Which one to buy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which one to buy?

Budget is around $1000 but I always like to spend less.

Not going to use that extensively, primarily for cleaning tools and some limited black top and side walks. Limited, but I use PWs a lot!

I like the commercial 13 HP Honda engine. I do not like cheap parts breaking on a pump, however, I would replace before I rebuild a pump.

Any recommendations?

Thanks!!
    Incitatus for the US Senate !

I was looking at the costco 13 HP Honds at 4000 PSI and 3.7 GMP-any comments?

Comment

that's about your best bet for the money or the one at HD/Lowes. You just washing your equipment? If you're planning on doing anysurface cleaning, expect to spend at least another 2k on equipment.
      If you feel that you must burn our flag, please wrap yourself in it first.

Comment

Buster, Lowes has one with the 13hp Honda. It's pretty much right at your price range. I bought one last year with advice from Scott, GrassMaster and maybe others. It's marked as a Troybuilt, but from my reading, Troybuilt just slaps their name on it and the unit is also sold under a couple different names as well.

It's a pretty good unit but I did have one little washer rip on the wand pretty fast (like after a few hours use. That could have been user error though.

More power than what I could use probably. I guess it's always good to have more than less when it comes to pressure washers though. At least that's what Scott and GrassMaster always say.
        a.k.a.---> Erich

www.avalawnlandscaping.com

Build a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.
        Set a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Comment

I ended up getting a DeWalt from Home Depot. It has a commercial Honda 6.5 HP engine with a Cat pump. It will be good for cleaning stuff and light duty surface cleaning. List price was $700 and I got it for $450.
          Thanks!

Comment

Buster: LOL! I hope it works out well for you. SOunds like you got a deal. But personally, I wouldn't attempt any surface cleaning (such as concrete) without a 4 to 5 GPM hot water unit. Even better would be an 8 GPM hot water unit.
            Woody

"Those willing to give up a little liberty for a little security deserve neither security nor liberty." ---Benjamin Franklin

"This country, with its institutions, belongs to the people who inhabit it. Whenever they shall grow weary of the existing Government, they can exercise their constitutional right of amending it, or their revolutionary right to dismember or overthrow it." ---Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by Woody
              Buster: LOL! I hope it works out well for you. SOunds like you got a deal. But personally, I wouldn't attempt any surface cleaning (such as concrete) without a 4 to 5 GPM hot water unit. Even better would be an 8 GPM hot water unit.

I do that kind of work so rarely I will rent it when needed. Your point is right on.

Comment

BUster to do any surface cleaning; sidewalks or driveways, I'd wouldn't go with anything bigger than a 16in w/your pw'er. You'll also have to go with 2gpm nozzles because they don't make a 1.5. You'd be set for a 4gpm machine but only supply 3gpms which in my mind makes me think you'd lose quite a bit of pressure too. It'll work, just not as fast and you'd have to use more chems to compensate. Thus in turn, losing money on slower times and/or excessive use of chems.
                What you have is a very nice yellow equipment washer. What happened to the $1000 budget?

Comment

Originally posted by Woody

OH! I should say that you can do surface cleaning w/o heat. I don't recommend it but sometimes you have to do w/o. I just did the breezeways of a condo w/something like 23 stories w/o hot water. Kinda sucked but I used chems to compensate. Normally chems are not needed and it bit a nice chunk into my profits to include the dwell time factor. Then it still didn't do as well as hot would've in a multitude of areas.

The Woodster is correct-o, again. Surface cleaning is best done with hot water, 180-200degs. Chems are not normally needed but sometimes you'll need a little more boost to help those oil stains and tire marks to disappear.
                  Most commercial grade surface cleaners are rated at a min of 4gpms thus the need for a 4gpm machine matched with proper psi. Now a serious pw'er pushing 8gpms has the ability to really move a surface cleaner. I have a whisper wash "Big Guy" and though I have never used anything higher than 5gpms with it, it is at a fair pace, I'm assuming 8 would allow you do to a nice little strut. @4gpms w/heat and no chems, I'm covering about 2.5-3k sf per hour, depending on obstacles.

Comment

95% of the time I am only cleaning really expensive equipment-like $50k of tractors, attachments, as well as all the Stihl, Honda ,etc…

I don't do any pavement jobs right now so the ROI would be about 100 years on a bigger unit. I saw a really good deal on a DP2800 3 gpm @ (I guess) 2600 PSI, so I went with a lower level washer with a commercial Honda engine and commercial Cat pump. I’ll end up paying less then $400 after taxes.

If I do get offers for pavement cleaning or bigger jobs I will re-evaluate bigger and heavier equipment. It will depend on the opportunity. If I go bigger, it will require more serious due diligence. $400 is really just maintenance for the rest of the equipment.
                    Power cleaning has never been my specialty, but for cleaning it has always been a necessity.

I'll use the remainder of the budget to buy more 'Hot' pepper seeds!

(No jack D.-they did not come from Japan-my pepper seeds are too hot for your timid orifice!)

Comment

Originally posted by buster57
                      95% of the time I am only cleaning really expensive equipment-like $50k of tractors, attachments, as well as all the Stihl, Honda ,etc…

I don't do any pavement jobs right now so the ROI would be about 100 years on a bigger unit. I saw a really good deal on a DP2800 3 gpm @ (I guess) 2600 PSI, so I went with a lower level washer with a commercial Honda engine and commercial Cat pump. I’ll end up paying less then $400 after taxes.

If I do get offers for pavement cleaning or bigger jobs I will re-evaluate bigger and heavier equipment. It will depend on the opportunity. If I go bigger, it will require more serious due diligence. $400 is really just maintenance for the rest of the equipment.
                      Power cleaning has never been my specialty, but for cleaning it has always been a necessity.

I'll use the remainder of the budget to buy more 'Hot' pepper seeds!

(No jack D.-they did not come from Japan-my pepper seeds are too hot for your timid orifice!)
                      Sounds like you're doing fine then. You might want to check into getting an X-jet! Actually, you need to get an M5 X-JET!

The X-JET long range nozzle is now available as the M-JET nozzle. The M-Jet has all the features of the X-JET except it comes with a variable nozzle on the outlet of the nozzle. The M-Jet is to be used on jobs where the zero degree impact of the original XJET is not required. MJET will inject and proportion soaps, chemicals, or other liquids at high pressure without going through your pump, hose, gun or lance. The MJET can project liquids to vertical heights over 40 feet depdning upon the capability of your pressure washer. It can be used with virtually any pressure washer, hot or cold for 1000 PSI to 6000 PSI

This is the man you need to talk to about anything involving chemicals and/or equipment. Tell him Scott sent ya, all the way from Panama City, FL. M-F 9-5 EST or visit his web site and you can probably talk to him tonight if he's on.
                      http://www.thecleanernetwork.com/

"The Chemical Doctor"
                      ROWLETT PRESSURE CLEANING
                      RPC Cleaning Chemicals
                      800-357-6295
                      615-459-0615

Comment

That's a really cool site!

I am sure you just cost me some money!!

Guys-check that out-it's informative and fun!

Comment

Steve is one HECK of a nice guy! I've personally burned up MANY minutes chatting with him on the telephone. I've also spoken with a few other people from the forums there on the phone. A bunch of really good people. The forums there are great as well. Just watch out for a few certain individuals intent on bickering. Scott can fill you in on everyone there.
                          Woody

"Those willing to give up a little liberty for a little security deserve neither security nor liberty." ---Benjamin Franklin

"This country, with its institutions, belongs to the people who inhabit it. Whenever they shall grow weary of the existing Government, they can exercise their constitutional right of amending it, or their revolutionary right to dismember or overthrow it." ---Abraham Lincoln

Comment

I bet you need to watch out for a guy named Woody!

Comment

Working...
                            X