Starting up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starting up

Hello everyone!! Now I know this kind of thing has probably been posted on here a few hundred times for advice, but I have to ask for myself. I have had a serious itch to start up a mowing company and have a few general questions.
    Let me start by saying I've been in lawn care for the last 3 1/2 years. However not so much ( ok any!) mowing, but more the fertilization/weed control, pesticide, and a few other lawn maitenance things. I'm 28 years old and really feel like its time to do something on my own to provide more for my family. I make ok money now, but really not enough to support what I want for my family ( Wife, 1 daughter). Now I know there's probably even more than what I am aware of to start up a buisness, but bare with me, I am trying to do the research that I can here this winter. Ofcourse I have plenty of time now that my season is done with. Blah, blah, blah. Anyways, I feel I have even more of an opportunity to start mowing now, because the company that I plow for in the winter is also starting to do mowing next season on alot of there commercial accounts. This is one of the bigger plow companies in the Twin Cities Metro area, so they have a TON of plow accts that potentially over the next year should crossover to mowing as well. For there first season of it next year they want to subcontract out alot of these, if not all to start. So there's reason number 1. Number 2, the lawn care company that I work for now, is a smaller one now, but has more than doubled in size in the past 3 years that I have been there. From about 1500 customers to around 3500 now, and adding an average of 800-1000 per year. Its really been fun to watch, and be a part of!!! They do not currently do any mowing services and I dont believe he wants to anytime soon. The 2 owners of that company have really become like family to me and would love to help me out with referrals. We get ALOT of calls about mowing from what I gather. Plus a few othere "in's" that I have up my sleeve. In all I would say that I could initially be exposed to about 8000+ potential customers before I even start! Dont get me wrong I dont plan on going HUGE my first year, but its nice to know that I have that much exposure, and referalls.

Probably sounds like a no brainer, I'm sure, but I am trying to be smart about this and go into it knowing I am doing it right. Now I dont have questions about insurance, or how to apply for a name, and tax questions at the moment. However I do have some questions on start up costs. Mainly equipment related. And also taking out a small buisness loan to get started. Unfortunately my start up money does really not exist at the moment, and I pretty sure that a small loan would get things going. Now.....how much is a good starting amount for equipment?? To start, I would like 2 mowers , 1 48-52" rider, 1 stand behind possibly, and ofcourse blowers trimmers, and a trailer. This would be for a 2 man crew (myself, +1). And I would really like to shoot for around 35-45 accounts my first year. More would be great. Is that high for a first year goal? New or used? I was hoping to keep the loan around 10-12k. And are there any good sites for used equipment.

Any advice or thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks

Good day
    I started three years ago and bought a grasshopper out front 61" k725 new and a Yardman 21" mower selfpropeled. a trimmer a small hand held blower and went to work . Of course you have to have the means to get it to the job.
    The grasshopper is expensive but I have over(alot)500 hr on it and zero problems,No warrenty nothing just mow. The Yardman just a drive belt.
    I am 63 years and mow 24 yards. you are probably a lot younger and could do a lot more. I sure don't hurt myself and am not over worked. No comercial. The grasshopper made most of this possible as it does 2/3 of the trimming being able to get in close to objects and under evergreens also the speed it gets around.

Comment

Working...
    X