How would you landscape this front?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How would you landscape this front?

I know the cleanup and cover up isn't the greatest but I'm working on it.

I have to landscape these areas and then along the garage wall and then something by the right pillar. You can't see it but on the far right window, there's a pathway next the house. I was thinking about putting something there to balance it out a bit. Homeowners hates the boring hawthornes and wants mucho more color. She loves hemerocallis and I would assume other bulbs by the way she talked

Here's the ISO unedited
    If you feel that you must burn our flag, please wrap yourself in it first.

Sounds good. You need some height to make the house look more in scale.

Comment

Chamaecyparis Obtusa Compacta or Picea glauca 'Conica' would give some height and be slow grows for close to a structure. Hibiscus trees will add color but might not make it through the winter (or deer).

Ron Howard: Is that... vodka... and wheat grass?
      Homer: It's called a "lawnmower". I invented it. Want one?

Comment

Originally posted by 1Chavez View Post
        Hibiscus trees will add color but might not make it through the winter (or deer).
        In florida???

Comment

Why Not?

Originally posted by clclawn View Post
          In florida???
          northern florida has pretty much 4 seasons. not all of florida is where Flipper lived. :laughing:

steve-o
          "THE BADDEST LAWN APE ON THE PLANET"

Comment

yeah we're in zone 8a/8b,, our winters are short though Feb is about it.

man,, I'm so p.o'd I had a huge write up here and accidentally deleted it, so please bear with me if I don't quite detail this out.

Here's my foo-foo design. Please be kind, creative but truthful. This pic is also very deceiving because not everything blooms at the same time and I have limited pics to chose from.

Working L-R
            Siloam daylilies on either side of 3 shi-shi gashira camellias which are planted in a triangle. The rose tree is shown better in the 1st pic. Next to the wall is a loropetalum that the homeowner wants to keep. I also planted the same lilies on three sides of that. Next to the loropetalum are pink ruffle azaleas on a semi circle around an upright camellia(std form, not sure on the exact one just yet, would like the blooms to contrast all that red brick.) Then I'd have a large planting of crinums, mainly pink powelliis with a few jagus(white) tossed in to break it up. THen more azaleas circling a pink velour crepe myrtle.
            1st to bloom in November would be the shi-shi gashira camellia, then the other camellia (japonica) in Feb, azaleas in mar/apr, then the bulbs throughout the spring/summer.

I also thought about moving the other or adding a third crepe near the other pillar. Just havent' taken time to plug it in to see how it'd look.

Also what you don't see is the mailbox, it has a semi circle of agapanthus, about 30 split in half by the walkway.

Comment

Originally posted by delasgh View Post
              northern florida has pretty much 4 seasons. not all of florida is where Flipper lived. :laughing:

steve-o
              I assumed due to the palm trees in his area that the winter was mild enough for most anything.

Comment

here's the mailbox with agapanthus

Comment

I Would Have Thought The Same Thing...............

Originally posted by clclawn View Post
                  I assumed due to the palm trees in his area that the winter was mild enough for most anything.
                  i know from entering florida off of I-95 in the winter that they have their palms all wrapped up until you get way past jax. good post scott also.

steve
                  "THE BADDEST LAWN APE ON THE PLANET"

Comment

Looks pretty good, but corners need to be softened a bit more, thinking more like the garage wall. More variation would be nice too (looks like you found 4-5 plants to work and called it good), but that's all client's taste. Also, what is the focal point?

I see you got your truck logoed....didn't use the LSF theme eh?
                    2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 and future 2015 LSF RECEPTED AWARD recipient!

Hortikulture Kolledge Grad + Licensed Master Irrigator + Certified Backflow Technician +
                    Licensed Fert & Squirt Applicator = Jack of all trades, master of none.

Comment

Focal point is that monster entrance.
                      My focal pts will change as the seasons change with the blooming of different plants (well that's my theory).

I started with height; crepes, camellia j, camellia s, rose tree, then azaleas, then crinums, daylily, agapanthus at mailbox with perennials in planter. Ended up with 8 different plants vs three from the previous landscaper. I'm gonna add a 3rd crepe and then put some walking iris between the 2nd and 3rd crepes.

The homeowner also has a handful of cycads that I'm gonna move over to the side and add some to mix it up.

Comment

Something about that entrance just doesn't look right...

I dunno, figure the entrance was the focal point, as it should be. But yet it's so damn massive. Could use some tall plants off to the side (and behind the house) to help balance it out (and frame the house out as well) so the massive entrance doesn't look so unproportional to the rest. I don't know crap about Florida plants.....can't assist you there. With the three peaks, is there anything taller and pyramidal you can put in there? This one seems like a real challenge.
                        2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 and future 2015 LSF RECEPTED AWARD recipient!

Hortikulture Kolledge Grad + Licensed Master Irrigator + Certified Backflow Technician +

Comment

The biggest problem with this is the entrance,, you can't ignore it. If this house was on a larger property, I would toss in a few 20ft+ Washingtonian palms and a carnary but another problem is the leech field is the front yard. So I was stuck there.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott View Post
                            The biggest problem with this is the entrance,, you can't ignore it. If this house was on a larger property, I would toss in a few 20ft+ Washingtonian palms and a carnary but another problem is the leech field is the front yard. So I was stuck there.
                            Yeeeeeeeah, the architect is a moron. At least you are aware of the problem. Only so much you can do. :alien::alien::alien:

Comment

Blow up the house and start over?

Comment

Working...
                              X