No announcement yet.

Looking for landscaping recommendation.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for landscaping recommendation.

I have bought a new house with a rather steep hill in the backyard. I need landscaping done for the backyard to get around the hill. Does anyone have any experience with the steep hills and can anyone refer me to landscaping websites with tips and design ideas?

how steep?

On one side of my yard it is pretty steep down to a 3ft wide drainage ditch, I fixed it by getting some corn liquor before I started then by the end of the year I did not even need the corn liquor! Now I dont mow it but a couple of times a year when it really gets bad.

you could plant juniper in there as ground cover then you would only need to trim it 1-2 times a year. There are some other plants that will work but I can not think of them right off hand.
    Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
    Homer Simpson

Comment

show us several pics and we'll help ya but we need to know where in the U.S. are you.
      If you feel that you must burn our flag, please wrap yourself in it first.

Comment

We have a forum for tire kickers.......

But I can show you how to terrace.
        GEEVEE®, Pat.Pend. TM, UL

If you're gonna be dumb, you better be tough

Comment

Did Someone Say Corn Liquor ????????

Originally posted by OLD HAT View Post
          how steep?

On one side of my yard it is pretty steep down to a 3ft wide drainage ditch, I fixed it by getting some corn liquor before I started then by the end of the year I did not even need the corn liquor! Now I dont mow it but a couple of times a year when it really gets bad.

you could plant juniper in there as ground cover then you would only need to trim it 1-2 times a year. There are some other plants that will work but I can not think of them right off hand.
          where, where, yardboy help..............

steve-o
          "THE BADDEST LAWN APE ON THE PLANET"

Comment

I would suggest you to consult landscaping expert at Sprinklerman Cove Landscape. They provide very affordable edging, sprinkler and lawn care services.
            Landscaping Killeen

Comment

You frigging idiot. Nice play with the search engine crap. This thread from way back in 2007. This is not the activity the forum needs. :alien::alien::alien:
              2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 and future 2015 LSF RECEPTED AWARD recipient!

Hortikulture Kolledge Grad + Licensed Master Irrigator + Certified Backflow Technician +
              Licensed Fert & Squirt Applicator = Jack of all trades, master of none.

Comment

Successful Landscaper - Landscaper Helping Landscaper

Try this website http://www.successfullandscaper.com/

Successful Landscaper is a complete resource for landscape professional.

It has success courses, lowest prices online for landscape products, and other great resource for landscape professionals.

Comment

Re: Successful Landscaper - Landscaper Helping Landscaper

We provide the design and installation of many landscape construction projects by our expertise Landscape Designer in Bastrop, TX

Comment

Hope your area is not prone to landslide.

Comment

Hillside landscaping seems to be a daunting task to me. I have dealt with it a few years back in my old home. I do pay a lot of attention to all those stuff that can get my home a curb appeal. There is something intrinsically nice about our landscapes. I love the “feel-good” vibes I get from walking barefoot on the lawn or smelling a rose. When I and my husband moved into our new home in Calgary soon after our wedding, we had a similar situation, the only difference was we had our front yard sloped. The reason we bought a hillside home is for the landscape view, so I wanted a subordinate landscape design for the panoramic view. I tried some DIY tips initially, but it doesn’t seem to work. It’s always best to seek a professional service in situations like this. And one thing you have to keep in mind is that not all designers will be skilled to handle situations like this. So do a thorough background search before you hire someone. One more suggestion I would like to add is, when you cut the slope, take up the grade with a series of shorter terraces rather than one or two very large ones graded with cut and fill. This is to preserve your slopes because as we cut into the slopes, the topsoil will be removed and subsoils will be exposed eventually. Subsoils often, maybe heavy clays or shale that is poorly drained or lack microbial action of a living topsoil. This is the reason why my planting ideas failed in the initial stage. Later on consulting with a landscape designing company, we could bring out what we needed. Since you had asked for suggestion am sharing a blog that might be a help http://infinitygardens.ca/blog/ten-i...ing-solutions/. We had to move out soon, for my husband’s profession. I was almost heartbroken on this decision, I had so much for that house in a short time. But all that work on landscaping and other enhancement ideas got paid when we sold it. All these added more value to the house.

Comment

Live in northern Nevada and we have a ton of properties on hills and such and we've had a lot of work with steep hills. You can ask me questions if you'd like.

http://www.legendslandscaping.com/

Comment

You can terracing your hillside using stone, or tame it into small bits. You can also make a small rock garden on the sloping area. If the slope touches a road, it can be used to set up a garden. However, you'll need tough plants like shrubs and evergreen, which don't need to be frequently groomed.

Comment

Working...
                          X