• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Echo SRM-225 trimmer bought at Home Depot stalls when sideways

New Echo SRM-225 trimmer bought at Home Depot stalls when sideways

Question..

History
    ----------
    I have used this trimmer three times, for weed eating and edging after mowing. To do my weed eating and edging uses approximately ½ of gas.

Two of the times, after weed eating completed (maybe took 25 to 40 minutes and worked trimmer worked perfect) and starting to edge, the trimmer engine quit after about 1 ½ to 2 minutes of being turned sideways to edge. The gas tank was ½ full at this point.

I suspected a fuel pickup problem with maybe the fuel filter not being at bottom of tank, so the third time I used the trimmer, I filled the gas tank full, in between weed eating and edging, so the gas tank was full when I started edging and it seemed to work OK when I turned it sidways to edge (It did not die on me)..

The Echo webpage, under FAQs states, question: “Can my unit be turned/operated on its side or any angle?” Answer: “All ECHO products can be operated on its side or at any angle. ECHO utilizes all-position diaphragm carburetors with every 2-stroke engine to provide smooth operation at any angle.”

My question
    ----------------
    I went back to Home Depot (since I was within my 30 days) and exchanged the trimmer for another one thinking maybe I got a bad one. The lady who sold it to me stated that I could not hold the trimmer sideways when trimming in the position with the carburetor on the bottom or the fuel would run back into the carburetor and stall the engine. She stated she had previously worked for a small engine repair shop and knew what she was talking about.

Is she correct ? Must I edge with the carburetor on top, not on the bottom ? Seems like the Echo Homepage states operate any angle ! I agree maybe should not store on it's side when not in use, but should be able to run sideways.. I had a Sthil that I always turned on it’s side to edge with, with the carburetor down, and it never stalled on me.

By the way I’m using new fresh fuel 89 octane and using the Echo Power Blend oil that came with trimmer to mix 50:1; 2.6 oz of Echo Power Blend oil to one gallon of 89 octance.

I have tested the New Echo I got today after returning the old one to Home Depot. I tested it with ½ tank of gas sideways with carburetor on the top and seems to work OK did not stall. Have not tested it yet sideways with carburetor on the bottom.

Please let me know, run sideways carburetor on bottom OK or not ??

Thanks in advance for replies

update...

I tested the new Echo trimmer that I exchanged yesterday at Home Dept. It does the same thing as the previous one. At 1/2 tank of fuel, if turned sideways, with carburetor down, engine quits within 1 to 2 minutes. If sideways, with carburetor up, it runs OK and engine does not die.

Also, If I run it sideways with a full tank of fuel (as opposed to 1/2 tank) it will run sideways, either way carburetor up or down with no problem (engine does not quit).

I guess I have a workable situation-> after I finish my weedeating each time after I mow, I need to top of my fuel tank off with gas, before I start my edging with trimmer turned sideways.

This is an OK solution as a homeowner, but If I had a lawn service (which I use to have about eight years ago) this trimmer would not be a good tool professionally. Could not top off tank every time I needed to edge.

I suspect a less than perfect fuel pickup issue with (fuel pickup line/filter position within the tank) this model.

feedback welcome..

Thanks

Comment

quick side note...

Other than the sideways issue with this Echo trimmer, everything else is great.

This trimmer is obviously quality built and for the $220 I paid is a very good value.

It starts easy, has plenty of power for normal yard stuff, and even for some to the light ditch work around the perimeter of my yard. The idle is great and the weight and handling of it is exceptional.

In the $200 to $220 price range this Echo SRM-225 and the Stihl FS-55 are probably a couple of the best trimmers for the price.

Comment

One Question For You Mr. Home Owner?????

if the stihl fs-55 was so good, then why switch to the echo????? all my two cycle stuff is echo with no problems. to each his own........

steve-oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
        "THE BADDEST LAWN APE ON THE PLANET"

Comment

I switched to the Echo because after about ten years with my stihl FS-55 (including about two years using it in my lawn service) it finally gave up the ghost. I had $135 store credit with Home Depot that I could not afford not to use and Home Depot sold Echo, not Stihl. My local ACE hardware had the Stihl FS-55 for $200 but I did not have the store credit with ACE, I had it with Home Depot. Hence, I bought the Echo. I use to live in central Texas where many of the lawn services used Echo so I know the quality is good. I consider Echo and Stihl quality to be neck-and-neck so I'm sure I can expect a long service life from my new Echo trimmer, just like I received from my previous Stihl trimmer.

Comment

Sounds Like A Good Answer...............

can't help with the sideways deal. my stuff only burps when near M/T and i don't let that happen often.

steve-ooooooo
            "THE BADDEST LAWN APE ON THE PLANET"

Comment

Prob just stiff fuel line my tanaka did the same thing but after a few weeks is fine

Comment

Those so-called experts...

They can do that....not a real problem, just a nuisance. When edging, periodically return to the normal trim position to allow the line to fill with gas. The Home Cheapo lady doesn't know what she's talking about. You can hold that trimmer anyway you want. :alien::alien::alien:
                2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 and future 2015 LSF RECEPTED AWARD recipient!

Hortikulture Kolledge Grad + Licensed Master Irrigator + Certified Backflow Technician +
                Licensed Fert & Squirt Applicator = Jack of all trades, master of none.

Comment

Working...
                X