No announcement yet.

2 men in 1 truck or 2 men in 2 trucks?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 men in 1 truck or 2 men in 2 trucks?

What is more efficient, two men in one truck or two men in two trucks?

This is a debate that some of us here have been having. I'd like to hear what other people's experiences have been. I've always been told that two men working independently is more efficient that two men working together (in this business).

Right now I'm just one person. I'm thinking about expanding the business, widening my coverage area and possibly hiring someone. Would I be better off keeping him with me in my truck or buying a whole seperate rig for man number 2.

Obviously having two rigs would cost more up front, but would it pay off better in the long run.

And there are other issues to contend with I know. Finding a good employee, someone I can trust with a whole rig might be challenging but I'm just trying to focus on efficiency aspect right now.

There are a couple of configurations that I'm thinking of.

1. Two men in one truck with two of everything, 48" mowers, trimmers and blowers.
    2. Two men in one truck with one mower and one trimmer and one blower
    3. Two men in two seperate trucks with their own equipment, 48" mowers, trimmer and blower.

Any input on this would be appreciated.

two men in one truck. It depends no your properties how you set it up. many of my properties the mowing and trimming is about the same everyone is always doing something. I can get away with one mower, 2 trimmers and blower per rig and be efficient.

Comment

if you have 2 men 2 trucks and they go to the same place then you have just spent twice as much to get there. That does not make much sence to me. The only reason I would go with 2 men and 2 trucks is because the yards are extremly small and each of us were going to different yards. As far as how much equip., I would think one mower would work, there agian depending on the type of property you do. I personally think it is a good idea to run with a couple of trimmers. I have found out one trimmer will quit when you are running late and it is fixing to rain.
      Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
      Homer Simpson

Comment

Two men and 1 truck has been working for me. I have 3 mowers with me at all times a Scag Z Cat and two 21" Snappers (for the small yards) 2 trimmers a stick edger and a blower.

Comment

Ever hear of the word, "Synergy"?
          If you feel that you must burn our flag, please wrap yourself in it first.

Comment

I can't imagine two guys each with their own truck and eqt would be as efficient as two guys in one rig.
            2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 and future 2015 LSF RECEPTED AWARD recipient!

Hortikulture Kolledge Grad + Licensed Master Irrigator + Certified Backflow Technician +
            Licensed Fert & Squirt Applicator = Jack of all trades, master of none.

Comment

i would do 2 guys, 1 truck, 2 48" mowers 2 trimmers and a blower. to me that seems the most efficient way. with this way both of you will always be doing something. i would also think with this way you can cut your cost cause you can do twice as much business with both methods but with 2 guys, 1 truck its not costing you as much.

Comment

2 men head in opposite directions

No, both rigs would not go to the same location. Each truck would go in a different direction and have their own route to follow.

Comment

Two guys, one truck, especially if you are just starting out. Hire a friend that you know is reliable that wants to make some extra money. See how much faster you will get done with your current accounts compared to how long you used to be by yourself, then start looking to expand.

Comment

2 per truck with 2 each of everything!

Originally posted by 2mowerguys
                    What is more efficient, two men in one truck or two men in two trucks?
                    1. Two men in one truck with two of everything, 48" mowers, trimmers and blowers.
                    Any input on this would be appreciated.
                    Too many added expenses to have another truck & equipment setup for 1 employee to go on his own when starting from scratch.

Get someone working with you then later when you got all the 2 of you can do, then get you another truck & another employee. So you can go your separate ways, giving bids, picking up stuff & other Business Owner Duties. Let the 2 guys stay in the first truck.

Then as time goes on you'll have more equipment & probably larger jobs that you could put 3rd man at then boom you need another employee and you will then have you 4 employees 3 trucks, 2 per truck then 1 for you by then they should be able to support you while you do more on the business side.

When I got my first 2 going in a truck, they had 2 of everything & most of the time I carried the newest spares of at least 1 each in case of breakdowns. Lost down time because of a lack of equipment easily cost you close to a $100 an hour.

It's almost impossible to have too much equipment. You just want to make sure the oldest & most worn equipment is on the front lines running everyday so when you do have a breakdown, your newest equipment is your backups until older equipment gets repaired & put back on the front line.

Try to stick to the same kind & model of equipment per category so you can buy an extra pull rope assembly, trimmer head, carb, filters & whatever so you can swap out parts on the spot & reduce down time.

Not only does downtime cost you over double what you make, you still got extra windshield time getting stuff fixed, going back & forth trying to finish the job & it lays you wide open for making excuses to the customer why you couldn't finish the lawn that day?

Your main goal should be trying to convert every man hour worked into billable - worked hours. If you got a guy working 40 hours a week but you only able to bill out 30 hours a week.

That other unaccounted 10 man hours a week, or even 5 hours a week converts into a $1,000 to $2,000 a month per man & that's money that could be going into your pocket. A nice shop purchase or a Nice home & new truck to boot.

It will blow your mind when you start watching where you lost man hours are going, then it's your job to figure out ways to convert into billable hours.

Lost time can make you or break you real quick!
                    This is for the new people here, I know you older members have seen this a 1,000 times but go here...
                    http://www.lawnservicing.com/work-sm...not-harder.htm
                    and read both...

Work Smarter, Not Harder
                    How I learned the Hard Way, Why Should you?

& down the page...

Rocket Science
                    It's nothing but simple math

In most cases when you see a guy that's owns his own company over a few years & he's still carrying a trimmer or running a mower, he's his worst employee. You have choices in this & any other business...

You can let your business run you into the ground & work your self half to death...

Or You can run your business like a business owner should.

Here's an example of how Time = Money! Money is work Divided by Time!
                    I know of a company right now, that has a little over 50 employees. They build a product that the cheapest one sells for $1,000,000, they have a waiting list now of over one year that equals millions of dollars & can't build fast enough to supply the demand.

A little over 5 years ago this same company produced more then with 30 employees than they are now with 50, since that time they've spent Millions on bigger & better second location and far better equipment that is faster & reduces man hours.

The problem is they can't get a grasp on growth or get what they should out of their employees time. I could probably get a job there & make a killing fine tuning production & solving the problem of motivating the employees. I've worked in Firestone Tire Plants, Mead & Continintal Board Paper Mills, Georgia Power Companies, Miller Brewing Company. I know about Man Hours, Production, Lost Time, how to get the job done & even how to fix it. But I just hate to do anything except work on a computer?

This company I'm talking about makes the Big Bucks, they paid one of their salesmen over $500,000 in Salary & Bonuses last year. LOL, If I could sit in my Leather Chair, have someone roll me around I might consider it. The problem is I enjoy sitting on my behind, I made mine years ago. I would rather do what I'm doing now with far less money than make an extra $100K or $250K a year. Money ain't nothing if you can't spend time with your family.

Yes even the Million Dollar man above that has the 50 employees has problems & it all boils down to this. Make the most out of your time, you might not be able to measure it all in Dollar Bills at least I don't, but make the most of it because once your time is gone you can't get it back. If you buy labor low & sell it high make every minute count. Because you can't get it back & I've never seen a Mail in Rebate or Factory Rebate on time. Sad but true once it's gone, it's gone for ever?
                    GrassMaster, LSF Administrator!
                    LawnPro - Lawn Care Business Software:
                    www.lawnbook.com --- www.lawnservicing.com

Comment

Grassmaster speaks the truth.

Comment

What about the customer?? Those machines are NOISY.

Customers don't want to listen to the sound of mowers, trimmers, edgers and blowers for any longer than necessary. A one-man crew will be making noise the whole time as he mows, then edges, then trims and finally blows. He uses each tool "in series".

But a 2 (or 3) man crew will be making all that racket for half as long "in parallel". For customers at home (usually wives), this shortened disturbance time is much appreciated.

This is a good SELLING POINT when you are bidding against a one man show, along with asking the potential customer, "what happens to your yard if this one guy gets sick or hurt?"

Mort

Comment

Two men in two trucks for a total for 4 guys. Each truck gets their own route. There's an outfit around here that sends two trucks and 4 guys to each prop (even 1/2 acre ones), to me that's crazy.

For your answer though, get a guy to work with you in one truck. Teach him what's expected. When the time comes, hire a second guy to work with him. Take your time to expand business.
                          -Rich

Ron Howard: Is that... vodka... and wheat grass?
                          Homer: It's called a "lawnmower". I invented it. Want one?

Comment

Originally posted by MortNuke
                            What about the customer?? Those machines are NOISY.

Customers don't want to listen to the sound of mowers, trimmers, edgers and blowers for any longer than necessary. A one-man crew will be making noise the whole time as he mows, then edges, then trims and finally blows. He uses each tool "in series".

But a 2 (or 3) man crew will be making all that racket for half as long "in parallel". For customers at home (usually wives), this shortened disturbance time is much appreciated.

This is a good SELLING POINT when you are bidding against a one man show, along with asking the potential customer, "what happens to your yard if this one guy gets sick or hurt?"

Mort
                            at least in my area i find most people are not home during the day so the noise is not noticed, if the wife is able to stay at home i guarentee she's doing the mowing instead of hiring someone, but that is a good point for those who don't like the racket. i personnally have never heard of anyone complaining about a yard company and the noise they make. as for your answer to if the one guy crew gets sick: you don't get sick if your a one man crew even if you are sick you don't get sick

Comment

Originally posted by spotremix
                              at least in my area i find most people are not home during the day so the noise is not noticed, if the wife is able to stay at home i guarentee she's doing the mowing instead of hiring someone, but that is a good point for those who don't like the racket. i personnally have never heard of anyone complaining about a yard company and the noise they make. as for your answer to if the one guy crew gets sick: you don't get sick if your a one man crew even if you are sick you don't get sick
                              You guarantee it? A good majority of my clients are house wives. What wealthy female wants to slave behind a mower and break her nails?

Yo, spotremix, you gotta move up to the higher class neighborhoods!
                              2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 and future 2015 LSF RECEPTED AWARD recipient!

Hortikulture Kolledge Grad + Licensed Master Irrigator + Certified Backflow Technician +
                              Licensed Fert & Squirt Applicator = Jack of all trades, master of none.

Comment

Working...
                              X