Help me identify this Great Dane

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help me identify this Great Dane

Hello. Long time lurker, first time poster. I had to register to post! Anyway, I just bought a used
    Great Dane with a 52" deck. It's like a surfer since you have to stand up on it and ride around. I
    really want to find out what model it is so I can obtain the proper manuals for it as well as parts
    when necessary. There is a badge on the deck that is riveted on that has a model number and serial
    number, but since I can't find anything about that model, I'm thinking that perhaps that particular
    badge is for the deck only. Anyway, the model on that badge on the deck says the model is GDSM52. I
    have some pictures that hopefully some of you would be willing to look at and tell me if you
    recognize the model so I can get the right manual. It has a Kohler engine. Anyway, here's a picture
    of the front. Here's a picture of the model and serial badge on the deck. Here's a picture of the
    control panel. Here's a picture of the back. Here's a picture of the engine.

Lastly, until I find the right manuals, I would like to find out how to drop the deck to a lower
    position. It looks like the pin is on the last hole that adjusts the height in the front, but there
    is a one spacer that looks like it could be taken out that will drop it a bit. So far, so good. But
    what about lowering the back of the deck? Or does this unit automatically adjust the back to wherever
    the front is? Any and all help appreciated.

If you have read this far, I guess I can tell you a bit more about the machine. I originally was
    going to buy a used commercial Encore Z48. They just had replaced a pump, but when I demo'ed it, it
    pulled to the right quite a bit at full speed. They adjusted and adjusted and couldn't get it right
    and said that they wouldn't feel right about selling it to me for fear that the other pump was so
    weak now that it may have to be replaced. They had one other used mower that orginally was $1,000
    more than the Encore, and it is the Great Dane I bought. They lowered the price to what I was going
    to pay for the Encore. I paid $2,900. It's a rental place, which would normally scare me. However,
    this place rents only two mowers. This Great Dane, and a Grasshopper. Basically, for rentals, the
    Great Dane is a no good. The customer sees that you have to stand up and they all want the
    Grasshopper. Looking at their records, the Grasshopper brought them $5,000 in the last year, and the
    Great Dane only went out once. They bought it new, and it hasn't even paid for itself. So I believe
    they really wanted to unload it and free up some cash. There's no hour gauge on this unit. Don't know
    if they removed it, or if it didn't come with one. Don't know it's age. It runs well and so far I'm
    satisfied with it. It's a tank! So, that's the story.

Don Pendergraft

i used to run the same model a couple of years ago, and i think that its just a regular surfer, not a super surfer, but to this day i'm still not 100% sure.
    on another note i do still have an extra front tire for that model that i have never used if you should ever need one

Comment

Doh! I found it!

I was working on the deck and got low and just happened to notice a badge with model number and serial number on it located on the mower underneath the bracket that holds the battery. If you are standing, it's hidden, but pretty obvious really when squatting. Can't believe I missed it.

Oh, the model is GDSZ18KHE.

Don Pendergraft

Comment

Comment

I have one just like that, only no electric start. I love it. I think you can get an owners manual from Great Dane's website. Not much in it though. Mine is only 7 pages front to back. If you need any info out of it let me know and maybe I can scan some pages for you.

Dave
          davewatkins3@netzero.net
          Dave

Dodge
          Toro
          Echo
          Lund
          Yamaha
          Bud light

These are a few of my favorite things

Comment

Working...