Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Roof cleaning systems

Here are some pics on "Dons" wand.

Michael Kreisle
    First Choice Power Washing LLC
    Lexington, KY 859-983-5955
    http://www.firstchoicepowerwashing.com
    http://www.pressurewashingusa.com

Mike: How many PSI on that Delavan 5.3 GPM? What is the pricing like, how long do they live (as compared to the Flojet)? Where are they available from?

So many questions.
    Woody

"Those willing to give up a little liberty for a little security deserve neither security nor liberty." ---Benjamin Franklin

"This country, with its institutions, belongs to the people who inhabit it. Whenever they shall grow weary of the existing Government, they can exercise their constitutional right of amending it, or their revolutionary right to dismember or overthrow it." ---Abraham Lincoln

what kinda money are we talking here to get this rig setup

Mike! Welcome to the Lawnserviceforum.com.

You know it's kinda funny how people think it's Don's Wand, get it Don's wand? (Sorry couldn't refuse. )
    I believe it actually started out with Big Pete a friend of Don's and then Don and/or Pete improved it as time went on. Pretty ingenius if you ask me. There's another setup you could use and some of the pesticide guys would be familiar with it and it's just that, a pesticide gun that is used on the spray trucks and I'll get to that later.

For the guys that don't belong to Cleaning Talk, I'll post those pics Mike linked to.

This is obivously the connection end. Notice the stainless steel QD, it'll hold up much better to the chlorine or whatever you pump through it.

And here's a few of the bizness end.

If you feel that you must burn our flag, please wrap yourself in it first.

and here's those pics Mike linked to for the portable unit along with a phelps wand

If you feel that you must burn our flag, please wrap yourself in it first.

The pump cost $129. I included a link to the ebay store that has them. Yes, Scott, the wand really has an elusive origin. I actually made my own. I have a trigger gun also like the lawn sprayers use that I use on walkable roofs. My pvc wand now is only used for shooting from roofs edge. I use a 0040 tip and can shoot abot 30-35 feet out and maybe 25 feet vertical.

The pump is only 60 psi but the higher flow is where the shooting ability is at. It is a pretty good solid stream.

As for how long it will last, I have used it for 7 roofs so far. I haven't had it long. I figure at $129, it can be a throw away if it can clean at least 10 roofs. I factor that cost into the pricing. I did a small roof last week... 45 minutes.... $375. Not really worried if it dies after 10 roofs. LOL

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-Delavan-Diap...QQcmdZViewItem
    Michael Kreisle
    First Choice Power Washing LLC
    Lexington, KY 859-983-5955
    http://www.firstchoicepowerwashing.com
    http://www.pressurewashingusa.com

Mike: Great link. Man, that is a lot of flow out of that pump! I'll keep that in mind when I need another pump.
    Woody

"Those willing to give up a little liberty for a little security deserve neither security nor liberty." ---Benjamin Franklin

"This country, with its institutions, belongs to the people who inhabit it. Whenever they shall grow weary of the existing Government, they can exercise their constitutional right of amending it, or their revolutionary right to dismember or overthrow it." ---Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by Woody View Post
    Now Scott a simple description would work on "The Wand" (I thought Phelps did most of the work on it???).

Anyhow... Home Despot or similar. A ball valve, some gray sprinkler pipe. That's about it. A little thinking and you are done. The reason you use the gray sprinkler plumbing is because it is THREADED PVC. You NEED this if you run Sodium Hypochlorite because the high chlorine levels will cause the normal PVC glue to come apart in a fairly short time.

Oh, key to this setup is a pressure washer "tip" used at the end. Fairly low pressure, low flow, easy on-off at the ball valve. It makes the job a WHOLE lot easier! Don't go over about 7.5 feet in length, or it gets a bit much to handle. I suppose SOMEONE could devise a similar device to be used on a Pitch Witch type of device and just do it all from the ground.
    The "Phelps Wand" is a common PVC Wand with an angled swivel on it.
    Actually Big Pete in Tampa is responsible for the swivel part.
    I don't like them , excepy maybe on a tile roof ?
    They have some use in hitting the edges of the tiles.
    Unfortunately, the angled wans sprays back against the face of the tile, and hits my feet!
    This makes my boots slippery, not a good thing.

We use a ball valve with plastic quick change nozzles.

Quote Originally Posted by Woody View Post
    Now Scott a simple description would work on "The Wand" (I thought Phelps did most of the work on it???).

Anyhow... Home Despot or similar. A ball valve, some gray sprinkler pipe. That's about it. A little thinking and you are done. The reason you use the gray sprinkler plumbing is because it is THREADED PVC. You NEED this if you run Sodium Hypochlorite because the high chlorine levels will cause the normal PVC glue to come apart in a fairly short time.

Oh, key to this setup is a pressure washer "tip" used at the end. Fairly low pressure, low flow, easy on-off at the ball valve. It makes the job a WHOLE lot easier! Don't go over about 7.5 feet in length, or it gets a bit much to handle. I suppose SOMEONE could devise a similar device to be used on a Pitch Witch type of device and just do it all from the ground.
    The wand you speak of has been around for years.
    The SWIVEL is pretty "innovative".
    My Company has cleaned OVER 10, 000 roofs in our 16 years in the roof cleaning business in Tampa.
    I have done at least 1/2 of them.
    I do not like a wand, and fail to see why anyone would consider then "necessary" ?
    In my considerable experience, the ONLY time I wouuld ever consider a wand is MAYBE for getting the edges of a very slippery tile roof.
    But an experienced roof cleaner will simply spray UP against the faces of the tiles anyway to catch the edges.

Using an angled wand, the spray gets all over your boots/shoes at times.
    PLUS, if you are on a slippery tile roof, and miss a spot, just TRY raising that unweildy thing to spray cross the roof to the spot you missed ?

The guys who use wands use wide pattern nozzles
    Go ahead, lift the wand up, and SEE what happens, chlorine mix everywhere.

A FAR better set up is a simple ball valve with a 25 degree nozzle.

Because the ball valve is further away from the roof then a wand, the nozzle has TIME to develop a pattern, and the 25 degree pattern is just like "painting a roof" with a wide, controlled swath.

Plus, IF you miss a spot, simply aim and shoot at what you missed ?
    TRY that with the wide pattern nozzles the "wand groupies" use.

I have made several wands in my roof cleaning carreer, and still have some.
    I allow my employees to use what THEY want.
    Never have I had any employee prefer a wand, EXCEPT if he was scared on a tile roof, and lacked experience or coordination enough to turn sideways, and spray UP.

Once I see FEAR on a roof in an employee, he cant work for me anymore, except MAYBE on the ground.
    And even then, he is worthless, because my roof guys sometimes need a break
    Scared employees get HURT easily, IME.

Let me see if I can find some pictures of us using our Ball Valve/Spray System in action ?

Oh, about the Delevan, many use it, we do not, but some have had the Flojet, went to the Delavan, and went BACK to the Flojet again.

I have no opinion on that, because we use a totally different pump system.

Just wanted to add that, because I am in contact with MANY roof cleaners across America frequently.

Pump Tec and Johnson also make 12 volt pumps !

The Pump Tec is american made, and does 150 PSI easily !!!

Of crap, one of THOSE forums where ya gotta have pics hosted somewhere to post em.

Sorry, no pics hosted elsewhere to post.

I currently use the 5gpm 12 volt Delavans with 1/2" hose. It's an upgrade from our old school 1.8 shurflo and 3/8" hose but it isn't quite the setup that Chris has but then again we don't clean roof's like Chris does.

You da man Apple!