Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Later he says, I bid all my jobs cheap, so I can get them.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Later he says, I bid all my jobs cheap, so I can get them.

Hello Everybody,

OK, I'm at the lawn mower shop. This guy comes in with a real ragamuffin homeowner mower. He says he's a commercial cutter carrying mower in back of older Chevy S10. He needs it repaired on the spot, he's in the middle of a job. So I decide to do it on the spot.

He needed a blade, filter & plug. The bill is like $35 or $40, he does not have the money. He didn't think the bill should be that much. (Hmmm? I'm thinking)

Commercial cutter & not a couple of 20's, Credit Card or check, not an onion? He is back an hour later. I get to talking to him, the lawn he was doing was $30. I know that area well it's a few blocks from here. I said most of those are $45 to $65 lawns for mowing, blowing, trimming and edging. I'm thinking I really need to talk to this guy. Low & behold he says...

"I bid all my jobs cheap and I mean really cheap, so I can get them". I don't have time to ride all over the country bidding, waiting on them to call (no cell phone) & make an appointment to cut & bla bla bla? He's been doing this for years, by himself?

So I got his phone number, should I use him on my lawn, try to help him or what? No I can't let him cut at my house or the shop because he's not licensed or insured. The rate he's going he never will be. The part that worries me the most is, He's been doing this for years, by himself.
    GrassMaster, LSF Administrator!
    LawnPro - Lawn Care Business Software:
    www.lawnbook.com --- www.lawnservicing.com

Re: Later he says, I bid all my jobs cheap, so I can get them.

No expenses to speak of. He's probably making more profit per lawn than the company charging $45-60 sending out their employees to cut it. That's how he's been doing this for years. The fact he's not licensed or insured doesn't bother him. I would bet he could care less about upgrading equipment either - sounds content with his crusty push mower.
    2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 and future 2015 LSF RECEPTED AWARD recipient!

Hortikulture Kolledge Grad + Licensed Master Irrigator + Certified Backflow Technician +
    Licensed Fert & Squirt Applicator = Jack of all trades, master of none.

Comment

Hello MASTERMOWER,

I'm guessing he's never been hurt or unable to work and he must not have much to lose if he hurts somebody or does major damage to something.
      I wouldn't be able to sleep at night, I'm a big old worry wart.
      GrassMaster, LSF Administrator!
      LawnPro - Lawn Care Business Software:
      www.lawnbook.com --- www.lawnservicing.com

Comment

$40 for a blade plug and filter and labor? Your a good man :laughing:
        If you feel that you must burn our flag, please wrap yourself in it first.

Comment

Working...
        X