grass seed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• grass seed

Since it's about that time...Where does everyone get their seed and how much are they paying for it?

Honestly, last year the only place I've ever bought it was home depot. But this year I have so many yards and so much seeding to do that I'm trying to find high quality seed at lower prices. Scotts 50lb bag at my local HD is $80! Lesco transitions is about 60. Seems a bit high to me.

#50 rye fescue mix $44.00 @ tractor supply here

Comment

Wertzler (I think that's the name of the company) off of Diamond Springs Rd sells better grass seed than HD and should be a little cheaper. I think the actual road is Ward in the industral park.

Comment

Lesco at the Lesco dealer is about 45-50 for 50 lbs of quality fescue. John Deere also has similar rates but I don't use their products much since Lesco is 5 minutes from my home.

Comment

http://www.lebanonturf.com/
          Conan, what is best in life? To crush the Democrats, to see them driven before me, and to hear the lamentation of the liberals.

Comment

If you guys are serious about distinguishing yourselves from every other "lawn boy" out there, you had better find a REAL seed store!

I deal with a genuine seed store. All of my mixes and blends are CUSTOM COMPOUNDED. I determine (using all of the NTEP data) what I want to see in a yard (based on soil, sun and shade conditions, drainage, etc.), and the local seed company will blend it to my specs, bag it for me, and even put "Custom Manufactured for Woody's Company" right on the bag. All of this service, and I pay LESS than you would for an off-the-shelf mix from Lesco.

Now, you don't have to go THAT far to get a quality product. That same seed company has their own blends and mixes as well, ALL of which are outstanding. I can grab those off-the-shelf and I KNOW how they will perform.

Seriously, look for a genuine SEED company if you can find one. Their advice and knowledge will make Lesco look like a bunch of rookies.
            Woody

"Those willing to give up a little liberty for a little security deserve neither security nor liberty." ---Benjamin Franklin

"This country, with its institutions, belongs to the people who inhabit it. Whenever they shall grow weary of the existing Government, they can exercise their constitutional right of amending it, or their revolutionary right to dismember or overthrow it." ---Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by Woody
              If you guys are serious about distinguishing yourselves from every other "lawn boy" out there, you had better find a REAL seed store!

I deal with a genuine seed store. All of my mixes and blends are CUSTOM COMPOUNDED. I determine (using all of the NTEP data) what I want to see in a yard (based on soil, sun and shade conditions, drainage, etc.), and the local seed company will blend it to my specs, bag it for me, and even put "Custom Manufactured for Woody's Company" right on the bag. All of this service, and I pay LESS than you would for an off-the-shelf mix from Lesco.

Now, you don't have to go THAT far to get a quality product. That same seed company has their own blends and mixes as well, ALL of which are outstanding. I can grab those off-the-shelf and I KNOW how they will perform.

Seriously, look for a genuine SEED company if you can find one. Their advice and knowledge will make Lesco look like a bunch of rookies.
              And what seed company would this be that you do business with?
              Conan, what is best in life? To crush the Democrats, to see them driven before me, and to hear the lamentation of the liberals.

Comment

It is a local, one location operation. They have no website, have been around for over 50 years, are family run, and are one of maybe 3 companies in the entire state that can supply grass seed for Ohio Department Of Transportation projects. They carry just about every cultivar (cool season) in the top 20 or so in the NTEP. When I walk in the door they look up and say "Hi Woody! Your order is ready!" or "Hi Woody! I haven't seen an order pending for you. What's the new project?" They are outstanding people, ask a ton of questions about each project, recommend anything new they might have, offer up advice, and are just all around a GREAT place to deal with.

I can get cultivars from Lebanon, Pennington, you name it. Plus, they tell me things no one else would. Say I order up a custom mix. They might say something like "Woody, that Nu Glade is from last year, and only has a germination rate of 72%. If you can wait a week, we'll have a batch in from this year, and its germination was measured at 96%."

Look locally. There has to be something similar in your neighborhood.
                Woody

"Those willing to give up a little liberty for a little security deserve neither security nor liberty." ---Benjamin Franklin

"This country, with its institutions, belongs to the people who inhabit it. Whenever they shall grow weary of the existing Government, they can exercise their constitutional right of amending it, or their revolutionary right to dismember or overthrow it." ---Abraham Lincoln

Comment

I would say that over 90% of the companies (large corps. and small sp's) in my area use lesco and get it directly from them. I'm quite sure this is our best option and definetely better than home depot. We seem to have some pretty nice stands of turf so I guess what they sell works just fine.

Comment

LLee:

While you say Lesco is "definitely better than Home Depot", are you aware that Home Depot SELLS Lesco brand grass seed?

Lesco blends and mixes will work. They are just FAR from being top-notch. For those who don't pay any attention to the NTEP trials, or are unable to properly interpret the results, Lesco will work jsut fine. Now if you are designing a top notch lawn and wish to address some problems by selecting the cultivars, the Lesco products will be worthless to you.

To me, Lesco is just pretty much the "Home Depot" of the green industry. They are based just up the road from me, and there are plenty of stores around, so I will use them from time to time. I was just REAL disappointed to see their grass seed for sale in Home Depot. Let's face it, Home Depot doesn't sell top of the line ANYTHING.
                    Woody

Comment

My reference to home depot was a cost matter as the the same $60 bag of lesco seed there is $46.50 at the lesco dealer. I wasn't arguing with you, I was just informing the orginal poster that there was another option that was more cost effective and that the results would be just fine. I am not aware of any "genuine seed stores" in my area so I guess we're all stuck with these beautiful lesco lawns that we cut once a week for 40 weeks in our area.

Comment

Working...
                      X