Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you interview your customers when they think they're interviewing you?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you interview your customers when they think they're interviewing you?

Do you ask them questions as well?

Here's a few I always ask;
    1. How much were you paying your previous/current maintenance company?
    2. How many maintainers have you had in the past year/12 months?
    3. Who is your current pesticide company?
    4. What exactly do you expect out of a lawn maintenance company?
    5. Is your irrigation system in full operational order?

This list isn't complete but it's a start.
    If you feel that you must burn our flag, please wrap yourself in it first.

I do to an extent, but I need to be more proactive about it. You can find out some important things if you ask just one simple question...
    2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 and future 2015 LSF RECEPTED AWARD recipient!

Hortikulture Kolledge Grad + Licensed Master Irrigator + Certified Backflow Technician +
    Licensed Fert & Squirt Applicator = Jack of all trades, master of none.

Comment

good thread scott...............

Originally posted by Scott View Post

Do you ask them questions as well?

Here's a few I always ask;

This list isn't complete but it's a start.
      out of your list, i only ask #3 and #5. i can tell if they had a service, but how many would be a good thing to know in case of a pita. i really never care what they were paying. i just give my price. as far as what they expect......i tell them what i do and how i do it. they can take it or leave it.

steve
      "THE BADDEST LAWN APE ON THE PLANET"

Comment

lie
        lie
        they will tell you that one if they have one
        they say they dont expect much, just that you do a good job... lie
        lie

buyers are liars...
        Dont bother asking questions that dont get you a yes answer.
        sigpic...............RƎVO˩UTION!...............

Comment

Originally posted by greenC View Post
          lie
          lie
          they will tell you that one if they have one
          they say they dont expect much, just that you do a good job... lie
          lie

buyers are liars...
          Dont bother asking questions that dont get you a yes answer.

so what do you ask them? or do you just nod?
          If you feel that you must burn our flag, please wrap yourself in it first.

Comment

Not all customers lie...and the ones that do need to be thrown to the curb.

Came across one a few weeks ago. Lady wasn't happy with her lawn service and canned them. They weren't trimming everything that needed it....basically you could tell they just wanted to get in and out like most lawn turds would.

I gave her my price. $125/cut. She thought that was very expensive. So I asked, "what where you paying?" She replies, "$62." I said something to in the lines of..."That was your problem. I cannot mow your lawn and have it look good for that price. I do good work, that's why Jayson recommended me. My rate is based off trimming everything. blah blah blah......"

Guess who got the job? Only b/c I asked???
            2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 and future 2015 LSF RECEPTED AWARD recipient!

Hortikulture Kolledge Grad + Licensed Master Irrigator + Certified Backflow Technician +

Comment

Originally posted by MASTERMOWER View Post
              .........basically you could tell they just wanted to get in and out like most lawn turds would.
              I guess you classify as a lawn turd. Doing the amount of yards solo you are getting in and out............Don't talk about other lawn maggots when you do the same thing........Hippocrit............................ .........:laughing::laughing::laughing:
              I am the one and only YardRat! Just call me "The Rat"

Comment

Originally posted by yardboy View Post
                I guess you classify as a lawn turd. Doing the amount of yards solo you are getting in and out............Don't talk about other lawn maggots when you do the same thing........Hippocrit............................ .........:laughing::laughing::laughing:
                Quality shows otherwise. It's just the art of mowing?

Comment

so what do you ask them? or do you just nod?
                  for lawn maintenance;
                  I dont ask them anything. They call my number. The lady gets the address and schedules a time for the estimate. I arrive, knock on door, introduce myself, give bussiness card and tell them I need to take a quick walk of the property to get some some measurements and take some notes. I tell them that it will take just 5-10 minutes and I will ring the bell when I am finished with the estimate.

I offer customers 3 different packages

Silver- bi-weekly service-mow, edge, line trim, blow
                  Gold- 40 cuts per year(weekly in summer months, bi-weekly winter months)
                  Platinum- same as gold plus we maintain bushes, hedges, beds, pavement weed control,ect...

When I am finished figureing the different packages I ring the bell, I show them the estimate sheet on my clipboard and go over the 3 options. When I am done explaing the packages and prices (takes about 1 minute) I simply say, We service your neiborhood on "Tuesdays" and can get you on the route as early as next week, Did you want to go with the Gold package or go ahead with the Platinum package?

I dont ask if they want service, I just assume the sale and give them two options. If they just want silver they will let me know at this point, or if they dont like my price or they arent sure yet, then I take the time to ask a few questions. I might even use question #1 "how much are you paying your current lawn company" but only after being told my price is too high. And then after they answer follow it up with a secondary question like

"Well, its obvious that your not 100% satified with your current service, is that right? yes. Okay, and if everything was done properly and when its expected to be done, you probably wouldnt mind investing a few extra dollars a month on the appearence of your home, Right? Well, yes. Great... Now you dont know me and I dont know you, but all I ask is for you to give me 10% of your trust and I'll earn the other 90. We do great work and I gaurantee you will be happy with the results, most of our bussiness we get from word of mouth advertising, so we want you to be happy so that you will tell all your friends and neihbors about us. That makes sense right? yea... Great, so did you want to go with the Gold or the Platinum package? Gold Do you want us to start this Tuesday, or the beginning of next month? Start at the beginning of the month. Okay great... you got the sale

The key is to get the customer agreeing with you. Then just give two options, gold or silver, this week or next week. ect...

Comment

,,,,,,,,,,,do you want the lawn turd or lawn ape service ?
                    Top 10 PLACE GETTER, LSF'S MOST VALUBLE POSTER, 2007

Comment

Where's the lawn ape?

Originally posted by greenC View Post
                      I arrive, knock on door, introduce myself, give bussiness card and tell them I need to take a quick walk of the property to get some some measurements and take some notes. I tell them that it will take just 5-10 minutes and I will ring the bell when I am finished with the estimate.
                      You measure & take notes? Sounds like a Pro, no Lawn Ape here. (Period)

I offer customers 3 different packages

Silver- bi-weekly service-mow, edge, line trim, blow
                      Gold- 40 cuts per year(weekly in summer months, bi-weekly winter months)
                      Platinum- same as gold plus we maintain bushes, hedges, beds, pavement weed control,ect...
                      Oh no this makes sense too. Definitely a Pro. Offering options, giving them choices is far better than saying I'll cut your Yard. "Cut your yard" sounds so tiny, easy, quick, shot gunned, so brash? Good Key Words, Service - Maintain. Gold Service, Platinum Maintance...

When I am finished figureing the different packages I ring the bell, I show them the estimate sheet on my clipboard and go over the 3 options. When I am done explaing the packages and prices (takes about 1 minute) I simply say, We service your neiborhood on "Tuesdays" and can get you on the route as early as next week, Did you want to go with the Gold package or go ahead with the Platinum package?
                      Go for it, Close in for the kill. Just say no to BS'ing around. Just do it!

I dont ask if they want service, I just assume the sale and give them two options. If they just want silver they will let me know at this point, or if they dont like my price or they arent sure yet, then I take the time to ask a few questions. I might even use question #1 "how much are you paying your current lawn company" but only after being told my price is too high. And then after they answer follow it up with a secondary question like
                      Always close for the sale, you do not assume anything except they called you here & they're thinking about using your service. You just have to get them to agree to it & sign the dotted line. No More & No Less!

"Well, its obvious that your not 100% satified with your current service, is that right? yes. Okay, and if everything was done properly and when its expected to be done, you probably wouldnt mind investing a few extra dollars a month on the appearence of your home, Right? Well, yes. Great... Now you dont know me and I dont know you, but all I ask is for you to give me 10% of your trust and I'll earn the other 90. We do great work and I gaurantee you will be happy with the results, most of our bussiness we get from word of mouth advertising, so we want you to be happy so that you will tell all your friends and neihbors about us. That makes sense right? yea... Great, so did you want to go with the Gold or the Platinum package? Gold Do you want us to start this Tuesday, or the beginning of next month? Start at the beginning of the month. Okay great... you got the sale

The key is to get the customer agreeing with you. Then just give two options, gold or silver, this week or next week. ect...
                      You must have control of the conversation, they are thinking about using you or they wouldn't have called you. Close the sale. I wouldn't say "next month anything", say I can prorate it & this will be your first months bill, this includes servicing you next Tuesday & of course the following Tuesday, the last Tuesday of the month.. The sooner I can work you in on Tuesdays the better. A few more bids this week & I'll be booked for this area or A few more bids this weekend & I'll then have to make room on this areas route?

Sounds like you have your act together... Give em Hell!

When I'm trying to sell equipment, I can go through my whole sales pitch in less than 15 minutes. Then every so often after my spill, I say Would you like for me to service this out for you? May I get this ready for you? What ya say you ready to replace that old mower? Are you ready to take this home?

I never ever wait until they volenteer to make the purchase, I don't have that much time. They come to me looking to purchase one of my products, I'm going to sell them something or I move on.
                      GrassMaster, LSF Administrator!
                      LawnPro - Lawn Care Business Software:
                      www.lawnbook.com --- www.lawnservicing.com

Comment

Originally posted by GrassMaster View Post
                        I wouldn't say "next month anything", say I can prorate it & this will be your first months bill, this includes servicing you next Tuesday & of course the following Tuesday, the last Tuesday of the month.. The sooner I can work you in on Tuesdays the better..
                        the reason I give the option of begining of the month is that many times they are changing and will give there current service notice and let the other company finish out the rest month.

Comment

now hold on there grassmaster.............

[QUOTE=GrassMaster;182741]You measure & take notes? Sounds like a Pro, no Lawn Ape here. (Period)

don't be bashing us LAWN APES. some of us LAWN APES are very sucessfull with our barbaric methods. you have many on this forum. some are proud LAWN APES and some are in the closet LAWN APES. as far as you know, that damn dog roscoe might even be a LAWN APE. watch your back there grassmaster, we are everywhere................ now back to nascar and football.

steve-o
                          "THE BADDEST LAWN APE ON THE PLANET"

Comment

Working...
                          X