World's Worst Yellow Page Ad

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• World's Worst Yellow Page Ad

Well boyz, GoshDamn's yellow page ad(s) are out....but is he still in business?

Gotta say....they're terrible, one in particular.

More later....I'll possibly scan it if I can. Textbook example of what not to do.
    2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 and future 2015 LSF RECEPTED AWARD recipient!

Hortikulture Kolledge Grad + Licensed Master Irrigator + Certified Backflow Technician +
    Licensed Fert & Squirt Applicator = Jack of all trades, master of none.

Found it!!!!!!!
    http://www.yellowbook.com/profile/la...CT=3&CS=2&AN=0
    I am the one and only YardRat! Just call me "The Rat"

Comment

Originally posted by yardboy View Post
      Yep, that's my ad in that book (small b/c the book itself isn't used by much of anyone, as I found out in a survey I conducted). I design my ads myself.....I do not let the phone book people do chit with em.....b/c they'll just end up my Gosh Damn's ad (and a lot of others)........more on that later.

Consider this a mini-crash coarse on ad development......
      2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 and future 2015 LSF RECEPTED AWARD recipient!

Hortikulture Kolledge Grad + Licensed Master Irrigator + Certified Backflow Technician +

Comment

I'll be heavily criticized for this -butt it's only for the benefit of fellow members

What is his message? There are many!?!?!? AHHHHHHh.....mixed messages..........
        Rule #1) Stick with only ONE message and run with it.

Coarse one he stole...."Spend more time where it matters most." <- original MM brainstorm
        Rule #2) BE ORIGINAL WITH YOUR ADVERTISING. Copying off others only gets you so far.

Can you find more rules that where broken?

In comparison, this ad is right next to the one above in the directory.....which one is more attractive to the prospect? Who gets the call? Both ads cost the same amount of money BTW.

More to follow......

Comment

We would only be guessing who gets the most calls i guess, the public can be very strange lol.

But i will have a go, the first one will get the most calls from Average Joes/Joans with a mixture of P.I.T.A.S thrown in for good luck.

The second ad will appeal to more upmarket and professonal type people, the ad looks more professonal and better laid out (and less busy).

Now heres a strange twist, when i did a business course a year and a half ago we were presented with two well written ads, we were asked to pick the one we thought was the best, us average Joes picked the one that was less busy but well written (like the 2nd ad here) the other ad was well written but very,very detailed itemising every little thing they do etc.

The first ad got the average Joes the 2nd got the upmarket people that like to read all the nitty gritty stuff and know exactly whats what.

But to answer your question the first ad will get the most calls from average familys, that picture with the family is a gem and will appeal to the women folk, 2nd gets the better class of customers

and if you are doing flyers you must put something that grabs there attention up the top and your business name always goes on the bottom.

on edit_ and the first offers seniors discounts, a great way to get more calls (from pitas as well lol)
          Last edited by Sandgroper; 10-22-07, 04:17 AM. Reason: mind your own business nosey bugger
          Top 10 PLACE GETTER, LSF'S MOST VALUBLE POSTER, 2007

Comment

and if you are doing flyers you must put something that grabs there attention up the top and your business name always goes on the bottom.
            Excellent point. Same with any ad if you'd ask me. Look, people either know who they're gonna call when they open the phone book, or they don't. There really is no guaranteed way to sway the people set on X company to call yours. However, you can grab alot of the people who don't know who to call, say like new residents in town. THEREFORE, by placing an attention grabing headline, you'll have hopefully caught their attention and they'll (at a minimum) glance over your ad and call you.

Rule #3) Noone cares about your business name/logo.......attract their attention instead, business name goes at bottom.

I could also argue the first ad is poorly written and waaay too cluttered. Noone is gonna read through all that crap.....their eyes will likely focus over to the less busy ad, in this case #2.

Rule #4) Keep ad clean

Interestingly, it also appears GD handed the ad rep a postcard of his and told them to design the ad around it. Search through the forum and you'll realize what I'm talking about, as he had posted the postcards he sent out.

Again, DO NOT LET phone directory graphic designers errr whatever the hell they are, design your ads. They don't know chiiit about getting results from your ads, neither do the advertising reps. The designer has a job piecing together ads (and many at that), the rep just wants to sell advertisements and collect their commission.

Rule #5) Design your own ad, if at all possible

The first ad, IMO, is nearly a complete waste of money.

More to follow.

Comment

Gee, I've see that ad before, That's your buddy, Getter er done's!!!!!!!:laughing::laughing::laughing:
              I am the one and only YardRat! Just call me "The Rat"

Comment

how redneck

I've seen GD's trucks around Manhattan and thought to myself, "Self, why would anyone want a truck with that name on it in front of their house?" Pretty original, and doesn't help the stereotype the midwest has either

Comment

Working...
                X