Paddle/scraper bar life

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paddle/scraper bar life

Seems I just replaced the rubber paddles and plastic scraper bar on my Toro 2450 snow blower. I'll be damned if I already wore out the scraper bar again, just after 2 days of use??? Paddles still have some life in them, but what gives??

I do suspect the replacements where not Toro parts, just aftermarkets. The dealer was browsing an Oregon spec catalog when pulling the parts off the shelves.

But yeah, what gives? Am I too hard on eqt?
    2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 and future 2015 LSF RECEPTED AWARD recipient!

Hortikulture Kolledge Grad + Licensed Master Irrigator + Certified Backflow Technician +
    Licensed Fert & Squirt Applicator = Jack of all trades, master of none.

Did you put them on correctly ?

Quality Is Good ©

Comment

Yessssss....

Well, upon further inspection, it isn't completely worn out...yet. But there is significant wear already. I went ahead and purchased another replacement to have on hand.
      2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 and future 2015 LSF RECEPTED AWARD recipient!

Hortikulture Kolledge Grad + Licensed Master Irrigator + Certified Backflow Technician +
      Licensed Fert & Squirt Applicator = Jack of all trades, master of none.

Comment

I replaced all paddles and scrapers at the beginning of the year and had to replace about half after second snow and the rest after the third.

You have to remember that we usually put the equiptment through more in one night than most people will in the lifetime of their blower.
        Life ain't nothin' but *****es and MONEY. Ice Cube

Comment

I don't know what you guys are doing to those machines. I have 6 3650's and a couple of those little snow pups from toro. I've had them all two years and have not had to replace anything but a sparkplug in any of them. After this winter i am going to change out the paddles.

Comment

Maybe he put a proslide behind it...

I used some doing commercial duty on some really nasty broken up walks, 8-12 hours per average snowfall, and got two seasons out of the bars and paddles.

I'd get Toro parts.

Comment

Originally posted by ahlgrenlandscaping View Post
              I don't know what you guys are doing to those machines. I have 6 3650's and a couple of those little snow pups from toro. I've had them all two years and have not had to replace anything but a sparkplug in any of them. After this winter i am going to change out the paddles.
              Agreed.

You guys are using the machines wrong. I have seen employees do this. They will weear down a new bar in one snow event. My longest running snow guys won't wear them down in a year.....or 2 or 3.

You don't lift up on the back of the machine. Let the machine do the work. You don't push the machine really hard on the driveway. A small push will keep it moving. It will pull itself along just fine.

If the bar is installed correctly (which is almost impossible not to do), it should last you for a LONG time.

I rarely have to replace them. If you do, you must be throwing gravel and sand or you are just not using it right.
              a.k.a.---> Erich

www.avalawnlandscaping.com

Build a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.
              Set a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Comment

Originally posted by Scaper-S2k View Post
                Agreed.

You guys are using the machines wrong. I have seen employees do this. They will weear down a new bar in one snow event. My longest running snow guys won't wear them down in a year.....or 2 or 3.

You don't lift up on the back of the machine. Let the machine do the work. You don't push the machine really hard on the driveway. A small push will keep it moving. It will pull itself along just fine.

If the bar is installed correctly (which is almost impossible not to do), it should last you for a LONG time.

I rarely have to replace them. If you do, you must be throwing gravel and sand or you are just not using it right.
                I have spent around 1k this winter replacing parts on my toro's (7 of them), I couldn't figure out why when i used to snow blow, i didn't have that problem, but now that i'm in the truck, the guys blow through the crap like crazy. I thought it was because of the amount of time they are beeing used, but if you guys are running 12+ hours, my guys must just be dumb.

Comment

I let one employee use an older Toro snowblower 2 years ago. We put new paddles on it and scraper the year prior and it still looked fine.

Well, this was his first time using it. I told him not to lift up on the back or push like crazy on the machine.

He didn't listen. Next day I saw that the paddles looked like they were sent through the blade grinder. A good 1/2" was taken off of them!

He admitted that he forgot.

The machine should almost pull itself along.
                  a.k.a.---> Erich

www.avalawnlandscaping.com

Build a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.
                  Set a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Comment

Originally posted by Scaper-S2k View Post
                    I let one employee use an older Toro snowblower 2 years ago. We put new paddles on it and scraper the year prior and it still looked fine.

Well, this was his first time using it. I told him not to lift up on the back or push like crazy on the machine.

He didn't listen. Next day I saw that the paddles looked like they were sent through the blade grinder. A good 1/2" was taken off of them!

He admitted that he forgot.

The machine should almost pull itself along.

Come on erich, just say it, my guys are dumb. I'll feel much better.

One of my guys was b!tchen that the blower with the new scraper was getting hung up too much. The next day i'm at the shop checking things over and the SOB took the scraper off and f-ed up the housing.

Now say it with me, my guys are dumb.

Comment

Working...
                    X