Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How would you landscape this front?

Focal point is that monster entrance.
    My focal pts will change as the seasons change with the blooming of different plants (well that's my theory).

I started with height; crepes, camellia j, camellia s, rose tree, then azaleas, then crinums, daylily, agapanthus at mailbox with perennials in planter. Ended up with 8 different plants vs three from the previous landscaper. I'm gonna add a 3rd crepe and then put some walking iris between the 2nd and 3rd crepes.

The homeowner also has a handful of cycads that I'm gonna move over to the side and add some to mix it up.
    If you feel that you must burn our flag, please wrap yourself in it first.

Default Something about that entrance just doesn't look right...

I dunno, figure the entrance was the focal point, as it should be. But yet it's so damn massive. Could use some tall plants off to the side (and behind the house) to help balance it out (and frame the house out as well) so the massive entrance doesn't look so unproportional to the rest. I don't know crap about Florida plants.....can't assist you there. With the three peaks, is there anything taller and pyramidal you can put in there? This one seems like a real challenge.
    2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 and future 2015 LSF RECEPTED AWARD recipient!

Hortikulture Kolledge Grad + Licensed Master Irrigator + Certified Backflow Technician +
    Licensed Fert & Squirt Applicator = Jack of all trades, master of none.

The biggest problem with this is the entrance,, you can't ignore it. If this house was on a larger property, I would toss in a few 20ft+ Washingtonian palms and a carnary but another problem is the leech field is the front yard. So I was stuck there.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott View Post
    The biggest problem with this is the entrance,, you can't ignore it. If this house was on a larger property, I would toss in a few 20ft+ Washingtonian palms and a carnary but another problem is the leech field is the front yard. So I was stuck there.
    Yeeeeeeeah, the architect is a moron. At least you are aware of the problem. Only so much you can do.
    2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 and future 2015 LSF RECEPTED AWARD recipient!

Hortikulture Kolledge Grad + Licensed Master Irrigator + Certified Backflow Technician +
    Licensed Fert & Squirt Applicator = Jack of all trades, master of none.

Blow up the house and start over?

you guys should see the inside,, IN-CRED-eh?-BLE!

Default Underground Lines...........

here in hooterville those kind of houses have no over-head lines.

steve-o
    "THE BADDEST LAWN APE ON THE PLANET"

are you using landscape pro for the visuals????

I would add two sego palms to form an entrance but you know they get large so keep them from hitting the walk in full size... people always plant them to close to the walk ways.

I am not a cryape myrtle fan, but they seem to fit this house well, and will offer summer blooms "good choice".

I would look into some sweet potato vine, does well in the sun, and maybe a couple of azaleas to frame. I would also use pine straw "very plentiful there" and add some sort of sitting bench at the end of that weird pad framed by two large planters. Thats just me but it would distract the eye from the insane dimensions of the home.

Also that gaudy monochromatic crimson/maroon brick color would be offset nicely I think with white and red crape myrtels. I would also consider a lemon or kumquat along side the house, or maybe framing the corner with a little gem magnolia, those are my just about fail proof choices for that area, my family lives in Daphne.

I would also go with two espaliered small trees, like lemon, lime, or kumquat next to the garadge window, or you could create a trellis with a climing vine like a bougainvillea depending on where your at zone 8 is pushing it but if its south facing possible, or maybe a mandavellia.