A few responses from another help wanted ad

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A few responses from another help wanted ad

I posted another ad and so far I've received about 60 responses in the last two days so I guess I can be a bit more picky this time around.

I told them all that I'll be at a certain place for two hours for a generalized meet n greet and to fill out a pre-application form. Then I'll rack/stack em accordingly.

Now here I am, haven't even hired anybody yet and the drama starts;

I can't make it that day, my wife has to work that day.
    ... can't make it that early, I'm going night fishing on tuesday
    must be nice :laughing:

can you pick me up?
    Could I make it another day, I have to go to court that day and if they find me guilty,,,
    Can I just call you instead?
    and my personal favorite
    Mr Nelson it is an honor to be able to speak with you. This is T_____ mother and he needs a job real bad,,, we'll be there...
    heheheehee

My daddy says he knows you real good, his name is ....
    I won't hold it against you
    If you feel that you must burn our flag, please wrap yourself in it first.

Please tell me you still ain't looking for winners on craigslist!???!? I'd compare that to searching through a dumpster. :alien::alien::alien:

2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 and future 2015 LSF RECEPTED AWARD recipient!

Hortikulture Kolledge Grad + Licensed Master Irrigator + Certified Backflow Technician +
    Licensed Fert & Squirt Applicator = Jack of all trades, master of none.

Comment

well I'm glad you are the expert in yet another area.

Tell us again how many employees you've had and just how did you obtain them?

Comment

Yeah, and you the bad ass...

Originally posted by Scott View Post
        well I'm glad you are the expert in yet another area.

Tell us again how many employees you've had and just how did you obtain them?
        Scott, it's just funny you post these. It's as if you are surprised at the responses, yet you shouldn't be being as how craigslist is full of those types. Maybe you jest posted them for good humor???

But seriously, have you tried any other way to advertise your job openings?
        2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 and future 2015 LSF RECEPTED AWARD recipient!

Hortikulture Kolledge Grad + Licensed Master Irrigator + Certified Backflow Technician +

Comment

from my experience all you have to do is post a classified ad in the newspaper in the section where your looking for business and you should get at least 1 call a week from someone who saw your ad in the paper looking for a job :laughing::laughing:

Comment

One day I came down to the shop and there was a note on the door that started out:

"Sir Erich, it would be a real pleasure working for you........" It was about 1 full paragraph long on a small dirty piece of paper.

Kind of strange.
            a.k.a.---> Erich

www.avalawnlandscaping.com

Build a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.
            Set a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Comment

It's called being resourceful, dirty paper is all I had.....

Originally posted by Scaper-S2k View Post
              One day I came down to the shop and there was a note on the door that started out:

"Sir Erich, it would be a real pleasure working for you........" It was about 1 full paragraph long on a small dirty piece of paper.

Kind of strange.
              I'm still upset you never replied back. :alien::alien::alien:

Comment

Today was the meet n greet. About 1/2 of the responses showed up as expected, met some guys that really had their act together.
                Called everybody's prior company that was local and some of the responses was expected, "that guy sucks", and then I got a few good responses too, "oh man, I wish I had the work to keep that guy".

and OH, you should've heard the sob stories on how they have to have this job and start today! Like I owed it to them or something.
                one amigo showed up and I had to ask him if he had proof of citizenship or visa, "oh yes,, I have social security # (as his eyes veered off), I work hard".

One guy that I hired was a crew leader for a large local company that just laid off 2 entire crews last January and has been doing whatever to make it since. The other guy that I'm hiring seems bright and is willing to work. His previous experience is with decks/fences, and framing. Hopefully his past experience will pan out here and there.

I'll probably never hire again on the spot w/o looking at several ppl to chose from. There are too many hard working ppl that need jobs and I don't want to take the time to train somebody just to have them flake out on me in a month.

Comment

Sounds pretty good. Like you said, there are a LOT of good people looking for jobs right now, even part time.

I haven't hired anyone yet this year even though I could use some extra help. I decided to work more hours myself and bank the extra $$$$. Looks like my home siding project I've been doing myself is going to have to wait until next year to be totally completed.......because I don't have much time to spare.
                  a.k.a.---> Erich

Comment

Did the same thing not long ago. Got 60 responses in 3 days. Only two showed up for interviews and I didn't hire either of them. Instead I hired the younger brother of one of my guys.

Problem now is that I have three brothers (one only does snow) and there really good friend working for me. These guys are all grinders, gotta love it. No complaining and lots of what can I do now. If I'm not careful there gonna start their own union.
                    Life ain't nothin' but *****es and MONEY. Ice Cube

Comment

Originally posted by MASTERMOWER View Post
                      Please tell me you still ain't looking for winners on craigslist!???!? I'd compare that to searching through a dumpster. :alien::alien::alien:

Yet again you are wrong about employee issues.

You have more flexability then any other methoid
                      you get a better respones then the paper and its free
                      You screen a large% of losers out because its internet based
                      it allows you to be anonymouse if you want.

But then again you know everything there is to know about everything

Comment

when you guys hire a new guy that has no experience and have to train them what do you start with as far as training? the mowers, the trimmers?

seems to me the mowers would be a smart choice because how bad could they really screw up the lawn. the trimmer could cause more trouble with scalpping the grass. if you start with the mowers then when you do train them on the trimmer they know where to trim because they already know where the mower can't reach.

on the other hand i would be inclined to train them on the trimmer first because what i consider the "sheot" part of the job and i'd rather be running the mower and having someone else trim most of the time.

when i work i trim first then mow so thats why i said the guy would know where to trim because he would know where the mower can't reach.

Comment

I always train on the mowers first. Anyone can quickly learn how to mow. Teaching someone to trim properly takes more time.
                          a.k.a.---> Erich

Comment

ha! I start them on the edger! then they graduate to the trimmers. I have several yards that require push mow and that's the only mowing they're gonna get for a while with the exception of bermuda. I don't let them mow my bermuda yards until I know they can cut straight. As far as the ztr's or larger mowers, they do my vacant lots until I feel that they can control themselves on it.

Comment

if/when the time comes for me to hire someone i think i'll try really hard to look for someone experienced.

i'm gonna be hung up on this issue because of what i said before. if i hire someone i'll be inclined to make them do the things i don't especially like doing, string trimming being the big one. i don't especially care for it. now i'm sure eventually i'll enjoy switching things up. i've had some free help here and there when i fall to far behind due to too much rain and that help string strims and blowed off the hardscapes while i spend the entire day on the mower. after those days it's nice to go back to trimming as well.

i never let my help mow because he can't mow a straight line unless your talking push mowers and then it's not even as straight and i want it.

Comment

Working...
                              X