Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Roof cleaning systems

Default Roof cleaning systems

Here's a couple shurflos hooked up for cleaning roofs. Pic quality is ok and I yeah, I stole them from TGS

The Before

The After

and the equipment

This job belongs to Dustin Cook out of SC

hope the links work, if not I can get different ones.
    If you feel that you must burn our flag, please wrap yourself in it first.

Nice one Scott! You do realize that anyone who wants to view those NEEDS to be a member of TGS!

Stick to things you are better at... Like photography!
    Woody

"Those willing to give up a little liberty for a little security deserve neither security nor liberty." ---Benjamin Franklin

"This country, with its institutions, belongs to the people who inhabit it. Whenever they shall grow weary of the existing Government, they can exercise their constitutional right of amending it, or their revolutionary right to dismember or overthrow it." ---Abraham Lincoln

plgghhh!

How be that? any betta?

I should probably bust out a few of my own pics but I not sure I could take the ridicule

Now Scott, I have seen some of your pictures. You do great work for a scrub!

I think I saw a surface cleaning of a sidewalk, done with a Big Guy. Wasn't that your work?
    Woody

"Those willing to give up a little liberty for a little security deserve neither security nor liberty." ---Benjamin Franklin

"This country, with its institutions, belongs to the people who inhabit it. Whenever they shall grow weary of the existing Government, they can exercise their constitutional right of amending it, or their revolutionary right to dismember or overthrow it." ---Abraham Lincoln

That's perdy cool.

Did the guy also make some money updating that atrocious landscaping as well?
    2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 and future 2015 LSF RECEPTED AWARD recipient!

Hortikulture Kolledge Grad + Licensed Master Irrigator + Certified Backflow Technician +
    Licensed Fert & Squirt Applicator = Jack of all trades, master of none.

Question Now what in the world is it?

OK, from other talk & photo's I'm assuming that he's using some kind of low pressure rig with a long extension wand on it and he actually doesn't get on the roof. Correct?

What kind of pumps, how much they cost & what they put out?

He uses what kind of chemicals that sits there for a period of time letting them do their things then he basically washes off the Chems & Crud with low pressure water?

I saw a web site some where that does that stuff or sell that stuff & it looked interesting. I might have a link at home.

I wish I could see it in action, all I've basically seen is high pressure blasting the crap off. Using low pressure with larger volumes of water letting the better chemicals do most of the work sounds a lot easier & far less damaging to the roof.

Quote Originally Posted by GrassMaster
    OK, from other talk & photo's I'm assuming that he's using some kind of low pressure rig with a long extension wand on it and he actually doesn't get on the roof. Correct?

What kind of pumps, how much they cost & what they put out?

He uses what kind of chemicals that sits there for a period of time letting them do their things then he basically washes off the Chems & Crud with low pressure water?

I saw a web site some where that does that stuff or sell that stuff & it looked interesting. I might have a link at home.

I wish I could see it in action, all I've basically seen is high pressure blasting the crap off. Using low pressure with larger volumes of water letting the better chemicals do most of the work sounds a lot easier & far less damaging to the roof.
    Mr. Grassmaster I'm glad you asked those questions,,, and I'll get to them sometime tonight.

What it is; It is a couple of Shurflo On-Demand Diaphragm pumps tied together in parallel. What that does is increase your flow but not your pressure. Each of those pumps are rated at 1.8gpm, 60psi and @ 12v. They can be bought at your local boat store or online for around $70-$80. This setup is connected with 3/8s braided hose but 5/8’s would probably work better and not be so restrictive. This setup doesn’t have to necessarily have to be used for roofs, it can virtually be used in any type of application where you need to spray a liquid.

Chemicals? We don’t need no stinkin chemicals! Well actually you do when you’re cleaning a roof. You basically have two routes; Sodium Hydroxide or sodium hypochlorite aka pool chlorine. This subject can really get people fired up so I’ll just leave it as it is on da table and you can do your own due diligence on the subject matter.

How do ya do it, well with SH you’ll have to spray on and then come back with some low pressure w/pw’er and a very wide tip and wash off. This can be a fairly longer process than with pool chlorine. With chlorine you can spray on then rinse with your water hose. Both mixtures can be made hotter and dwell time for both would depend on how bad your roof is, just don’t let either dry!

Some products can be found at http://www.rowlettpressure.com/

Here's a few pics of the shurflo setups.

Under Pete's tool box

Here's Blauser's hand held, he also uses his for staining decks. Notice the battery mounted below the unit?

And here's Mike W. He's actually running a flojet in this picture

When I find time I'll post pics of the now called "Phelps wand" but I think Big Pete was the originator.

Now Scott a simple description would work on "The Wand" (I thought Phelps did most of the work on it???).

Anyhow... Home Despot or similar. A ball valve, some gray sprinkler pipe. That's about it. A little thinking and you are done. The reason you use the gray sprinkler plumbing is because it is THREADED PVC. You NEED this if you run Sodium Hypochlorite because the high chlorine levels will cause the normal PVC glue to come apart in a fairly short time.

Oh, key to this setup is a pressure washer "tip" used at the end. Fairly low pressure, low flow, easy on-off at the ball valve. It makes the job a WHOLE lot easier! Don't go over about 7.5 feet in length, or it gets a bit much to handle. I suppose SOMEONE could devise a similar device to be used on a Pitch Witch type of device and just do it all from the ground.
    Woody

Here is a portable "starter set-up"

But this is the pump we use now. Delavan 5.3 gpm.

Michael Kreisle
    First Choice Power Washing LLC
    Lexington, KY 859-983-5955
    http://www.firstchoicepowerwashing.com
    http://www.pressurewashingusa.com