Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do you charge?? (for driveways/pavement)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you charge?? (for driveways/pavement)

I've not done alot of pavement or driveway cleaning, but really want to get into it (have a capable machine). So what would you charge per square metre roughly?? I know it would differ from job to job, but if I wanted to give an approximate figure to a client, what should it be?

Or, say for example, most of the driveways around my area are pretty much the same. Stenciled concrete, about 8m long and 3m wide, a few annoying little oil stains and the rest just mouldy/mossy and easy enough to clean. What would you charge?

I was thinking around $AU100. Or $80 if they and their neighbour get it done (less travel for me). Too much?? Too little?

$0.10sf for a driveway. If it's a large parking lot $0.08-$0.05 depending on size.

you'll have to do the conversion because I'd make a mistake and screw the pooch.

Rocky, I saw your pw'er, do you have a surface cleaner and heat?
    If you feel that you must burn our flag, please wrap yourself in it first.

Comment

Scott: You live down south man, you KNOW we get more than that up north.

Really, since he is in Australia, it would be best for him to snoop a little and see what the competition is charging to get an idea of what the market there is currently bearing.

Rocky, like Scott said, you are going to need a surface cleaner for sure. If you think a wand will work, you are just kidding yourself. It will sort of get the job done, but you will be there so long that it isn't profitable at all. As for heat, it is the best option, but you can sneak by with chemicals if you don't have heat.
      Woody

"Those willing to give up a little liberty for a little security deserve neither security nor liberty." ---Benjamin Franklin

"This country, with its institutions, belongs to the people who inhabit it. Whenever they shall grow weary of the existing Government, they can exercise their constitutional right of amending it, or their revolutionary right to dismember or overthrow it." ---Abraham Lincoln

Comment

well he's really far south!

yeah, I've done quite a few jobs that I wasn't able to do with heat so I substituted chemicals. It took a bit longer but it worked. I wasn't 100% satisfied but the customers where.
        Ultimately heat is the trick and then add chemicals if needbe. Like Woody said, if you're not using a surface cleaner, you're costing yourself $$$ plus the quality outcome verses using a wand isn't even comparable.

Comment

Scott: You're right! He's soooo far south the price MUST be cheaper? Maybe they want him to pay them?

Woody

"Those willing to give up a little liberty for a little security deserve neither security nor liberty." ---Benjamin Franklin

"This country, with its institutions, belongs to the people who inhabit it. Whenever they shall grow weary of the existing Government, they can exercise their constitutional right of amending it, or their revolutionary right to dismember or overthrow it." ---Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Yeah yeah, surface cleaner (as you guys call em ) will be comming shortly. I call em a whirly whirl .

I've tried this machine out with just the wand on moss/algae covered concrete, and its not THAT time consuming Have also tested the surface cleaner and it halves the time, but I cant see a need for hot water OR chemicals, it cleaned first stroke moving at a slow walking pace. Even the bloke who sells the machines said don't bother with chems the water will handle most stuff.

And I can't believe you only charge 10c/sf. If my shonky conversions are right, thats about $1/sm. So for the driveway size i'm talking about (8x3m - 24 s/m would be about $US25. Or $AU35-$40, thats not worth me driving to the job and unloading the cleaner lol I think I will just get some local guy to give us a quote on a friends house and see.

Thanks guys.

Comment

That's about what I would charge.

Originally posted by Rocky
              I was thinking around $AU100. Or $80 if they and their neighbour get it done (less travel for me). Too much?? Too little?
              Rocky, it ain't worth it for less than about $50 USD a stop, is that $80 to $100 AU?

In fact for that amount I would want to do it on the spot when you go there to bid the job. Try to get it all in one trip & if you lucky a neighbor might want it done too. Quite a few times you can be higher than the others & still get the job if you offer to do it on the spot.

The main thing is you need to figure out what you want to make per man hour and have a 1 man hour minimum. You should be able to clean it in 30 to 45 minutes?

I'm thinking that back in the day when I had my cold water washer, it was 3.5 GPM at 2,500 psi and I could roughly do about 500 sq.ft. an hour depending on how bad the surface was.

Now it would help you a lot to figure out what the going rate is in your area by asking what others paid.
              GrassMaster, LSF Administrator!
              LawnPro - Lawn Care Business Software:
              www.lawnbook.com --- www.lawnservicing.com

Comment

which whirly whirl will you be getting?

With thick heavy covered moss driveways, you might have to shovel up what you can, apply a mixture of sodium hypochlorite(sp), let dwell, clean and repeat if needbe.

Hot water will again, speed up your times and clean much better. All you'll need is about 180degs. Trust me, the difference is like night and day . It will definetely separate you from your competition who doesn't run hot.

For those size driveways you listed, I calculated about $75-$80, depends on how hungry I am.

Chemicals might have to be used on heavily oil stained driveways or if you have iron deposits overspray from the irrigation system. Once again, though not always needed, if you run into a problem driveway, having the right chemicals will set you apart and save you a headache. It'll also do away with trying to explain to your customer why that stain didn't come up.

Comment

Okidoke, been off the net for a while cause the PC broke....

I've since done a couple of d/ways. Both somewhat under-priced .

Both were pebblecrete, and at the quote I guessed the 1st would take maybe 1hr.... well it took 2 and 1/2 . $AU80

second was a bit better, and it was HUGE . Took about 4hrs and I quoted them $150 . Used a soap based cleaning agent on this one and it helped a bit, but not enough to bother with next time. Driveway was probly 7mx10m in size.

So after these two jobs, since p/washing is only a 'side earner' for me, I've decided to just charge like a wounded bull, and after the job if it seems i've done it in a really short amount of time, i'll give the customer a discount. And i figure this will make for one very happy customer at the end . Already got one more lined up in two weeks, a few sandstone retaining walls, I guestimate 2-3hrs, charged $200, so i'm covered if I run overtime atleast.

Comment

If you're ok with how you're running your bizness, I'm ok with that but I never give discounts after the job is completed just because I finished early. You'll never get ahead if you do.

Rocky, you really need to get your a whirly-whirly with heat and then no chemicals are needed. That 70m job should have gotten you about $96-100AU and you probably would've been gone in under an hour.

For driveways try charging $.13AU, you be much happier.

Comment

I understand that my machine doesn't even come close to what you guys would use. But the fact is that ATM, my primary service is window cleaning. The pressure cleaning side of things is really only something to keep me from going mad just cleaning windows all day everyday (get really boring after a while). So I cant really justify spending $5000 + on a decent machine. My machine wont run a bigger surface cleaner than the one I bought, and even if it could, the next size up costs nearly $1000 on its own, which is a huge cost considering I only paid $1500 all up for this setup, including the extra hose, lances, and whirly whirl.

I guess maybe i'll just have to stick to smaller stuff, but I don't think the people with the big machines charge much less if any than I do

Comment

Working...
                      X