this way, but thats what the manual said would happen.

Comment

Does Mr.LLee have a petrolium based or synthetic sized resevoir ?

Comment

Working...
                              X