Transformers keep going bad!?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transformers keep going bad!?

I have a customer with a Hunter Pro-C controller. Original one was installed 2006. Last year had to replace the face plate as the original went bonkers. They called up today stating their transformer was bad and needed a new one. Figured quick and easy fix. I drove one over and installed it...but nothing! :alien::alien::alien:

Checked the outlet, 122 volts. Thought maybe something on the controller was causing it, so went ahead and installed a new one (new controller that is). Plugged in the new transformer, flipped the power bar to on, and it powered up. Great, so went to install the zone wiring...still on. Reinstalled the smart port wiring...then noticed it was off. Transformer tested at 0 volts. *** man?

So essentially it has blown three transformers (the original and then two new ones) Nothing on the wiring is unusual. I've wired nearly 100 of these same controllers over the years and never have experienced a problem like this. The only thing I can think of is something is faulty in the smart port harness...I guess. I mean everything has been replaced now expect for the smart port, and they do attach right onto the power supply terminals.

What a joke. So I will have to return tomorrow morning with another new transformer (ran out today) and replace the smart port and pray the dang transformer remains alive.

Any idears or experience with this? :alien::alien::alien:
    2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 and future 2015 LSF RECEPTED AWARD recipient!

Hortikulture Kolledge Grad + Licensed Master Irrigator + Certified Backflow Technician +
    Licensed Fert & Squirt Applicator = Jack of all trades, master of none.

Re: Transformers keep going bad!?

Thought I'd provide an update. Yep, the smart port harness was the culprit. There were no appliances on the circuit the controller is plugged into. I read appliances can cause havoc on sensitive electronics. Anyhow, ruled that out. As mentioned before, I had 122 volts at the outlet. I left the smart port wiring off the terminals on the controller - wired in the new transformer - all worked well. It wasn't until I went to remove the smartport harness to replace that I noticed exactly why it was blowing the transformers. On this install, multistrand wire runs from the outside up to the exterior garage wall. From there it enters PVC conduit and snakes into the interior of the garage through a small hole drilled into the mortar between bricks...and then up to the controller. As mentioned, this wiring is all encased in conduit, except where it runs through the masonry. The smart port harness runs just to the outside of the house in the same conduit. Over the years the ground has settled around the foundation of the home, pulling the conduit with it. It probably had dropped 3" or so. This left the wiring exposed, but it also was pulled the wiring tight. As it ends up, the smart port harness is not protected well (non-shielded). Being pulled tight and tight right on the brick masonry eventually rubbed the insulation off the wires. I would suppose the clay soil shrinking and expanding with moisture pushed and pulled on the wire as well??? At any rate, once you'd install the two 12v leads on the harness to the controller, the wires were in contact with each other and would short out the transformer.
    2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 and future 2015 LSF RECEPTED AWARD recipient!

Hortikulture Kolledge Grad + Licensed Master Irrigator + Certified Backflow Technician +
    Licensed Fert & Squirt Applicator = Jack of all trades, master of none.

Comment

Working...
    X