No announcement yet.

Holy smokes....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Been without power since 1:30AM yesterday. Power finally came back on about 15 minutes ago. What's that? 30 hours? As of last night, 1/2 of Riley county was without power.

Nothing but chaos around here. Can't even tell you how much ice we got. Last I knew it was at 1/2 inch, but that was at 10PM Monday. The rain persisted to about mid morning yesterday.

Roads where never that bad, but the falling tree limbs poised serious safety hazards. Some utility poles where snapped in half like tooth picks as well. We where told by the city to conserve water and be restrictive with sewer use. City water is pumped from huge electric wells. Power to those went out...just like everywhere else. They hauled in a generator to power one of them. We where basically told the only water we had left was sitting in the water towers.

Gonna spend most of today dealing with the aftermath of the storm.
    2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 and future 2015 LSF RECEPTED AWARD recipient!

Hortikulture Kolledge Grad + Licensed Master Irrigator + Certified Backflow Technician +
    Licensed Fert & Squirt Applicator = Jack of all trades, master of none.

Comment

got a pallet today at sams they sold 16 in less than 2 hours.

Comment

Ice melt is the least of anyones worries around here. I still have about 1/2 ton, but the focus is moving onto cutting out fallen trees and tree limbs. Last I heard, half of Manhattan is still without power. I guess the wife and I are damn lucky. We invited two couples who've been without power over tonight for the chance to take a shower and a chili supper.

Gonna post some pictures of the ice shortly. 1" total is what I heard. Could be more, could be less....no real way to tell.
        2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 and future 2015 LSF RECEPTED AWARD recipient!

Hortikulture Kolledge Grad + Licensed Master Irrigator + Certified Backflow Technician +

Comment

best wishs. watched the news. we were spared but ganna get the snow this weekend

Comment

swingers......
            "THE BADDEST LAWN APE ON THE PLANET"

Comment

Got some photos...

Anyone remember this Bradford? They all look like this across town.

KSU

Nothing...

These where taken yesterday morning....the damage has only become much worse. I've heard FEMA will arrive for assistance at some point. KS National Guard is gonna arrive and help clean out the streets. Some people without power have been told to not expect it back on until around the 22nd of December.

Comment

Dang. Quite a mess. SD electric co-ops are send crews down to help restore power.
                Noli nothis permittere te terere

Comment

Originally posted by LindblomRJ View Post
                  Dang. Quite a mess. SD electric co-ops are send crews down to help restore power.
                  Yeap...and they ain't the only ones coming in. This morning I saw arborists from Indiana. I might be wrong about this, but I believe I heard Westar Energy (the electric co here) is putting 1000 tree trimming crews out on the streets throughout the effected areas on Kansas to cut limbs away from the power lines. Just driving down any street here you gotta dodge fallen tree limbs. Some roads are just impassable. It's nearly a maze to drive around town. Schools will be closed for 3 days straight tomorrow. I'd suspect they'll cancel for Friday as well. The Manhattan Mercury newspaper set up shop at the universities newspaper office and had to hire a local printing company to run off copies of todays edition.

Everything is just weird. It looks and feels as if a tornado sweep through here.

Comment

Its just as bad here in Hutchinson. Got lots of cleanups lined up. This is a bad situation of course, but the extra money going into winter sure is nice.
                    Hutchinson, Kansas

Comment

Was working close by a North Carolina tree trimming company today. They just got here last night. Dudes said they where freezing, meanwhile I was sawing fallen limbs wearing a long sleeve t-shirt. But the good thing is that the temp reached around 37 today....provided a lot of relief to the trees.

Calling for 5-7" of snow tomorrow night.

Comment

We Got The Lite Side Of What You Got But Will Get THat Same Band Of Snow This Time Tommorow

Comment

concider-consider

Originally posted by MASTERMOWER View Post
                          Was working close by a North Carolina tree trimming company today. They just got here last night. Dudes said they where freezing, meanwhile I was sawing fallen limbs wearing a long sleeve t-shirt. But the good thing is that the temp reached around 37 today....provided a lot of relief to the trees.

Calling for 5-7" of snow tomorrow night.
                          where-were......................

steve
                          "THE BADDEST LAWN APE ON THE PLANET"

Comment

Originally posted by clclawn View Post
                            mm, I just map quested it, I'm 11 hours 16 min away.

For an extra $200, I'll swing by spotty's house on my way while he's out of town and grap his trailer full of equipment and give it to you.
                            haha.......equipment was locked up in garage. the only thing you would have gotten would have been either a 5' x 8' trailer or a 6' x 12' trailer. i always have room in the garage for my equipment, just don't see the sense in loading and unloading it on a daily basis in the summer. unless there predicting rain over night i leave it on the trailer so i don't have to load up every morning. i just hop in the truck and go.

Comment

Working...
                            X