Grass seed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grass seed

Hello all. Just joined today. I am in New Jersey and not a lawn professional. Have a question about grass seed. First let me explain what the situation is. I just had a new front walkway installed and half of the front yard landscaped. This left quite a bit of bare spots that the contractor placed fresh top soil and grass seed. This was 8 days ago. I have been watering the areas every day. First time is around 3pm and the second time is just before dark right around 730pm to 8pm. I am seeing quite a bit of germination in certain areas and bare spots in others.

How long should I wait before assuming that the bare spots will not grow in? I have no idea what type of grass seed or brand was used. So I am unsure how long it will take for the grass to grow. Would it be a safe bet that after two weeks time if I do not see germination that it is safe to assume that any remaining grass seed has died? How long should I wait before trying to seed the bare areas to get the lawn complete?

Sorry that was more than one question. Need some assistance. Thanks in advance

Don

Re: Grass seed

If you are watering every day and it has not grown after 2 weeks then its safe to assume it will not grown
    http://homelawn.net

Comment

Planting Grass Seed on Bare Soil

1. Loosen the soil to a depth of 2-3 inches. The ideal seedbed will have soil particles ranging from pea to walnut size. This will give the seeds a place to lodge. DO NOT make a powdery seedbed, which will be prone to becoming hard and caked after heavy rains.

2. Rake and level off the area with a heavy garden rake. Avoid low spots that collect water and high spots that would be scalped by mowing. Remove all sticks, stones, pebbles and debris.

3. Fertilize soil with a 10-10-10 or 9-17-9 fertilizer, or a seed starter food. Apply fertilizer with a spreader for even coverage, use a shaker can or carefully sprinkle by hand over smaller areas.

4. Plant seed using a spreader for larger areas. Scatter seed by hand over smaller spots. Try to achieve a distribution pattern where seeds are just beginning to touch each other.

5. Blend seed into the soil by dragging a flexible metal leaf rake across the seedbed.

6. Roll the area lightly to firm the seed into the soil. Drag a leaf rake lightly across the rolled area to prevent any crust from forming when the area is watered. Mulch the area (especially if it's in a sunny or windy spot) with straw or peat moss to shade seed and slow water evaporation. Apply straw until half the soil is still visible. Cover over seedbed lightly or completely if using peat moss.

7. Water once or twice a day to keep the top inch of soil damp. Water frequently and lightly for the first 2 to 3 weeks, just to keep the upper bit of soil moist. As the fine green blades begin to appear, water less often but more deeply to encourage roots to grow deep into the soil. Continue watering occasionally for 2 months to ensure grass plants get a good roothold.
      Lawn Sprinkler Systems Installer Oakville

Comment

Working...
      X