Christmas Lighting in Indiana

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Christmas Lighting in Indiana

How many guys are doing Christmas Lighting this year? I want to keep my guys working as long as possible and thought this might extend the year a bit longer. What do you think? Dose anyone know a good distributor in IN? Thanks
    bt

John Deere landscapes puts on seminars. They sale great lights also.

Ron

Comment

Ron,
      Do you mean all the local John Deer Dealers are doing this? Or is this a Landscape company in Anderson? Thanks for the help.
      bt

Comment

All of the ones down our way offer the seminars. The one I go to in Indy and the one in Noblesville put them on. We do a lot of different things with them such as automation, sequencing, etc. This can lead to other automation projects like regular outside landscape lights, etc.

Ron

Comment

Originally posted by FreeRadical 45
          All of the ones down our way offer the seminars. The one I go to in Indy and the one in Noblesville put them on. We do a lot of different things with them such as automation, sequencing, etc. This can lead to other automation projects like regular outside landscape lights, etc.

Ron
          THanks for the heads up on this. I will call tomarrow! What adv. has worked best for you? I have 2000 door hangers coming in on Monday.
          Thanks,
          bt

Comment

We direct mail all of our regular customers. Look at your higher end neighborhoods and direct mail the zip code. Most of those areas have the revenue and do not have the time or don't want to put the effort into the work. They are willing to pay for this service just like any other industry job.

What you need to look at is the initial sale the first year, including installation. Then sale them a 3-5 year contract that includes installation and take down. Most of the high end equipment is good for a minimum of 3 years and will last 5 years or more.

These gigs can be worth anywhere from 2-10K depending on the size of the home and property. Christmas is one of the most sentimental times of the year, family gatherings, memories, etc, and people are willing to invest in that esperience.

This part of the industry is and has exploded over the past several years.

Ron

Comment

Ron,
              Great information,
              I just contacted our local JD landscape dealer in my area today. They are sending me the dates on Sem. Looks like thier in Indy. I'm going to stop by thier location to look at thier lights and more. I like the idea of a 3-5 year contract.
              I just picked up my door hangers today and have gotten a really good responce from the people I have talked to so far. It looks like I have very little comp. in my area. Do you do mostly high end jobs are do you do smaller jobs for the elderly? Or do you have a min. hourly per job cost. Example, you wont touch a job for under $300.00(6 man hours) install and $300.00 removal.
              Durring removal, how do you package/store the light for storage? I was thinking of purchasing the plastic tubs with lids for the customers. Thanks for the help.
              bt

Comment

BT

It all depends on if it is profitable or not. Don't limit yourself to a minimum. You can look at grouping several small accounts in a area if possible and achieve the same as doing a large account. You will obviously need to schedule this service just like any other LCO service, the less window time the better for you.

Remember too, there is a thing called Karma, don't hesitate to help out someone, especially the elderly. I'm not saying give your service away, but reputation and respect goes a long way in this business. You will find that a lot of older folks just can't afford a lot, you may want to sale the lights and offer to hang a small job for someone labor free the first year in return for the long term contract. Example: say you sale $1500 worth of lights, your profit margin on the lights is 40%-60% depending on your mark up. It takes you 3 hours to hang, you still make $600-$900 for a 3 hour job. Get the contract for the labor for 5 years on take down and install, and you have made good margins.

As far as storage, the plastic boxes are a good method, but you will want to meake sure you do not just throw them in there. Try to wrap them so when it is to to restring next year you are not dealing with unwraveling a mess.

Don't hesitate to offer this service to any commercial accounts you may have as well. Although this is a relativly untapped market, explore all of your options.

Ron

Comment

I agree, I would be happy to help elderly people with this service. I do think you right when it comes to carma. How do you do the contract on multipul year instal and take downs? Just like a lawn contract and charge on completion? And what do you write into the contract for increase on labor cost if any? Thank

Brian

Comment

Ron,
                    I tried to send you a privite message.... box is full

Comment

Working...
                    X