No announcement yet.

Roof cleaning systems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The pump cost $129. I included a link to the ebay store that has them. Yes, Scott, the wand really has an elusive origin. I actually made my own. I have a trigger gun also like the lawn sprayers use that I use on walkable roofs. My pvc wand now is only used for shooting from roofs edge. I use a 0040 tip and can shoot abot 30-35 feet out and maybe 25 feet vertical.

The pump is only 60 psi but the higher flow is where the shooting ability is at. It is a pretty good solid stream.

As for how long it will last, I have used it for 7 roofs so far. I haven't had it long. I figure at $129, it can be a throw away if it can clean at least 10 roofs. I factor that cost into the pricing. I did a small roof last week... 45 minutes.... $375. Not really worried if it dies after 10 roofs. LOL

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-Delavan-Diap...QQcmdZViewItem
    Michael Kreisle
    First Choice Power Washing LLC
    Lexington, KY 859-983-5955
    http://www.firstchoicepowerwashing.com
    http://www.pressurewashingusa.com

Comment

Mike: Great link. Man, that is a lot of flow out of that pump! I'll keep that in mind when I need another pump.
      Woody

"Those willing to give up a little liberty for a little security deserve neither security nor liberty." ---Benjamin Franklin

"This country, with its institutions, belongs to the people who inhabit it. Whenever they shall grow weary of the existing Government, they can exercise their constitutional right of amending it, or their revolutionary right to dismember or overthrow it." ---Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by Woody View Post
        Now Scott a simple description would work on "The Wand" (I thought Phelps did most of the work on it???).

Anyhow... Home Despot or similar. A ball valve, some gray sprinkler pipe. That's about it. A little thinking and you are done. The reason you use the gray sprinkler plumbing is because it is THREADED PVC. You NEED this if you run Sodium Hypochlorite because the high chlorine levels will cause the normal PVC glue to come apart in a fairly short time.

Oh, key to this setup is a pressure washer "tip" used at the end. Fairly low pressure, low flow, easy on-off at the ball valve. It makes the job a WHOLE lot easier! Don't go over about 7.5 feet in length, or it gets a bit much to handle. I suppose SOMEONE could devise a similar device to be used on a Pitch Witch type of device and just do it all from the ground.
        The "Phelps Wand" is a common PVC Wand with an angled swivel on it.
        Actually Big Pete in Tampa is responsible for the swivel part.
        I don't like them , excepy maybe on a tile roof ?
        They have some use in hitting the edges of the tiles.
        Unfortunately, the angled wans sprays back against the face of the tile, and hits my feet!
        This makes my boots slippery, not a good thing.

We use a ball valve with plastic quick change nozzles.
        sigpicApple Roof Cleaning Tampa 813 655 8777
        Roof Cleaning Training
        Roof Cleaning Certification

Comment

Originally posted by Woody View Post
          Now Scott a simple description would work on "The Wand" (I thought Phelps did most of the work on it???).

Anyhow... Home Despot or similar. A ball valve, some gray sprinkler pipe. That's about it. A little thinking and you are done. The reason you use the gray sprinkler plumbing is because it is THREADED PVC. You NEED this if you run Sodium Hypochlorite because the high chlorine levels will cause the normal PVC glue to come apart in a fairly short time.

Oh, key to this setup is a pressure washer "tip" used at the end. Fairly low pressure, low flow, easy on-off at the ball valve. It makes the job a WHOLE lot easier! Don't go over about 7.5 feet in length, or it gets a bit much to handle. I suppose SOMEONE could devise a similar device to be used on a Pitch Witch type of device and just do it all from the ground.
          The wand you speak of has been around for years.
          The SWIVEL is pretty "innovative".
          My Company has cleaned OVER 10, 000 roofs in our 16 years in the roof cleaning business in Tampa.
          I have done at least 1/2 of them.
          I do not like a wand, and fail to see why anyone would consider then "necessary" ?
          In my considerable experience, the ONLY time I wouuld ever consider a wand is MAYBE for getting the edges of a very slippery tile roof.
          But an experienced roof cleaner will simply spray UP against the faces of the tiles anyway to catch the edges.

Using an angled wand, the spray gets all over your boots/shoes at times.
          PLUS, if you are on a slippery tile roof, and miss a spot, just TRY raising that unweildy thing to spray cross the roof to the spot you missed ?

The guys who use wands use wide pattern nozzles
          Go ahead, lift the wand up, and SEE what happens, chlorine mix everywhere.

A FAR better set up is a simple ball valve with a 25 degree nozzle.

Because the ball valve is further away from the roof then a wand, the nozzle has TIME to develop a pattern, and the 25 degree pattern is just like "painting a roof" with a wide, controlled swath.

Plus, IF you miss a spot, simply aim and shoot at what you missed ?
          TRY that with the wide pattern nozzles the "wand groupies" use.

I have made several wands in my roof cleaning carreer, and still have some.
          I allow my employees to use what THEY want.
          Never have I had any employee prefer a wand, EXCEPT if he was scared on a tile roof, and lacked experience or coordination enough to turn sideways, and spray UP.

Once I see FEAR on a roof in an employee, he cant work for me anymore, except MAYBE on the ground.
          And even then, he is worthless, because my roof guys sometimes need a break :laughing:
          Scared employees get HURT easily, IME.

Let me see if I can find some pictures of us using our Ball Valve/Spray System in action ?

Oh, about the Delevan, many use it, we do not, but some have had the Flojet, went to the Delavan, and went BACK to the Flojet again.

I have no opinion on that, because we use a totally different pump system.

Just wanted to add that, because I am in contact with MANY roof cleaners across America frequently.

Pump Tec and Johnson also make 12 volt pumps !

The Pump Tec is american made, and does 150 PSI easily !!!

Of crap, one of THOSE forums where ya gotta have pics hosted somewhere to post em.

Sorry, no pics hosted elsewhere to post.
          Roof Cleaning Training

Comment

I currently use the 5gpm 12 volt Delavans with 1/2" hose. It's an upgrade from our old school 1.8 shurflo and 3/8" hose but it isn't quite the setup that Chris has but then again we don't clean roof's like Chris does.

You da man Apple!
            Midwest Pro Wash
            Power Washing and Deck Cleaning Contractor
            Pressure Washing Prices

Comment

Originally posted by Barry M View Post
              I currently use the 5gpm 12 volt Delavans with 1/2" hose. It's an upgrade from our old school 1.8 shurflo and 3/8" hose but it isn't quite the setup that Chris has but then again we don't clean roof's like Chris does.

You da man Apple!
              You da Man too Barry !
              We use 15 GPM Air pumps, but we clean several roofs a day, and traffic here in Tampa can be really bad.
              Thus, speed is of the essence.
              Most of my roof cleaning local friends use the Delevans wih 1/2 or 5/8 hose, depending on how much space they have on their trailers for the appropriate hose reels.
              It took us over 15 years to build up a roof cleaning business to what it is today.
              Now, it's mostly gravy, just re writing past customers.
              Roof Cleaning Training

Comment

Roof Cleaning is a great business to be in. Our roof cleaning services in Jacksonville, FL have been taking off lately. With the economy the way it is I hope in continues.
                Anyone else have roof cleaning set ups that they would like to share?

Comment

Roof Cleaning in Tampa Florida

Lance and Barry, you guys ROCK
                  We use Yamada NDP 15 FVT air diapraghm roof cleaning pumps made from Kynar that are 15 gpm.
                  These pumps do require an air compressor.
                  We have several threads about roof cleaning pumps at the Roof Cleaning Institute of America Forum.However, the Delavan Fat Boy is a great pump, for the money.
                  Our roof cleaning setup costs well over 1000.00
                  Roof Cleaning Training

Comment

Originally posted by roof-cleaning-tampa View Post
                    That's cheap compared to equipping a lawn maintenance startup.
                    If you feel that you must burn our flag, please wrap yourself in it first.

Comment

Originally posted by roof-cleaning-tampa View Post
                      Lance and Barry, you guys ROCK
                      We use Yamada NDP 15 FVT air diapraghm roof cleaning pumps made from Kynar that are 15 gpm.
                      These pumps do require an air compressor.
                      We have several threads about roof cleaning pumps at the Roof Cleaning Institute of America Forum.However, the Delavan Fat Boy is a great pump, for the money.
                      What's up Chris! how is roof cleaning been in Tampa lately? Hopefully going OK. I will have to eventually up grade my roof cleaning set up to something with a little more kick. I've been marketing like heck on the Internet lately trying to keep on top in the seo department for my area.
                      Work is never done when trying to reach the masses with your roof cleaning services. the man who gets complacent will fall behind in a hurry, but of course you know that all to well. We've gotta keep pushin to stay on top.

Comment

Originally posted by CCPC View Post
                        What's up Chris! how is roof cleaning been in Tampa lately? Hopefully going OK. I will have to eventually up grade my roof cleaning set up to something with a little more kick. I've been marketing like heck on the Internet lately trying to keep on top in the seo department for my area.
                        Work is never done when trying to reach the masses with your roof cleaning services. the man who gets complacent will fall behind in a hurry, but of course you know that all to well. We've gotta keep pushin to stay on top.
                        Well, things have been a TAD slow for Roof Cleaning In Tampa lately
                        We dominate our local Tampa Roof Cleaning Market in both the Local and Web Site searches.
                        Plus, the RCIA Website is number TWO for a roof cleaning search on google

So, we have several pages popping up in the Tampa Roof Cleaning searches.

The Economy is not well, things are a bit slow, but we are still doing ok
                        Roof Cleaning Training

Comment

Nice pic of the articulating high Lift, Chris. Those sure make the job of cleaning slate roofs easier, especially two stories and above.
                          David Westerman-Roof Clean USA
                          http://www.roofcleanusa.com
                          American Roof Cleaners Association
                          http://www.a-r-c-a.com

Comment

Tile Roof Cleaning Palm Harbor FL

Originally posted by Roof Clean USA View Post
                            Nice pic of the articulating high Lift, Chris. Those sure make the job of cleaning slate roofs easier, especially two stories and above.
                            Hello David!
                            I have to go estimate two bank buildings in Palm Harbor and Oldsmar, Florida this week.
                            Both are 3 story barrel tile, pretty steep, slippery tile roofs.
                            I will price a lift in my estimate.
                            Pretty sure this tile roof cleaning palm harbor job is ours :laughing:
                            I have done tile roof cleaning work for this general contractor before, and he has the cleaning contract for these two Florida banks.
                            Roof Cleaning Training

Comment

RoofCleaners

Hope all is well and Happy Holidays to everyone!

Guys, We are Stoked!

Roof Clean USA #1 on first page of Google for GA Roof Cleaning ! We did this organically by sheer determination. Our GOAL is now a reality. Follow our roof cleaning goals and watch us lead by example in 2010

Follow Us on Twitter at http://twitter.com/RoofCleaners
                              David Westerman-Roof Clean USA
                              http://www.roofcleanusa.com
                              American Roof Cleaners Association
                              http://www.a-r-c-a.com

Comment

pumps

Barry- Other than gpm, is there a reason that you went with a Delavan over a shurflo? For someone just starting what is the minimum gpm pump you would choose? Thanks for your help.

Comment

Working...
                                X